+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, What if I don't ground/earth my FTP cable -- home use in Technical; For some reason, a clerk recommended me an FTP cable in order to connect the signal converter box (for optical ...

Thank Post

Thumbs up What if I don't ground/earth my FTP cable -- home use [SOLVED]

For some reason, a clerk recommended me an FTP cable in order to connect the signal converter box (for optical fiber) to my router. According to him, since I pass the FTP cable under the house (a 2-foot high space), it would be better for me.

Since I bought the cable, I've read a lot about the importance of earthing the cable on one end. But what are the possible consequences if I don't earth the cable? Am I going to bust my router? Or set my house on fire?

The whole idea about earthing is pretty much a mystery for me. I have no clue how, and I'm not sure I'm ready to actually put some time to learn what to do. Unless of course anybody can send me a link to a 3-minut-howTo

Any thoughts?

Edit: Added SOLVED to the title and the icon to "Thumbs up"
    Last edited by fred99; 30th May 2009 at 04:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fred99 View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Yes, it's been mis-sold to you. Sorry.

Foil-shielded cable is earthed at the ends to prevent interference. But unless you have a very long house you're not going to notice the difference between it and unshielded cable, unless you're planning on running it alongside mains or anything.

Just stick a normal end on it, and make sure it's well-protected from the elements - and most importantly, isn't run high enough up the wall or far enough away from the house to risk being struck by lightning.

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

fred99 (30th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the quick answer!

Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    But unless you have a very long house you're not going to notice the difference between it and unshielded cable, unless you're planning on running it alongside mains or anything.
    My cable is 15m long. I guess that I'm below the "risk for interference level".

Just stick a normal end on it, and make sure it's well-protected from the elements
    I don't really understand what you mean here -- a combination between not-being-native-English-speaker and not-being-technical-enough. But I can try to say what I think I understand ;-)

By "Just stick a normal end on it", I understand that I plug in the cable as it is, with the RJ45 contact the cable was provided with when I bought it, into the box on the one end, and into the router on the other end.

As for " make sure it's well-protected from the elements", I am clueless.

and most importantly, isn't run high enough up the wall to risk being struck by lightning
    I qualify for this part. Cable is on the first floor (and the 0th as well...).

First visit to the forum by the way. Thanks for the great welcoming committee you are provided me with!

/fred99

Thank Post
    My cable is 15m long. I guess that I'm below the "risk for interference level".
    You should be fine, just make sure it's not too near electrical cables.

I don't really understand what you mean here -- a combination between not-being-native-English-speaker and not-being-technical-enough. But I can try to say what I think I understand ;-)

By "Just stick a normal end on it", I understand that I plug in the cable as it is, with the RJ45 contact the cable was provided with when I bought it, into the box on the one end, and into the router on the other end.
    Ah, I didn't realise, sorry. If the cable you've bought already has plugs on, you're ready to go. I assumed you'd bought a reel of cable and you were planning to cut it to length and put your own plugs on.

As for " make sure it's well-protected from the elements", I am clueless.
    Make sure the plastic sheathing is intact and will protect the core from the weather, and make sure the ends of the cable are inside the house for the same reason. If you're putting it underground at any point, you might want to put a shield over it (you can usually get some from good building suppliers). But it's a low-voltage cable, so this is optional.

6. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

fred99 (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    You're quick. And tremendously helpful!!

You should be fine, just make sure it's not too near electrical cables.
    There will an electrical cable about near to it, but just near the box and the router. In other words, I am not passing other cables than this one through the basement. Would it work?

/fred99

Thank Post
    There will an electrical cable about near to it, but just near the box and the router. In other words, I am not passing other cables than this one through the basement. Would it work?
    It should be fine. If you run mains and network side-by-side for more than a couple of metres, intereference can be a problem, but they have to be quite close together.

9. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

fred99 (29th May 2009)

Thank Post
    It should be fine. If you run mains and network side-by-side for more than a couple of metres, intereference can be a problem, but they have to be quite close together.
    They won't even run side-by-side more than an inch, so I begin to feel safe!

A last question: the part about earthing, is this only (or at least mostly) applying to cables not provided with a (for example RJ45) contact module when you buy them?

Thank Post
    A last question: the part about earthing, is this only (or at least mostly) applying to cables not provided with a (for example RJ45) contact module when you buy them?
    It's the cable type that determines this. Foil-Shielded Twisted Pair (which is what you've got, FTP) needs an earth using a special plug at one or both ends because that's how it protects the cable against interference. Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable doesn't. FTP requires special plugs though, to make the earth connection.

12. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

fred99 (30th May 2009)

Thank Post
    It's the cable type that determines this. Foil-Shielded Twisted Pair (which is what you've got, FTP) needs an earth using a special plug at one or both ends because that's how it protects the cable against interference. Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) cable doesn't. FTP requires special plugs though, to make the earth connection.
    The special plugs you are talking about, are they usually integrated in the FTP you buy at the store (read "the kind that I bought"...)? Or should I just return the cable and stick to UTP?

That must feel like a "" for you but you understand that I don't want to break anything...

Thanks again for your help. Your patience is unbelievable!

Thank Post
    For digital cable transcoder to router, regular Cat5 UTP network cables will suffice. No benefit from using Cat5e FTP for this purpose unless you're signed up to a broadband package offering more than 100Mb internet connection... sorry! Clerk was just trying to sting you for more money.

Can usually tell if FTP cable has been made correctly as plugs will have metal casings:

If you've got a multimeter, you can test connectivity between the metal casing on the plug at each end.

If it doesn't have metal casing, then the shield isn't connected, and they've used regular Cat5 plugs:

In which case take it back and demand a refund, as it isn't an FTP cable.

15. Thanks to Marci from:

fred99 (30th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for taking your time to answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    For digital cable transcoder to router, regular Cat5 UTP network cables will suffice. No benefit from using Cat5e FTP for this purpose unless you're signed up to a broadband package offering more than 100Mb internet connection... sorry! Clerk was just trying to sting you for more money.
    My broadband package is 100Mbs, so I'm just on the limit of actually see a difference.

Can usually tell if FTP cable has been made correctly as plugs will have metal casings:
    There is a metal case. And the pin that is helping to connect the cable with is also in metal.

If you've got a multimeter, you can test connectivity between the metal casing on the plug at each end.
    I unfortunately do not have a multimeter.

Do I still have to earth the cable or do I just assume that the metal case is taking care of that?

/fred99

Edit: Corrected "I unfortunately do NOT have a multimeter"
    Last edited by fred99; 30th May 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    fred99,

I think you can safely go ahead, plug everything in and it will work. For that sort of cable run I wouldn`t have thought you needed shelding, but if that cable is inside, protected from sun and rain it will do the job.

If the devices have shelded ports the earthing will be done for you, if they don`t I would NOT try to add additional earth connections. You may end up creating more problems that its worth.

I am assuming that you are just running this cable from one room to another, rather than between buildings on different mains power supplies.

Hope that helps.

RobK

18. Thanks to robk from:

fred99 (30th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    fred99,

I think you can safely go ahead, plug everything in and it will work. For that sort of cable run I wouldn`t have thought you needed shelding, but if that cable is inside, protected from sun and rain it will do the job.

If the devices have shelded ports the earthing will be done for you, if they don`t I would NOT try to add additional earth connections. You may end up creating more problems that its worth.

I am assuming that you are just running this cable from one room to another, rather than between buildings on different mains power supplies.

Hope that helps.

RobK
    All your assumptions are right. This mean that we can close this case as resolved :-)

The whole installation will completed in the middle of August. I will get back in this thread to tell you about the results.

Thanks all for the quick and extremely helpful help you have provided me with!

Best regards,
    fred99

Thank Post
    My broadband package is 100Mbs, so I'm just on the limit of actually see a difference.
    You lucky thang! I SO live in the wrong country...

Thank Post
    You lucky thang! I SO live in the wrong country...
    Hehe, I understand your reaction. I'm actually jealous of myself On the other hand, before you sell your house/flat and buy a one-way ticket to Sweden, don't forget that it is not very common here with 100 Mbs and most of all, there are things you can do in other countries with that kind of internet-speed that you can't do here -- I'm referring to a quite recent trial... I am aware that I'm getting out of topic now but I couldn't help myself

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast