+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Consumer Switches in Technical; Was just curious about netgear vs linksys as far as switches go as will likely get a gigabit one in ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Was just curious about netgear vs linksys as far as switches go as will likely get a gigabit one in the new year but just curious as to which is better.

You mentioned you would get linksys over netgear anyday - why is that or what made you make that comment ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 6th October 2009 at 08:02 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Was just curious about netgear vs linksys as far as switches go as will likely get a gigabit one in the new year but just curious as to which is better.

You mentioned you would get linksys over netgear anyday - why is that or what made you make that comment ?
    the linksys too come with a lifetime warentee, nothing wrong with netgear as people have stated.

if i were to try and do a like for like comparison of a netgear product i would say the GSM7324 is close to the linksys2024 in spec and probably about the same in performance. but i've found it for 415£ (netgear) where the linksys i can find for 220£. so for the monney you get more with linksys.

with the cheaper netgear stuff the....
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    only issue we sometimes have with them is having to manually hard reset their power if the DHCP goes down.
    i use the cheaper stuff without issue in a production enviroment...
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    i've been netgear at home for a long time now - no issues at all. thats with 2dc's, 5 clients, web server and net storage.
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Just for info, Netgear as a company uses its own switches to run its own network - they're not just domestic, low spec systems (although they do make cheap and cheerful for home use)
    we use both (cheaper and more expensive) on our network wihtout any issues other than the one mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    There is nothing at all wrong with Netgear switches in a production enviroment. All of teh ones I've ever used have been solid and reliable. Do you just have some kind of unfounded predudice? And what do you mean by 'consumer' switches? Unmanaged you mean? But hang on, my router at home with 4 port GB switch is managed? And it's Netgear! Not sure what you are trying to get at here.
    i agree, nothing wrong with netgear - you just get more for your monney with the linksys2024 than you can get for equilivent money from netgear. thats really my only point. even tho now reading back - the linksys2024 isn't a consumer switch so is off topic. i think consumer switches are the cheaper smaller swites that are made to ''look nice'' and sit on peoples desks. like the white ones from netgear?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use a number of dg834gt 4 port wireless devices around my home,. pick the sky branded ones up for a song on ebay, and then can just reflash them with the normal firmware. Got two of them for about 5 pounds each.

Thank Post
    I must concur, Netgear mini-switches are great. Make sure you get the metal ones though, rather than the white plastic ones. There's something about a nice weighty piece of metal with flashing lights

5, 8 & 16 Port Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) Network Switch GS105, GS108, GS116

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    wouldn’t use netgear in a big production network such as school
    Why's that then? The ProSafe line are ment for just that. I have all manor of different models from Layer 2/3, POE and small 8 port jobbies and over the past 5 years only had one issue with a 48 port model (FS750T) that failed withing a week, and then the replacement did the same with the same fault. Had it replaced with 2 24p Pro Curves and has been fine, so I am guessing a bad batch maybe.

I'm sure many others use Netgear in their networks aswell.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    I'm sure many others use Netgear in their networks aswell.
    Yeah I inherited a mix of switches, some Cisco, Netgear, Linksys, Networx, Planet, Gigamedia, a real melting pot.

Can't say that I have had any more problems with Netgear than anything else.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I sometimes get the feeling that there's a weird snobbishness about network equipment. In the past I've tried to get Cisco, HP and 3Com to explain why their switches are better than (say) DLink or Netgear and they never seem able to do it.

Obviously the cheap 5 port "home" switches are no match for a managed ProCurve but if you're comparing layer 3 managed switches from (say) Netgear with those from HP the list of specs look pretty similar but the Netgear are cheaper. What do you get for all that extra money???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I recently bought a HP 8 Port GB but it wasnt cheap but I know its rock solid:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/ProCurve-Switch-1400-8G-100Base-TX-1000Base-T/dp/B000P4NH8I]HP ProCurve Switch 1400-8G - Switch - 8 ports: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12