+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, "Unable to recreate shares" in Technical; Whenever one of my servers boots up, there are about 300 entries for event ID 2511, saying 'The server service ...

Thank Post

"Unable to recreate shares"

Whenever one of my servers boots up, there are about 300 entries for event ID 2511, saying 'The server service was unable to recreate the share xxxx because the directory d:\xxxxx no longer exists. Please run "net share xxxxx /delete" to delete the share or recreate the directory d:\xxxxx

Now I understand why they are there, over time theres obviously been a number of folders ive forgotten to unshare before deleting: my own fault.

The thing is though, I cant delete the shares as stated, as I get a message saying the shared resource does not exist.
    The offending shares dont appear in the shares list in the shared folders snap-in either

So if the shares dont exist, or the server doesnt know about them, why is it complaining and how can I get these shares deleted?

Any searching for this issue on the net just re-iterates what is described in the log - very useful

Thank Post

Re: "Unable to recreate shares"

I had the same problem the only way I could get rid of it was to do a registry edit. Warning "I just found this worked but may send your system pear shaped". I found them in Hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\servic es\lanmanserver\shares
    and just deleted the entries

hope this helps

3. Thanks to Face-Man from:

deanrawlings (9th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread