+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Connect to a share on a different IP Range ... in Technical; Right, I'm trying to connect to a share from a machine on a different IP range to the one that ...
    Thank Post

Connect to a share on a different IP Range ...

Right, I'm trying to connect to a share from a machine on a different IP range to the one that the share is on (admin to curriculum basically).

I'm sure I've come across a way to do this in the past, but as I've come back to the world of IT to pay some bills, it's been a while since I did .. lol..

Basically, our office staff need to get access to our staff share on our Linux Box (shared using Samba so all windows friendly and all that) but the admin network, although sharing the same connection, is on a different IP range from the curriculum network, so it's not so easy.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank Post
    Do you have any form of router between the 2 networks?

Thank Post
    being a lovely CLEO network, we have a managed Cisco switch which is the first thing the LEA Gateway hits when coming into the school.

I can ping the IP address for the Admin network from the Curriculum network, and visa versa .. (indeed technically I can connect to any connected device on the CLEO network assuming permissions are set using RDP and the like) it's just getting that darn share to work though.

Thank Post
    so if you use either the hostname or the ip address to access the share it still does not work and is this a hidden share or what ?

Also if you access the machine via

\\Machine\X$

where X is the drive letter can you get access to the shares folder that way assuming the drive is a hidden share ?

where Machine is either the hostname ( netbios name ) or ip address of the computer in question

Thank Post
    It's not a hidden share (it possibly should be being the staff share, but we're a primary school and all the important stuff such as CPP bits and pieces are on a secure share)

I've tried accessing using \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\staff which which should give me the access I need for it, but no success, similarly using \\machinename\staff, although I didn't expect this should work anyway.

I'll go give it another go incase I've missed something stupid, but I don't think I am doing so far (though it probably will be proven that I am by the time we get to the end of this thread!)

Thank Post
    Well, it's not got working so far, so if anyone has any suggestions they wish to share .. I'd love to hear from you ..

Thank Post
    Firstly, can you ping machine from the curriculum range, if not, try machine.admindomain does this work? If not, you don't have DNS in place to see it.

Try mapping with the IP and it may well work.

8. Thanks to kmount from:

mac_shinobi (23rd September 2009)

Thank Post
    \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\C$

where C$ is the drive partition that the shared folder is on assuming the drive is a hidden share

would be good to see the resolution though assuming there arent any firewalls and routing is working correctly and assuming DNS is working if you are using hostnames ( not sure if that would work between 2 different domains unless you had trusts setup at least one if not both ways between the domains , but obviously with them being curriculum and admin am not sure you would want to do that due to security

Thank Post
    I will be sure to give that a go tomorrow when I'm back in (might play about a bit more with it at my other school where we have servers and things and not just linux shares .. GAH!)

thanks for the suggestions and I'll keep you posted!
    Andy

Thank Post
    Is there security set on the Cisco router thingy to allow the SMB packets through ?
    Depending on what switch you have will depend on how much filtering you can do on it.

Is it just this machine or are others doing the same ?

Windows doesn't like it if you are trying to attach with a different computer name, so unless they share the same DNS server you will have to make sure any aliases point to the correct name, correctly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread