+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Microsoft Office 2007 pro plus in Technical; HI Could someone help. I am wanting to deploy office 2007 pro plus through group policy. I have copied the ...
    Thank Post

Microsoft Office 2007 pro plus

HI

Could someone help. I am wanting to deploy office 2007 pro plus through group policy. I have copied the install files from the cd and have run the customization wizard from the cd using setup.exe /admin and I have copied this to the update folder.

Now if I run the setup it installs great and with all the customizations. No Problem.

But how do I get it to install with group policy. Please please can someone help.

Thanks everyone.

Richard

Thank Post
    Hi Richard, hope this helps, I have tried to be simple as possible !

Good luck ...

Create a Group Policy Object

To create a Group Policy object (GPO) to use to distribute the software package:
    Start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. To do this, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
    In the console tree, right-click your domain, and then click Properties.
    Click the Group Policy tab, and then click New.
    Type a name for this new policy (for example, Office XP distribution), and then press ENTER.
    Click Properties, and then click the Security tab.
    Click to clear the Apply Group Policy check box for the security groups that you want to prevent from having this policy applied.
    Click to select the Apply Group Policy check box for the groups that you want this policy to apply to.
    When you are finished, click OK.

Assign a Package

To assign a program to computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows XP Professional, or to users who are logging on to one of these workstations:
    Start the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in. To do this, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
    Click the Group Policy tab, select the group policy object that you want, and then click Edit.
    Under Computer Configuration, expand Software Settings.
    Right-click Software installation, point to New, and then click Package.
    In the Open dialog box, type the full Universal Naming Convention (UNC) path of the shared installer package that you want. For example, \\file server\share\file name.msi.

Important Do not use the Browse button to access the location. Make sure that you use the UNC path to the shared installer package.
    Click Open.
    Click Assigned, and then click OK. The package is listed in the right pane of the Group Policy window.
    Close the Group Policy snap-in, click OK, and then quit the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
    When the client computer starts, the managed software package is automatically installed.

Publish a Package

To publish a package to computer users and make it available for installation from the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel:
    Click the Group Policy tab, click the group policy object that you want, and then click Edit.
    Under User Configuration, expand Software Settings.
    Right-click Software installation, point to New, and then click Package.
    In the Open dialog box, type the full UNC path of the shared installer package that you want. For example, \\file server\share\file name.msi.

Important Do not use the Browse button to access the location. Make sure that you use the UNC path to the shared installer package.
    Click Open.
    Click Publish, and then click OK.
    The package is listed in the right pane of the Group Policy window.
    Close the Group Policy snap-in, click OK, and then quit the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in.
    Test the package:

Note Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
    Log on to a workstation that is running Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional by using an account that you published the package to.
    In Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    Double-click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Add New Programs.
    In the Add programs from your network list, click the program that you published, and then click Add. The program is installed.
    Click OK, and then click Close.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You asked this in your other thread, and i did explain how to do so

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/networ...nt-design.html

James.

Thank Post
    I know edutech. I have had a look at the install dvd that I have and its not the enterprise version but a education version of offce 2007 with a vle version so I have a small problem. I am trying to get the enterprise version at the moment.

I install huge amounts of software using group policy but this one has been a pain and I got stuck with this one.

I have managed to get it to install automatically if I log onto the machine and run a bat command with "\\networklocation\setup.exe" /adminfile "\\networklocation\xxx.MSP" but thats not exactly what I need.

Richard

Thank Post
    i use the following batch file assigned as a startup script (the only option on the policy) then take auth users off the permissions and add an office 07 group into which i place the pcs i want
    Code:
    rem @ECHO OFF
    REM --- Check for an existing installation of office07
    if exist "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\excel.exe" goto _End
    "\\server\office12$\setup.exe" /adminfile "\\server\office12$\Office12.msp"
    REM --- End of the script
    :_End
    not the flashest script ever but it works (just make sure when you create your msp you set the display level to minimal/off (i wouldnt do off as you/users have no idea if the pc is deploying it)

6. 3 Thanks to sted:

ricki (16th June 2009), roty80 (24th June 2009), talksr (23rd May 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi ricki,

If you did want to deploy Office2007 properly via Group Policy's instead of using batch files this thread should point you in the right direction Editing config xml file to install office

It works well

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread