+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, WPA2-PSK Group Policy on Server 2003 in Technical; Hi Guys, We set up a new Ruckus Wireless Network over the holidays and configured it with WPA2-PSK - AES ...

Thank Post

WPA2-PSK Group Policy on Server 2003

Hi Guys,

We set up a new Ruckus Wireless Network over the holidays and configured it with WPA2-PSK - AES Encryption. I have a Group Policy on one of my OU Groups (Set of Laptops on a Trolley in the Library) where I want it to connect to this Wireless SSID using the WPA2-PSk - AES, but Server 2003 doesn't give me this option. Prior to the holidays we had it working but didn't have WPA2-PSK setup.

I have followed this guide I found on the internet and have updated the 802.11Schema.ldf file on the AD Server, and have used the Windows Vista Remote Network Admin Group Policy Management tool to set the correct settings for this WiFi connection. When I do a preview of the settings on the Vista Machine for this Group Policy setting everything shows correctly, but on the Server 2003 machine when i go to view the settings, it's not correct.

My question is, should after updating the Schema on the AD server, although I can't edit the settings, should it display as being WPA2PSK as Authentication and AES as Encryption, (IE, the settings I have entered in when connected from the Vista machine) or will is still show up as what Server 2003 thinks it should be?

Cheers

Matt

Thank Post
    Hmm

We've had WPA using TKIP running on our wireless laptops assigned by GPO.
    I thoyght all we neede to do was install the GPMC update (yeah it was that long ago - 2005).

But we only did this on Server 2003 and Windows XP not Vista, which takes a little longer to fiddle as it doesn't always pick up the GPO from the domains.

I will try and dig out the instructions we had for this tomorrow - assuming I get the chance.
    It mostly came from a document co produced by Microsoft and Cisco on how to do it with Cisco APs and MS.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply...

Server 2003 DOES show settings for WPA and TKIP, but doesn't allow you to choose WPA2-PSK AES. The clients are all Windows XP machines all with Service Pack 3 installed and with all the latest updates. The only reason I mentioned Windows Vista is it would appear that you HAVE to use Windows Vista (or later) that is connected to the domain and has the Group Policy Management Snap In installed under Admin Tools in order to configure a GPO using WPA2-PSK for the Windows XP machines if using Server 2003 if you get my drift, all a very long winded way around it!

All I'm wondering is, if I have updated the AD Schema for 802.11 on the server, and I have made the GPO changes on the Vista machine (connected to our AD) , SHOULD Windows Server 2003 then see when I go into Group Policy Management, Click on Settings for the GPO Object report to come up, the correct settings I entered in on the VISTA machine, or is Server 2003 still not able to report back the correct settings beacuse it still doesn't know about it?

Cheers

Matt

Thank Post
    AFAIK you will only see and be able to edit the settings from Vista. 2003 won't even show as them having been set to WPA2 - despite the schema changes. PITA!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User3204 View Post
    Hmm

We've had WPA using TKIP running on our wireless laptops assigned by GPO.
    I thoyght all we neede to do was install the GPMC update (yeah it was that long ago - 2005).

But we only did this on Server 2003 and Windows XP not Vista, which takes a little longer to fiddle as it doesn't always pick up the GPO from the domains.

I will try and dig out the instructions we had for this tomorrow - assuming I get the chance.
    It mostly came from a document co produced by Microsoft and Cisco on how to do it with Cisco APs and MS.

Hi, I'd be interested to know how you did this as I need to do almost the exact same thing (XP and Server 2003)

If you could post or email the instructions, if you found them, I'd be most grateful

Cheers

Molesworth

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread