+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Advice Please! in Technical; Hi, Just after some advise really. We are running out of space on the server. Were currently running a server ...

Thank Post

Advice Please!

Hi,

Just after some advise really.

We are running out of space on the server. Were currently running a server with AD, DNS, DHCP and user files. Another server is running SIMS & Exchange and one running other software etc...

We will be soon adding another 50 users on to the network and i need to plan what is the best route to go down for the future?!
    To overcome this i recently upped the space on the array. Would you guys suggest getting a file server or is there something else on the market to help me with my problem.

Thank you!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

First of all i would think of moving your file storage of your main server, but the storage on its own dedicated box (now the storage could! go on a dedicated NAS but you would have to make sure then you connect the NAS to your domain so you can still lock the folders down with permissions etc.)

Server01 - AD, DNS, DHCP
    Server02 - File Storage

^^ the above would answer your questions, the below is just something you might want to think about in the future, depending on how big your network is ^^

Is Exchange and SIMS on the same physical box? (no Virtualization)

If so, i would also think about giving SIMS and Exchange there own Dedicated Boxes, or Consider purchasing a high end HOST and having exchange virtualized, and sims (front end) virtualized with a Dedicated PHYSICAL SQL Server.

You can get away with the SIMS Database being on a Virtual Machine as well, it is just not recommended.

Server03 - Exchange
    Server04 - SIMS

and then your applications server which i am guessing is fine

Server05 - Apps

Sound like a plan?

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 27th September 2009 at 04:03 PM.

3. Thanks to EduTech from:

rjones (27th September 2009)

Thank Post
    Assuming your existing servers are all working OK, what I would do if you think you're going to run out of space is 1 of 2 things.

Either;

1. Expand the storage in the existing server, and keep things setup as they are.
    2. Purchase a new server to use as a storage server and move all the file storage onto this, or split it 50/50 with the existing server.

You don't say how big the network is as a whole, or how many users in total so this would have to be taken into consideration as well as the age of the existing servers - if they are all getting on a bit it could be an ideal opportunity for a mass re-design of the servers and their roles, as some of the systems i.e exchange should really be on their own dedicated server, but it all depends on the size of the network and number of users using it.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 27th September 2009 at 04:03 PM.

5. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    We are running out of space on the server. Were currently running a server with AD, DNS, DHCP and user files. Another server is running SIMS & Exchange and one running other software etc...
    How old is the server and how many hard drive(s) do you have installed with what capacity?

Thank Post
    Thank you!

We have about 300 users and 60 mail boxes. Is there an issue with keeping exchange and SIMS together on the same server?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones View Post
    Thank you!

We have about 300 users and 60 mail boxes. Is there an issue with keeping exchange and SIMS together on the same server?
    @ that size no probably not to be honest, so in that case you should be ok if you do expand alot in the future then that is something you might want to look at.

If you start to get problems with regards to SIMS being slow etc then again you might also want to think about it.

James.

9. Thanks to EduTech from:

Thank Post
    Sounds like a relatively small system to me, so as said you should be fine with SIMS and Exchange co-existing on the same server.

What I would be tempted to do is to buy a second server, and make that into a second Domain Controller for your domain with DNS services as well. Then split your user accounts home areas between the two. That way not only are you solving the storage problems, but you're also introducing some fault tollerance into your domain which can't be a bad thing.

With that number of users, assuming a maximum of half of them are likely to be using the network at once, I don't see a problem with the Domain controllers also acting as the storage servers as well.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 27th September 2009 at 04:59 PM.

11. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    James,

Would you still recommend getting a file server?
    Last edited by rjones; 27th September 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    file servers are always good to have! however I personally wouldnt have SIMS and Exchange on the same server, just incase, a problem with one means fixing it takes the other offline for a while. I wouldnt virtualise them either, have them on there own individual boxes!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rjones View Post
    James,

Would you still recommend getting a file server?
    File Servers are always very useful to have, even thought i cannot argue with what has been said above as it can work that way i would still recommend if you can get a file server.

Secondary DC's are always handy as well for failover

Not everyone agree's with Virtualizing SIMS/Exchange but i have done and i have never had any problems.. one thing i would not do is virtualized SQL Servers which is why the SIMS Database is on its down physical box.

Exchange although it does use SQL i have not had any problems with these being virtulized.

Most of our network is now running on a VM's, apart from SQL Servers and File Servers (Which will be on SAN's soon)

Thank Post
    Hi

As the system grown it might be worth thinking about a second domain controller, printer server, and an update server holding wsus and sophos console if you use it. Dont put the print server on a critical server as poor drivers will mean you might have to reboot this server and if its a critical server this would cause problems.

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread