+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Profile Problems ... SP3? in Technical; Afternoon all! It seems our students are experiencing some strange problems with profiles when logging onto their network accounts and ...

Thank Post

Profile Problems ... SP3?

Afternoon all!

It seems our students are experiencing some strange problems with profiles when logging onto their network accounts and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the matter ... I've been searching the tinterweb all morning for a reason or solution with not much luck so thought I'd try here - Long time lurker n' all

All servers are running Server 2003 and our workstations (HP with AMD processors) were on XP Pro SP2, but were recently updated to SP3 ... and that is when the problem became apparent.

We updated a small ICT suite to SP3 and soon after had reports that once students logged on, two error boxes would appear one after the other, followed by kicking the user back to the Windows (domain) login screen. The first error message would state:

"Windows cannot copy file \\domainname\SYSVOL\domainname\Shared Profiles\students\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S563OLE3\filenamethatistoolong! to \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S563OLE3\filenamethatistoolong!
    DETAIL - Filename or extension is too long"

What is strange in the first address is that \\domainname\SYSVOL\domainname\Shared Profiles\ is a valid directory, whereas the 'Local Settings' folder does not exist - Where is it trying to copy from?

The second room we updated was perfect on SP2. Now that SP3 has been installed students are finding at random (Between 0-3 students per lesson) that they cannot logon due to:

"domainname\username computername Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
    DETAIL - The operation completed successfully."

If they try to logon again (sometimes requiring several attempts) it will load their profile with no errors and no seemingly viewable faults. The fault happens on random machines with random users.

Any ideas? Do you think SP3 could have a big part to play in this? We are considering rolling back to SP2 this Half-Term in an attempt to restore a stable logon for students ... Anyone else seen the same?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Thank Post
    Grab the delprof utility from the Microsoft site > Download details: User Profile Deletion Utility (Delprof.exe)

Run it using the switch /r /i /q (roaming only, ignore errors and don't ask for prompt)

See if the kids can log on then...

We've got the same issue here but it's very rare occurence and this has always fixed it for us, we had it during SP2 though as well.

We run delprof at shutdown in the evening and again at every boot and the problem is not very common anymore.

3. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

MyBrainHurts (20th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    There is a known problem with SP3 and roaming profiles. The fix can be downloaded from Microsoft here (KB958058). I've also mirrored it here.

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

MyBrainHurts (20th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I'm only speculating here, but are all your servers domain controllers? Or do you have at least two servers which domain controllers? It could well be a replication issue. Most requests made to server A are ok, but occasionally make the request to server B and this is when the profile cannot be found.

Personally I would not put profiles in the SYSVOL. It will cause more problems and replication will take much longer if the profiles are huge. The recommended approach is to create a folder called Profiles and share it as Profiles$. The dollar makes it hidden. All users should be given Full Control to this share so they can write to their profile without any restrictions.

7. 2 Thanks to Michael:

MyBrainHurts (20th May 2009), stariq (19th May 2009)

Thank Post
    We had an issue with the long filenames and it was down to the local profiles.

As DrPerception said, if you try the delprof tool, that sorted the problem for me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread