+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Mal/AutoInf-A virus how to remove in Technical; We have a virus outbreak on our network. The virus in concern is Mal/AutoInf-A. The virus initially seems to have ...

Thank Post

Mal/AutoInf-A virus how to remove

We have a virus outbreak on our network. The virus in concern is Mal/AutoInf-A. The virus initially seems to have come via USB memory sticks. Mal/AutoInf-A then spreads to all mapped network drives, it drops "Troj/VB-CSA" and also creates a ctfmon.exe
    Win32/FakeRecycled.A - CA

I have disabled the autorun on memory sticks and applied the Microsoft patch.
    We have Sophos on the server and all client PC's and is fully up-to-date with daily scheduled scans.
    However Sophos finds the virus and says it has deleted it on the server but then 30 seconds later finds the virus again.
    The client PCs Sophos reports on daily scan "The attempt to delete the infected file H:autorun.inf failed the user dose not have the rights to perform the action on the infected file."
    I have placed all the users in the Sophos Power user group.

It is the first year that we have used Sophos and I think it has been a real let down as we it should be blocking the virus or cleaning it up because we never had a virus problem with Symantec before.

Any advice would be appreciated on how to get rid of this virus?

Thanks
    Last edited by AM_LHS; 15th May 2009 at 10:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    Isolate the server first and look at cleaning it up totally then before you attempt to rejoin it to the network rebuild all infected workstations.

Check all the other servers in the domain also.

If this does not work then totally rebuilding the server + all workstations is the only other option open to you.

Fully empathise with you on this one.

Good luck

Thank Post
    A bit late to say this I know, but why is autorun enabled, and why was the student able to the NastyVirus.exe file which the autorun was calling?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    You might also want to have a read of this and use the registry key below to prevent re-infection.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf]
    ""="@SYS:DoesNotExist"

5. Thanks to Arthur from:

OutToLunch (8th October 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Plus see the previous threads regarding the Conficker virus for good detail on removal and prevention.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is probably slightly off topic, but i had this on a few memory sticks and i had it on my 1TB hard drive the other day.

So, i had a macbook in my office and i put my hard drive on there and it showed the auto.inf file and exe so i just deleted them and that got rid of the virus and my hard drive worked fine on a windows machine. i'm guessing if you put this on a linux box as well you would be able to do the same.

I know it dont solve the problem but it is a nice easy way to get rid of it.

James.

Thank Post

Program to Remove Mal/AutoInf-A

I made a program to get rid of it (the autorun.inf file). You can download it from filefront.
    Version 1.0
    [ame="http://files.filefront.com/Mal+AutoInf+A+VirusRemoverzip/;13092507;/fileinfo.html"]Mal/AutoInf-A VirusRemover.zip Download File[/ame]
    Version 2.0
    [ame="http://files.filefront.com/Mal+AutoInf+A+VirusRemoverzip/;13762227;/fileinfo.html"]Mal/AutoInf-A_VirusRemover.zip Download File[/ame]

It works by not deleting it, but by REPLACING the autorun file with another. Essentially, it makes an autorun file over the top of the autorun from the virus. Or, you could simply not download the program, and make your own blank autorun.inf, then copy and paste (or move) it to where the infected autorun.inf is. Deleting it didn't work for me either, but this did- on multiple computers at school and on a friend's flash drive.

Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMorphinator View Post
    Deleting it didn't work for me either, but this did- on multiple computers at school and on a friend's flash drive.
    Did you have Autorun disabled for all devices before plugging any infected media into your system otherwise it plays with your system makes it call the program from the os so that it gets marked as being in use.
    Last edited by p858snake; 16th May 2009 at 03:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Did you have Autorun disabled for all devices before plugging any infected media into your system otherwise it plays with your system makes it call the program from the os so that it gets marked as being in use.
    Autorun was enabled.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMorphinator View Post
    I made a program to get rid of it (the autorun.inf file). You can download it from filefront.
    Version 1.0
    Mal/AutoInf-A VirusRemover.zip Download File
    Version 2.0
    Mal/AutoInf-A_VirusRemover.zip Download File

It works by not deleting it, but by REPLACING the autorun file with another. Essentially, it makes an autorun file over the top of the autorun from the virus. Or, you could simply not download the program, and make your own blank autorun.inf, then copy and paste (or move) it to where the infected autorun.inf is. Deleting it didn't work for me either, but this did- on multiple computers at school and on a friend's flash drive.

Hope this helps.
    I tried your secound software but it didnt let me to overright. givin a error message syin This file have been used by anotherprogram.?? help

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    If it's anything like the virus we had, the best option is to disable autorun entirely first e.g. using the method I posted above and then remove the Autorun.inf and associated .exe either automatically using anti-virus software or manually by deleting the files yourself.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If it's anything like the virus we had, the best option is to disable autorun entirely first e.g. using the method I posted above and then remove the Autorun.inf and associated .exe either automatically using anti-virus software or manually by deleting the files yourself.
    This worked for me

Thank Post
    Use group policy to disable Autorun network wide, thius will provent these Autorun virus's from spreading, and then you can nail them, if you have a tricky one, use the program Unlocker to remove locked files if in use.

Thank Post
    Not had much experience configuring sophos but our network technician uses it here and you can force clients running the software to use specific settings using a policy, when they next connect contact the sophos server they pick up the settings and apply them, i think you can force the setting to delete the virus upon detection.

not sure if this helps....

Thank Post
    With sophos you have to select ON WRITE in the policy as well, the stops the Virus on Write and not after its dropped on the machine when its being read.

The option your on about is "automatically clean up items that contain virus's/spyware"

Both of these are not on as default.

17. Thanks to Scorpio from:

leon999uk (9th October 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast