+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Setting up a P2P WIFI link in Technical; If there is a DNS entry for Computer2 in the DNS server used by Computer1 then that's why the ping ...

Thank Post

Re: Setting up a P2P WIFI link

If there is a DNS entry for Computer2 in the DNS server used by Computer1 then that's why the ping fails because it's looking for Computer2 in the 192.16.1.0 subnet.

Mark is right you should define your subnets more carefully. Use for the school 192.168.0.0 and 172.16.0.0 for the WIFI link. That way it' s easier to see where the packet data to be sent depending on whether each machine is talking to its own LAN or across the WIFi link.

Set the IPs on the WiFI cards to eb something like Computer 1 172.16.1.1 sm (255.255.255.0) and Computer 172.16.1.2 same sm

Thank Post

Hi. Mark .ITWombat
    So do I use ONE.. DNS server on the DC 192.168.0.10 and all the dns ip box's on the NIC properties are set to that one address ?.even that I'm going to have two networks joined together with a wifi link through the two routers.
    All the above on post at 10.40 pm are Static ip addresses .

I have never run any script before ! ? !

As you can see in my signature this is new to me . what I will try to do tomorrow night is to set up all the ip addresses on this test network as I will have to get it sorted before I set it up at school.
    I Thank you for your help tonight .

Regards Michael.

Thank Post

Reading back through and noting that ZoneAlarm *cue: screaming into the hills* is involved you might want to check these settings...

Firewall > Main > Trusted Zone Security

If the setting is "High" then you can't share folders on the machine.. You need to drop it to "Med."

You should also check that you do have the correct IP in the Zones and set to "Trusted".

Finally, re: the DNS, you could always get the MAC address for your different NIC's and set up reservations in your DHCP service so they get the same IP each time. That way, gateway/DNS settings, etc.. are definitely correct.

Just a thought in all of this so feel free to ignore if you've already triple checked this lot..

Thank Post

Hi contink .
    Looking at the two test computers 1&2 , I was mistaken they do Not have zonealarm on them, Its my other test workstations that have it on And yes I found out the hard way years ago about the settings on it.

Just going back, what I want to do is :-

1..connect the School network (it will be on a domain with a HP netserver 2000 [not yet set up] ) it will have about 30 workstations and computer 1 (that is used for part of my wifi link from school set up as a router ).

2..wifi link.

3..At home I will have computer 2 (that is used for part of my wifi link from home set up as a router ).and will have a work station at home to access the school network and the rest of my home network.

Questions.

A...From the threads last night I must only have one Dns server ? Set up on the school server ? what about my home net work will that then use the school one or do I still need one on home network ?.

B... On the DHCP set up do I just want it set up on the school server ?. and what about my home network ?.

Regards.

Thank Post

Hello all . Help.
    If someone could give me some answers also for the previous post of mine I would be grateful.

Just an update on what I have done to this test set up.

I have set all the nic's properties DNS setting's to the DC 192.168.0.10 that has DNS enabled .
    And turned off any other DNS servers.
    I can access both the computer 1 ( ip = 176.16.1.1) & computer 2 (ip = 176.16.1.2) each way . so far so good. I can access the internet on computer 2 across the link ok.

If now on computer 2, I plug in a workstation [ws1]( to represent my home network), It will not set an ip address from DHCP server that's on the DC ( but that's on an different ip range !!!).
    So I tried turning on DHCP on computer 2 that did not work.
    I then set up the ip addresses on the workstation [ws1] and it made the connection , But,
    .. could only see computer 2 .
    ..could not see any computers across the link.
    .. could not use the internet across the link via computer 2.

I'm in a mess to what to set all the default gateways settings.

From Michael.

Thank Post

If the machines are in different subnets they won't be able to talk without a router or a route telling them how to find each other.

Set computer A to 192.168.0.10 and computer B to 192.168.0.11 and turn off any firewalls for testing purposes.

If you are testing Windows Networking, make sure both machines are in the same workgroup and the admin login credentials are identical.

To get your net connection you need to share the Internet connection on the net-connected machine or have a router on the same subnet.

Thank Post

Hi Ric.
    Because it's getting hard to explain is it possible if I draw a diagram I can paste it onto this forum.?.

This is a small test set up to represent the school and my home network joined by a wifi link so I can run the school network from home..

Computer 1 will be on the school network 192. 168.etc.
    Computer 2 will be on my home network 176.16. etc.

with a WIFI link in-between them ( school to my house) They are Both set up as 'routers' with nat,relay agent. too my best ability ! I'm learning fast .

all same domain ,same log in details etc.

internet comes from a 'smoothwall' box . 192.168.0.1

Regards.

Thank Post

Hi. can any body help please on my post .

Need to understand about setting up the default gateways up.
    also on my computer 2 ip = 176.16.1.2 (router) does a router need two different ip ranges to work ? if so can someone suggest my second one to use and d.g..

Michael.

Thank Post

Draw a pretty pic in Visio or the like and attach the JPG to your post... this will help us answer your question.

You need a 'route' from the 176.16.x.x subnet to the 192.168.x.x subnet. A simple way to do this would be to install two NICs in your PC (one on each subnet). The computer will figure out your routes for you automagically and any traffic to the 192.168.x.x subnet will use the card with an address on that range.

NB: If you do this, make sure that the 176.16.x.x NIC has NO default gateway.

Thank Post

There should be three subnets

Home network computer 2 connected via PCI LAN card
    Wifi card to wifi card
    School domain computer 1 connected via PCI LAND card

The two wifi cards need to be on the same subnet IP range.
    A different number scheme should be used for the wifi link as using 192.168.*.* (as per original post) causes confusion with school subnet.

Computer2 id not setup to forward DHCP requests
    ws1 needs to be statically addressed.
    Computer 2 should be gateway for ip addresses on school network.
    You can have school DNS server as additional entries in TCP/IP config on ws1

You may need to manually add a entry in the schoool DNS server for WS1

Thank Post

Doyou want to access the internet via the SmoothWall box on your school network?

THere are two approaches. If the Smoothwall box has a proxy server then just have it's IP address in your settings on Internet Explorer (or FireFox??opera etc) on WS1.

Alternatively you may need to setup proxyh software on Computer 1.

Thank Post

Hello, Hope this gives a clear picture of what I'm trying to do...see plan below.

Thanks for your help .
    now the set-up works ok from computer 2 looking across the link to school LAN and back, also get internet up to computer 2 and school LAN side.

my latest problems are from computer 2 to my home LAN, can ping from ws1 etc. to 172.16.1.10 on computer 2 only (and back ) AND NO FURTHER !. Cannot ping to 176.16.1.2 etc.

QUESTIONS
    1. can someone help me with default gateways for all the static ip's.?. (I have set some up but not sure )
    2. Do I set up an dhcp server on computer 2 from my home network ?.
    3. have I not go the router working on computer 2 ?.
    4. what do I do about DNS for my home network (I have permission to use the school broadband)
    Useful link http://www.wlan.org.uk/antenna-page.html
    Regards Michael.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12