+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Port Trunking in Technical; I am trying to set up port trunking between my core switch and another switch. I just wanted to check ...
    Thank Post

Port Trunking

I am trying to set up port trunking between my core switch and another switch. I just wanted to check that i have done it right!!

Core (HP 2910al-24g) - Cables in ports 1 & 3 port trunking group 1, type LACP
    Other (HP 2650) - Cables in Ports 49 & 50 (2 feed ports) port trunking group 1, type LACP

I just tried it set to trunk not lacp and it crashed the network so i quickly unplugged it!!

I have set the ports to auto-1000 on both switches as well.

I am doing anything wrong??

Thank Post
    In theory there shouldnt be a problem using static trunks between the same manufacturer. This pretty much sums it up;

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    ..Advantages over static configuration

* Failover when a link fails and there is (for example) a Media Converter between the devices which means that the peer will not see the link down. With static link aggregation the peer would continue sending traffic down the link causing it to be lost.
    * The device can confirm that the configuration at the other end can handle link aggregation. With Static link aggregation a cabling or configuration mistake could go undetected and cause undesirable network behavior.[5]

[edit] Practical notes

LACP works by sending frames (LACPDUs) down all links that have the protocol enabled. If it finds a device on the other end of the link that also has LACP enabled, it will also independently send frames along the same links enabling the two units to detect multiple links between themselves and then combine them into a single logical link. LACP can be configured in one of two modes: active or passive. In active mode it will always send frames along the configured links. In passive mode however, it acts as "speak when spoken to", and therefore can be used as a way of controlling accidental loops (as long as the other device is in active mode).

Just checked, and ive got it set up as a trunk rather than LCAP between my switches (HP 4100 to Dell powercrap something or other [which amazingly works, as i thought we'd certainly need a new switch which supports LCAP or is atleast hp])
    Last edited by j17sparky; 25th September 2009 at 03:39 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread