+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Network Switches in Technical; Originally Posted by bigjb Thanks for your input guys. We have around 270 stations with 1 central cabinet and 5 ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjb View Post
    Thanks for your input guys. We have around 270 stations with 1 central cabinet and 5 satellite cabinets with Trendnet switches that are 10 years old now and are unmanaged.
    How much are you spending, a school I know have bough a lot of used ProCurve 2650s off ebay. Although they're not full gigabit they have gigabit uplinks and if matched with a good gigabit core switch should be a lot faster then the switches you have (they're also managed).

One other thing, get measuring your cabinets. Modern managed switches tend to be deeper then old unmanaged ones. You might have to change some cabs (remember to make a allowance for the power cable).

Thank Post
    No issues with the HP Procurve kit here. Have 30+ switches and all run fine and no need for warranty replacements in about 5 years.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I've used HP kit in years. The newer switches are smart, run silent, full of features and easy to setup. I've had to use their warranty service once and after explaining the problem and what I had tried, they replaced the switch next day as promised.

As for going for 10/100 or Gigabit, it's really upto you, but all switches come with dual Gigabit uplinks, which are ideal for linking switches or connecting servers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    Netgear - Prosafe products Limited Lifetime warranty (5Yrs) proof of purchase needed for warranty all products must be registered all support calls escalated to Ireland before authorising warranty swaps have waited up to a week to get a failed unit swapped.
    Cheap - Probably the lowest cost per port for an enterprise class device.
    If I have one complaint about Netgear Switches it would be the firmware updates/changes.
    You can have some real issues if you do not upgrade an entire family of devices to match each other.
    You are wrong on the Netgear stuff, all ProSafe stuff is now Lifetime warranty not the 5 years it used to be to match the likes of HP. Yes it should be registered, BUT you can do it at time of fault, never had a problem on time-scales of doing it this way, but as you should be doing for your Asset Register you should have details of the Serial Number, Model, Order number etc so just register it then its much easier.

Its certainly cheap but functional, it does have its own "language" at times though as I found out when a friend was helping me do a VLAN on one about 2 years ago the names and stuff he was telling me just didn't exist! (Yes we found it in the end etc )

I run Netgear stuff and love it, with my budget HP stuff is out of the question at the swtich side of things, its hard enough getting HP Desktops and Laptops at times.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    You are wrong on the Netgear stuff, all ProSafe stuff is now Lifetime warranty not the 5 years it used to be to match the likes of HP.
    I stand corrected by my learned friend....

Lifetime Warranty

But I have to say I much prefer the more liberal HP approach to warranty transfer.

Thank Post
    I think the conversation is a bit pointless until you specify some more details such as:
    -the size of the network (how many nodes)
    -are you currently running or planning to run voice and video e.g QoS requirements
    -what sort of data applications your using
    - how redundant the network needs to be
    - what kinds of security features needed in place e.g are you planning NAC or 802.1x
    - what are you planning on the wireless front e.g manged wireless system such as aruba
    - what you feel most comfortable managing

also the quote below is rubbish as Procurve are not the market leaders. Cisco currently own the largest market share of switching. Procurve stuff is good but just not as good as Cisco, but you get what you pay for!

Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    HP Procurve are the leaders at the moment. I have never had to test the lifetime warranty as I've not had one fail in 5 years.

Butuz
    Last edited by jam3s; 25th June 2009 at 10:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jam3s View Post
    also the quote below is rubbish as Procurve are not the market leaders. Cisco currently own the largest market share of switching. Procurve stuff is good but just not as good as Cisco, but you get what you pay for!
    Lol - if it was not for HP you would still be paying 2500 for a 24 port Cisco switch. HP have driven Cisco to where they are today IMHO by 5-7 years ago offering 95% of the functionality at under 50% of the cost (originally). Now cisco have lowered their prices so much there is alot less in it I agree.

Butuz

Thank Post
    We use the eXtreme stuff, as far as I recall, there hasn't been a single problem since I started in September, we've done the usual switch restarts during the holidays to see if anything crops up but they just work regardless!

Thank Post
    yea i agree the market competitiveness is important

i think each solution is good in its own environment. I was just pointing out its not as simple as just pick a vendor and run with it. need to look more at the requirements of the organization.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you're kinda way off base there... Yes Cisco are still the market leader, in some areas, and in some countries (for example HP are the market leader in Finland IIRC). Also, on features, the new HP switches have pretty much all of the functionality of the Cisco equipment now. In a school situation, you would *never* need the extra few functions that Cisco offers.

So, it isn't a case of getting what you pay for, more a case of paying for something you'll never use, and a name badge.

Thank Post
    I Used Linksys (now badged as cisco small buisness) gigabit unmanaged switchs for 3 primary schools and have had all of them fail (within warenty period admitted 2 years) sent first few back to netherland at 20 each postage and had them replaced with new after but took about a month to come, out of 12 switches 1 is still working. we have replaced them with hp procurve 1800s and they are ace

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I think you're kinda way off base there... Yes Cisco are still the market leader, in some areas, and in some countries (for example HP are the market leader in Finland IIRC). Also, on features, the new HP switches have pretty much all of the functionality of the Cisco equipment now. In a school situation, you would *never* need the extra few functions that Cisco offers.

So, it isn't a case of getting what you pay for, more a case of paying for something you'll never use, and a name badge.
    Currently I think you are correct however with voice and video I think Cisco are going to become far more attractive. many schools and college don't seem to have a clue about building LAN's and often create huge broadcast domains with no way of controlling security or broadcasts. which is why i think its more important to look at the requirements first and get a good design before just randomly saying X vendor is the best BUY BUY BUY.

if your looking at VoIP for the future it makes a huge amount of sense to have your phones the same vendor as the network. so when it all goes wrong there's only one person to blame.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    if your looking at VoIP for the future it makes a huge amount of sense to have your phones the same vendor as the network. so when it all goes wrong there's only one person to blame.
    Otherwise known as 'putting all your eggs in one basket'

Also, you're assuming Cisco would be providing the phone systems? Not here, and not in any school I know of either - far too expensive, and to be honest, it doesn't offer anything that schools need over, say, a Samsung system or the Asterisk system we have here.

Also, VOIP is handled perfectly well (as is video) on HP switches... We use both here, with QoS enabled and working fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Otherwise known as 'putting all your eggs in one basket'

Also, you're assuming Cisco would be providing the phone systems? Not here, and not in any school I know of either - far too expensive, and to be honest, it doesn't offer anything that schools need over, say, a Samsung system or the Asterisk system we have here.

Also, VOIP is handled perfectly well (as is video) on HP switches... We use both here, with QoS enabled and working fine.
    I still don't think you getting what i am saying. the requirements of the network have to be looked at first before just shouting vendor names.

and also technically if your going on price 3com actually work out much cheaper than Procurve for often the same features and more.

Also, you're assuming Cisco would be providing the phone systems?
    no i am not 3com also produce networking and a phone system
    Last edited by jam3s; 25th June 2009 at 11:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I still don't think you getting what i am saying. the requirements of the network have to be looked at first before just shouting vendor names.

and also technically if your going on price 3com actually work out much cheaper than Procurve for often the same features and more.

no i am not 3com also produce networking and a phone system
    No, I get what you're saying.

And, 3com?? Are you insane?! Every experience I've ever had of them is that of poor quality devices, that broke down constantly, and had to wait an age to get replaced...

Shouting vendor names works for schools as most schools have very similar infrastructure requirements. ie. core switch connecting to a load of edge switches with lots of computers on each. Not a massive amount of variation here.

Hence shouting HP - as it is based on people's experiences with the equipment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast