+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Slow logons in one room in Technical; Hi, I'm suddenly experiencing a strange problem. In the staff room I have 3 PC's. At the end of last ...

Thank Post

Slow logons in one room

Hi, I'm suddenly experiencing a strange problem.

In the staff room I have 3 PC's. At the end of last week I had people reporting that they couldn't log on. It was getting to the "Loading personal settings" box and then taking 30 mins or so. I use roaming profiles. If I deleted the users profile on the server, the next logon would be fast but if they logged off and then logged back on again later it would be slow again. Once the machines are logged on there doesn't seem to be an issue with slow internet, network browsing etc. There are no problems anywhere else on the network and users can log on fine anywhere else.

I decided to re-image the machines seeing as there was only three. I took them out of the room and re-imaged them and they appeared to be fine when I had them in my office. I moved them back to the staff room and the problem re-appeared. Just to test I took them to another room and they worked fine there. It seems to be whenever they are in the staff room that the problem occurs, outside the staff room they're fine, inside, we get the slow logons. I log on as "jsmith" inside the staff room and it takes 30 mins or so, I take the machine to another room and log on as "jsmith" and it's fine, logs on as quickly as normal.

My next thought was that it could be an issue with the switch so I checked the switch. The switch has 17 other machines connected to it and none of these are reporting problems. I disconnected one of the network points and patched it into another switch and the problem still occured.

I can't really think what else it could be. It seems strange that 3 network points have suddenly become unable to logon. Like I said, once they finally get on, or if I log on as admin or a local user the network performance seems OK.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    If you plug a cable directly from the switch to the pc is there still an issue?

could be interference from power running on the same trunking maybe?

rad
    Thank Post
    swap network cables from pc to wall.

If you put another pc that is fine elsewhere in school in there what happens? Sounds like a network issue so testing the network cables using a tester is only other thing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    If you plug a cable directly from the switch to the pc is there still an issue?

could be interference from power running on the same trunking maybe?
    I've connected a cable directly from the PC to the switch and there's still a problem. I've tried it on two switches in the same cab though and it does the same. Nobody else connecting to those switches is reporting a problem though.

Thank Post
    OK, so it appears to be a problem with the switches/comms cab. The comms cab in question services the admin office and a number of whiteboard machines around school. These machines tend to be used by the same people all the time so chances are it logs them on quickly because all it needs to transfer over the network is any changes to the roaming profile if which there isn't likely to be any.

I've connnected one of the PC's from the staff room directly to all 3 switches in the cab and get the same problems. I've also connected it to a network point in the admin office and got the same problem. I also rebooted the comms cab too.

I considering after school disconnecting everything from the switches apart from the staff room PC's and seeing if it still happens. If it doesn't, I'll then re-connect everything until the problem appears and hopefully this will tell me what's causing the problem.

Thank Post
    HI

Have a look at the back of the pc and unplug the cable and see if the lights stop on. This could mean that the driver of the nic card could need updating. I have it on my list to change the switch when I have money but till then I have to pull machines out and plug them into another switch to get the nic card to work again. I think but am not sure that the switch has been hit by a power surge and been damaged but not complletly destroyed. Even reboots of the switch dont help. The worst bit is I only have the problem with one type of nic card with that switch.

Thinking about it could you move that switch somewhere else and see if the problem moves if it does it has to be the switch.

Richard

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    HI

Have a look at the back of the pc and unplug the cable and see if the lights stop on. This could mean that the driver of the nic card could need updating. I have it on my list to change the switch when I have money but till then I have to pull machines out and plug them into another switch to get the nic card to work again. I think but am not sure that the switch has been hit by a power surge and been damaged but not complletly destroyed. Even reboots of the switch dont help. The worst bit is I only have the problem with one type of nic card with that switch.

Thinking about it could you move that switch somewhere else and see if the problem moves if it does it has to be the switch.

Richard

Richard
    Cheers but I'm pretty sure it's not the PC's themselves, I've tried a different brand machine from a classroom in the staff room and that doesn't work either.

I've also tried it in all three switches in the comms cab and it doesn't work. All I can think of at the moment is that something that's connected to that cab is creating a lot of traffic or something. Shortly, when most people have gone I'm going to try unplugging everything from the switch apart from the PC I want to work and trying it then.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread