+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Outages in Technical; Hi All, Having some trouble with network outages in one of our buildings. At approx 12:04 - 12:20 everyday the ...
    Thank Post

Outages

Hi All,

Having some trouble with network outages in one of our buildings.

At approx 12:04 - 12:20 everyday the network in one of our buildings dies, not started to look in depth into this yet so just wondering if anybody has any ideas?

D

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds awfully precise in the timing, also sounds like lunch time. Any staff facilities near the switch in question? Either someones plugging in a kettle (or bank of 30 laptops) and tripping the mains. Or Someone is unplugging the switch to plug in a kettle/microwave/hoover/laptop.

That'd be my first guess.

Thank Post
    If its a managed switch I'd check its uptime to see if its power is being cut , if the power is not being cut I'd use wireshark on a machine connected to the switch to see whats going on during the outage.

Thank Post
    We had a similar issue once. A student kept plugging a patch cable in to 2 live network sockets. Created a loop and took part of the network down. Took ages to locate the offending cable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markberry View Post
    We had a similar issue once. A student kept plugging a patch cable in to 2 live network sockets. Created a loop and took part of the network down. Took ages to locate the offending cable.
    I've had this a few times, which is why I make sure spanning tree is turned on on all my switches (limits the effects of the resulting storm).

I'd say if this is the cause you have one mighty kind troublesome student! To cause the loop and then 20 minutes later unplug it again. In my experience when students do this the cable is left like it until one of the technicians find it.

Thank Post
    ive noticed that shadow copy runs on our PDC and SDC at 12pm could this affect it, ive changed it to run at 12:30 to see if it happens later.

Dan

Thank Post
    Looks like it may have been some excessive jabbering on one of the ports of a switch in ICT. I have heard that this can be cased by EMI has anybody ever heard this before?

D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Looks like it may have been some excessive jabbering on one of the ports of a switch in ICT. I have heard that this can be cased by EMI has anybody ever heard this before?
    Far more likely to be misbehaving equipment on the end of the port than it is an interference issue. Did you get as far as using Wireshark to check the actual traffic or just unplugging a lead and finding things worked again?

Thank Post
    Yeah I use Wireshark and Agilent Network Analyzer Software to monitor traffic.

We have a strange pattern at the moment for Multicast traffic, its going from 1/2 to 330/350 every few seconds and then back down again, we do have a fair amount of workstations so it may be some streaming media?

D
    Attached Images Attached Images

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread