+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Wireless Networks Thread, HP Switches + WiFi in a new 6th form block? in Technical; Bits of the building are missing. Conducting a wireless survey at this point in time would be useless....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bits of the building are missing. Conducting a wireless survey at this point in time would be useless.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Bits of the building are missing. Conducting a wireless survey at this point in time would be useless.
    Wait until its done and then get a wireless survey done and maybe get some ruckus kit out there on a trial and see how it performs and go from there because jumping in the dark some what currently ( could be wrong ) ?

Thank Post
    Hi Geoff,

If budget allows, have a look at the (J9146A) HP ProCurve 2910al-24G-PoE+ Switch which gives extra power.

Either way, watch out for the PoE. If you are going N standard wireless, on alot of vendors kit you will need a PoE+ port to run the AP's (new standard 802.3at as appose to the older 802af), as they draw more power, therfore you may need a PoE+ switch.

Again, I can only comment on the HP stuff. If you buy a dual radio AP, you only need a PoE+ port if you are running both radio's at N standard. If you are running your b/g laptops through one radio, and you N's through another, you are still fine with normal PoE.

Seriously....go N though....300Mbps to each laptop!....it's magical!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not my problem(tm).

See as the building hasn't been handed over to the school yet, it's up to the contracters to sort it out. If it's not up to the agreed building specifications (i.e. they fit kit that isn't suitable or it doesn't work) they are in trouble.

As it is I'm doing more work than i should by sending them what I think will work. But obviously it's in my best interests for them not to cock it up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle1 View Post
    Either way, watch out for the PoE. If you are going N standard wireless, on alot of vendors kit you will need a PoE+ port to run the AP's (new standard 802.3at as appose to the older 802af), as they draw more power, therfore you may need a PoE+ switch.
    At one point the only N-kit to work properly with PoE was the BlueSocket APs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567