+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Switch topology in Technical; Hi, I'm looking for advice re connecting our main switches... To cut a moderatly long story slightly shorter, we have ...
    Thank Post

Question Switch topology

Hi,

I'm looking for advice re connecting our main switches...
    To cut a moderatly long story slightly shorter, we have a Windows 2003 Domain, and we're currently running pretty much all 'dumb' d-link des-1024's switches on our site, with most being connected to one of our two core Procurve 1800-24 switches.
    Because of the impending installation a VOIP phone system, and replacing the wireless LAN, I will be changing most of the d-links with either Procurve or Netgear 'Smart' POE/Gigabit switches for their VLAN/QOS capabilities (also a good excuse to run gigabit to the workstations too).
    What I was wondering was how best to connect the switches when they are replaced:
    1 - each sub switch to the core switches
    2 - 'daisy-chain' one switch off the other from core switches down.

I am also moving the servers from their current location (my tinitis-ridden office ) to a dedicated server room which will be linked to my office via 8-core fibre (which i will probably trunk to provide 2Gbps between the two rooms with the Procurve 1800s). Half the school is cabled back to my office and half to the new server room.
    Another question: Do people reckon Procurve 1800s are good for cores, and if not, any suggestions?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Avoid the daisy chain where possible. procurve 1800 isnt really ideal for core as its a relatively basic Layer 2 switch, the 2900 series upwards would be a better bet but is understandably much more expensive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    Avoid the daisy chain where possible. procurve 1800 isnt really ideal for core as its a relatively basic Layer 2 switch, the 2900 series upwards would be a better bet but is understandably much more expensive.
    Are there any other alternative netgears?

Thank Post
    The netgear GSM7352S is the closest comparable to the HP 2900 series. Just take a look on the netgear and HP websites under layer 3 managed and see what would best suit your needs, depending on the number of fibre connections you might have or require in the future you might want to go with something which can take more Mini-GBIC modules the netgear GSM7312 looks pretty flexible but i have little experience with netgear switches.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread