+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, New Wireless setup in Technical; As part of our technology plan for the next few years, I've taken the task of implementing wireless technology to ...

Thank Post

New Wireless setup

As part of our technology plan for the next few years, I've taken the task of implementing wireless technology to our school to broaden our education needs. Looking for some help or advice from people in the education system first that understands our situation. Talking to vendors, they will just try to take as money from us as they can. We have a 3k budget for this. I've setup small home wireless networks but I know with this project, it's going to require a more secure and managable system.

Site Overview: Already an existing LAN system with firewall/AD/exchange/file servers so the wireless will just be an integration. Location is approximately 210ft x 75ft. Plan is to cut the school into three zones (70ftx75 per zone). There is an upper and lower floor per zone. There are a mixture of concrete and dry wall throughout the building. Depending on how strong the wireless router is, I plan to put one or two AP per zone.

These are some of the things I've figure out from research below that I'd like.

AP requirement:

1. Wireless N, G, B compatibility
    2. Level of setup: moderate as I'm planning on researching and doing it myself.
    3. POE if available
    4. Seamless roaming through different APs
    5. VLAN to separate internal network. Guest account capabilities. (Multiple profiles: student, staff, admins, contractors)
    6. Need Wireless Access controller to maintain all APs
    7. dual band.
    8. gigabyte APs

I've looked at the HP ProCurve brand but it seems to be way out of the budget. I've also look at the Cisco WAP4400N and it seems to be what i'm leaning towards (can't seem to find a controller to match with it). Are there they other products that you guys have used that has worked really well. What is reasonable with my budget?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    KY
    Last edited by kaoyang; 2nd October 2009 at 06:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They are all going to scream Ruckus, but i dont think its made it over there unfortunately...

3. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

kaoyang (6th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have procuve wireless (Colubris) and I would not recommend. I would recommend a wireless vlan if you have a flat network. The other thing is AP placement the aerial should be out of the ceiling space.

Wireless cannot be bought as a box you need a contract that state it the finished article (a wireless network to cover x area's) that is being delivery!!! You need to do a cost per boxes exercise and then say you will work with the chosen supplier to delivery the solution. Or employ a consultant to do the design directly with your chose AP. I have had e-mail contact with a guy at Holland Christian Schools who had used cisco and ruckus they have deployed ruckus. Just look at the costs!!! Also school are an unusual users of wifi we what 30 client in one room and another 30 next door!!

5. Thanks to nicholab from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    They are all going to scream Ruckus, but i dont think its made it over there unfortunately...
    Nope it is in the USA Little Miss So yes Ruckus will be a good product for you - Ruckus Wireless should have a list of US Dealers for you to contact.

7. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ah! My bad!

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. From research, the Ruckus seems really nice and would fit all my needs. With my site layout, any recommendation on getting 2 or 3 APs? 3 would be really close to my limit.

Any thoughts on SonicWall products. The school currently have it as the main firewall. Be nice to keep one product line. It seems to be around the same price line as the Ruckus.

-KY

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread