+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Default gateway settings etc. help please. in Technical; Hello all. Ric ..It did not work . I can ping from 172.16.1.10 to 176.16.1.1 but no further and ping ...
    Thank Post

Re: Default gateway settings etc. help please.

Hello all.
    Ric ..It did not work .
    I can ping from 172.16.1.10 to 176.16.1.1 but no further and ping from 192.168.0.11 to 176.16.1.2 and no further ?.

DG Ip's

On the DC server with ip of 192.168.0.10 ...I have the router DG ip of 192.168.0.11 Is that ok ?.

On the router ( computer 1 ) with the lan ip of 192.168.0.11 ..I have the DC server DG ip of 192.168.0.10 is that ok ?.

Still on computer 1 (router) with the wifi network adapter ip of 176.16.1.1 ...I have the DG ip of 176.16.1.2 Is that ok ?. (the other wifi adapter)

On computer 2 on my diagram, the wifi network adapter of 176.16.1.2 .. I have the other wifi adapters ip of 176.16.1.1 for the DG, is that ok ?.

Still on computer 2 ( router ) on the other network adapter with the ip of 172.16.1.10 I have left it blank like you said .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plexer.. The smoothwall box is sending out the internet from its proxy setting of 192.168.0.1 and that works on all computers on the school side of the wifi link. ( on the two routers computer 1 & 2 ....
    I have NAT and Relay agent enabled ).

BEN I WILL SEND YOU A PM about access points.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gatt... Yes It would but I'm on dial up sometimes as low as 9Kbps.

networkGeezer
    I have permission to use the new broadband connection from school and I hope to run the network from home (well that's the idea).

From Michael.

Thank Post

@tickmike: Everything on the left hand side of the wifi link should have the smoothewall box as the gateway. I think it should all be OK then... if the routing on your servers is set up OK.

It would certainly be easier to stick to one IP range.

Thank Post

Hello . Do you think my new network will work better. > power cut< :x

Now the storms past over and the lightning has stopped I will re do all the message before the power goes off again !.
    From this site I could see some of you have had some rain and lightning too . http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light0900.htm

Thanks for your reply's .
    I was told It would be more secure for my home network if I did it as the network as in the diagram above.

So if I did use a single IP range say 192.168.0.1 etc.on 255.255.255.0
    See New Diagram
    Then not use computer 1 & 2 as routers ( or use two wifi
    access points instead) feed strait through to a computer that is only used for the looking after the school network from home.
    Then have a second smoothwall box so it feeds the internet through from school but makes my home network private.

Do you think this will work ?.

From Michael.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts

You could put all of your home machines behind the second smoothwall box so the smoothwall would have a red ip in the same range as your school machines and the green ip i.e your home lan could have a completely different ip range handed out by the dhcp on the smoothwall.

Then to access the school network via remote desktop or whatever you just set smoothwall up to pass that traffic along if you need to or it may just work out of the box as you are going from green to red and not any other way.

Ben

Thank Post

Hi All .

Some good news on streaming the internet over from school, I had it working about 6pm tonight, that's with my first layout then I tried part of the 'new layout' a single IP range and no routers and stopped it working altogether.
    Can ping across the wifi link OK.
    Could not ping from the 'lan' side across the wifi link to the other 'lan' IP.
    I'm thinking I read that for a multihomed computer you have to have them routed or was I dreaming again.
    I'm going to build a second smoothy box now.
    Regards Michael.

Thank Post

Would suggest that you're getting in a bit of a tangle with too many different networks.

Why use 176 addys for the USB bridges?

Either bring them onto their respective networks AND widen your subnet masks, or use tunnelling.

Thank Post

Hi, Tom_Newton and welcome,

That was a few weeks ago and I got this cheap £40 link to work so I could regain some of my free time back (also one of our members fixed me up with some redundant 'wifi bridges' that did the job).

The school has no spare cash for IT and I have set it all up for free and I look after it for free, you could say I have brought them into the 21st century, It was nice at there last 'Ofsted' and when I went over to collect my daughter from school at 4pm (she has now gone to a "big school") I was taken to one side by the ofsted inspectors and congratulated on providing the school with an excellent school network and all the other things I had signally done for that small village school.

Regards Michael.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12