+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Admin and Curriculum separate or merged? in Technical; I am at this moment working with system strategic leader for IT my boss in other words to implement a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

Re: Admin and Curriculum separate or merged?

I am at this moment working with system strategic leader for IT my boss in other words to implement a legal binding document based on the data protection and security act 1998 and 2000. In this document it raises the awareness of the end user inveriably the memebers of staff who leave their workstations unlocked (given that they only have to hit the windows and L keys and it is locked) that secure data via the SIMS can be obtained by other members of the school if they leave their computers open. If this is the case then we through the governors will make it quite plain that the culprit no matter who is liable to legal prosecution under the said acts. We will run regular security checks to this effect for the first six months and repeat offenders will be named and shamed by enforcing a retraining on the use of IT + any data protection training. Our Staff members are usually pretty good but it is the odd one that lets us down.

Thank Post

Sounds very good and useful, post it up for us when you are done so we can plagiarise it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

1 Domain, 2 Networks - Admin & Academic. Most Servers are dual carded so seen on both LANS, but some are just one of the other so we have 2 DHCPs one for Admin and one for Academic, same with DNS and WINS. Things like SQL are just on Admin for the database etc

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    We have 2 seperate networks essentially and thats the way it will stay, they are joined via a V-LAN which allows Admin to access curr. but not the other way. The LEA can kick or scream all they want they wont be joined into one domain.
    Do your admin users need to access curriculum resources then? I would have imagined it would be the other way around?

I realise that all schools operate differently, but I thought the days of MIS purely being the domain of the office staff was a thing of the past?

Just curious.

Thank Post

we are working to joining our two seperate domain this summer. Using AD to seperate the computers roll and restrict user access. The main difficult I can see (apart from the obvious) Is the teacher who keeps their whiteboard on showing all the school local neighbourhood kids private information. Any body got a way of shutingdown the projectors when sims is run ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Face-Man
    Any body got a way of shutingdown the projectors when sims is run ?
    Following the Data Protection Act, the Teacher has the responsibility of putting the projector into "No Show" or "Blank Screen" mode.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease
    We have 2 seperate networks essentially and thats the way it will stay, they are joined via a V-LAN which allows Admin to access curr. but not the other way. The LEA can kick or scream all they want they wont be joined into one domain.
    Do your admin users need to access curriculum resources then? I would have imagined it would be the other way around?

I realise that all schools operate differently, but I thought the days of MIS purely being the domain of the office staff was a thing of the past?

Just curious.
    Our teachers do not have access to Sims in the classroom, they can't be trusted to use it properly and securely. They can only access it in the staffroom on 3 admin machines but even those are set to shutdown after 15mins of inactivity.

Thank Post

We merged our networks last summer. One domain with the Admin server joining the others. The reason for this was that Teachers where now required to take electronic registers.

The way SIMS works, you have to log into SIMS (where all the sesitive stuff is although you can lock down what is available) to get to your lesson register. Teachers would do this on their laptop in the classroom. Therefore, if teachers had access to sims in the classroom, (where traditionaly it was only available in an office) then what's the point in keeping networks seperate? If a teacher leaves their laptop unlocked, kids can get to the data whether they are on an admin network or not.

Hence, we merged for ease of management and ease of access to both admin and curriculum materials. The emphasis now is on training teachers to lock their laptops when they are not there. You always get the regulars who forget but I just report them to SMT then it's off my hands

Plus, you can write instructions to keep sensitive data secure into the staff AUP.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    The emphasis now is on training teachers to lock their laptops when they are not there. You always get the regulars who forget but I just report them to SMT then it's off my hands

Plus, you can write instructions to keep sensitive data secure into the staff AUP.
    What would be even better, would be if the adults who are supposed to be educating the future business employees of our country , would have enough intelligence to not leave their laptops/PCs open.

Course , sadly this often proves a much too difficult task. Its a wonder at times they know how to close a door

Thank Post

For suitable small sites who can't afford to regularly update two servers, I'm consdering the following to maintain the admin/curriculum separation...

Single physical server with gobs of disk space, dual CPU and 4GB RAM
    Admin DC, DHCP, DNS, SIMS etc running on the physical server
    Curric DC running on a virtual server hosted on the same server

Am I crazy?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Am I crazy?
    In answer to your question, YES. (You did ask

Personally, I feel that anything with the remotely smallest reference to VIRTUAL when it comes to servers is a no go.

Join the networks together and threaten to shoot anyone who leaves a PC vunerable.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by woody
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbritton
    Am I crazy?
    In answer to your question, YES. (You did ask
    Fair enough!

My reason for wanting separation between Admin and Curriculum is to protect the data on the Admin network. Every software/hardware installer I've ever met on-site has always demanded the Administrator password. Keeping seperate domains means not needing to hand out a password which gives installers full access to all the student and financial data. Yes, I know I could create a user account with limited permissions but in my experience some installers won't settle for anything less than the actual Administrator password.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12