+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, External Huts connection in Technical; Hi, We have a temporary (15 years ago) classroom which is about 30 metres away from the main building. It ...

Thank Post

External Huts connection

Hi,

We have a temporary (15 years ago) classroom which is about 30 metres away from the main building. It is split in to 3 rooms, 2 of which are normal small teaching rooms and the 3rd is a community room which can be used by various members of the community for meetings and the like.

I have been asked to put some computers in there so the community side of things can help people with job hunting and improve their work skills, however I am very reluctant to provide network/internet access to it for fear of viruses or any other type of attack on the schools network.

So I'm basically asking would you put them in? Would you allow network access and if so how would you keep it secure? I've got a Ruckus wireless system and all Cisco switches if that makes a difference. If I was to go down the route of putting some sort of network connection in there I would like to be able to provide connection both for the community and for our teaching staff.

Any ideas gratefully received.
    Rich

Thank Post
    I'd probably SteadyState + Guest internet access through ruckus

3. Thanks to Dom_ from:

stevenlong1985 (13th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wire them into a separate vlan, "freeze" the computers (eg: deep freeze/steady state), very locked down user accounts, automatically restart after idle X period so they return to the frozen state.

Thank Post
    Don't expect any technology to last long in a hut. We used to have huts for English, the hard of hearing speaker system and only projector that ever went in a hut were nicked after just a few weeks of being in there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    I am very reluctant to provide network/internet access to it for fear of viruses or any other type of attack on the schools network.
    How are the precautions you need to take going to be any different from those which you need to take on a day-to-day basis anyway? I would have thought your average school pupil would be more resourceful than your average member of the public when it comes to introducing viruses, bypassing filters, etc, so I'd have thought if you've got it covered from a pupil point of view then you should be able to handle pretty much anything the general public can do.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread