+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, VOIP & Asterisk in Technical; They upgraded the old pbx last year as the old one couldn't cope with the extra extensions required. The head ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

Re: VOIP & Asterisk

They upgraded the old pbx last year as the old one couldn't cope with the extra extensions required.

The head is quite keen on being able to contacted around site but doesn't want to use a mobile or radio so I'm thinking wireless voip but until designs based on csr's reference come out they are still expensive.

I'd like to have a phone I can use anywhere with wireless coverage though myself.

What IP system are you running?

Ben

Thank Post

I remember an ISDX (digital PBX) system that had optional analogue ports on some of the digital handsets, to allow modems and faxes to be connected. Do your phones have anything like that ?

There was one good thing about analogue extensions, they were mostly industry standard and you could just plug any phone in.

Digital extensions are often setup for just that handset model and need to be reprogrammed if you move a handset, (or featurephones as I think they like to call them !!).

The link to the BT exchange may well be ISDN, but the extensions are probably proprietry. The ISDX I mentioned did have another handset with an ISDN-2 socket, but it was also optional.

How about you tell head you need a dial-up line for backup in the server room !

Thank Post

I'm pushing for a backup ADSL line next year so that may be the point where my VOIP system comes to fruition.

There's a socket on the bottom of my phone labelled "extra" which has a piece of plastic that can be broken off covering it that could be something.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

The only part that the SMT and govenors will understand of that is "savings" anything else goes way above their heads. I have found this to be quite true in most schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

I have an Alcatel OmniPCX Enterprise system, with a handfull of VOIP users. Its a great setup, as has been said though, extensions get programmed with data about the phone so it knows the terminal (or phone if thats what you prefer to call it), hot keys, how many program buttons etc.... so its quite knoledgable.

The Extra socket you mention is probably for a phone add-on such as Hot Keys, I know mine have one (think they are marked ACC) and they snap out and have a phone connector under it (RJ11 normally) but they are not for modems etc they are for expansion modules.

The Alcatel stuff have plug in modules that do fancy things such as give you an analogue line off a digital one, gives you a ISDN modem and phone off one, connect your PC to the phone for sharing a modem / data etc... Basically they do a lot of good stuff, but its pricey and is nothing much to do with me, I may use it and help out with it but its main setup is not done by me, done by those above me.

Thank Post

Yup figured out that was what the socket was in the end the receptionists have the same phone but with a key expansion module on it.

Our PBX is a Samsung Office Srv 500 which is IP compatible but needs extrea cards to support IP phones.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

It may be worth pushing for the IP card for it as it does make savings when you think in new builds / expasnion etc you no longer need a voice panel for more extensions or to put standard sockets in (if you are still that way inclined). Also then it opens up the world to VOIP calls over your internet connection thus potentially savining money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12