+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Roaming profiles and documents in Technical; this is my first post but i have a litte problem. Lots of large profiles on machines and teachers not ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Roaming profiles and documents

this is my first post but i have a litte problem. Lots of large profiles on machines and teachers not getting there profile when they move. The first thing i have done is created a roming profile for the staff. the problem i have is that at the moment there profile syncs to the server ever time they log on and off which causes heavy loads. what i want to be able to do is create direct access using there domain login while using the domain but on there laptops create a local user which when they bring the laptop and plug it in in the mornig it syncs with there domain user my docs folder and befor they shut down it syncs as then i can cut down on the number of syncs also so it syncs. each teacher has there own machine so a local user setup is not a problem. this way i will cut down the number of syncs and also i can set the gpo to delete profile on logoff. any help would be grateful.

Thank Post

Re: Roaming profiles and documents

IIRC XP does this automagically unless you disable it with a GPO. Likewise, redirected folders automagically sync.

Personally, I don't like roaming profiles for the reason that you mention... perhaps a mandatory profile with folder redirection would help you keep a check on the amount of data be moved to and fro? There's some info on the wiki about this.

Thank Post

Find out why their profiles are so large. Chances are it's lots of data in either;

MyDocuments
    Desktop
    ApplicationData

Assuming one of these is the culprit then the trick is to make sure that folder is redirected. Have a look at the wiki section on setting up roaming profiles.

You don't need a local user on your laptops. The trick there is to redirect the MyDocuments folder and XP will, as Ric says, automagically make it available offline. Laptop users can log on to their laptops using their network logon (cos XP cache's their logon details in some way) and still see their MyDocuments folder.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

the problem is not so much the profile but the my documents folder and as the profile is deleted they lose the login profile thats the reason i created a local user for them so they could log in with no profile on th pc. the problem seems to be the my docs folder. i will look at what you said thank you any more ideas i will try anything.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Most of their 'settings' are in the Application Data folder. If you redirect that (and probably their Desktop too) you can stop having the profiles roam without anything bad happening.

In any case, as others have said, redirect the My Documents. That will cut out a lot of the problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

thank for the help have done what you said and it has worked a treat thanks again

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread