+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Cannot find MSHOME in Technical; I cannot find MSHOME on my network. I run the New Network Wizard. It goes through the process without problems. ...

Thank Post

Cannot find MSHOME

I cannot find MSHOME on my network. I run the New Network Wizard. It goes through the process without problems. When the wizard is successfully completed MSHOME does not show up my network. I can connect to the internet through my D-Link DSL 504T Router. My laptop shares the same internet connection with the router. I run the network setup wizard on the laptop as well with no success either. Both laptop and desktop pc use XP OS. Any help to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

if this is in the wrong thread...sorry [noob to forum and i'm frustrated]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    what are you trying to achieve? If you just want both to connect to the internet all you need to do is plug them both into the router, which I assume DHCP is on.

If you want to share files and folders etc, I always just do it manually. Ensure simple file sharing is disabled, (tools, folder options i think on any folder view) and then right click on my computer, and under computer name set MSHOME as the work group. Enable file and print sharing in windows firewall, and i think thats all you need to do if i remember.

3. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

Grumpy1 (15th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks RabbieBurns. DHCP is on, DHCP Clients List shows two addresses it recognises; 10.1.1.3 [pc] and 10.1.1.4 [laptop]I have no issue with connecting to the internet. Both laptop and Pc can access it no worries. The problem lies in the fact that when the new network wizard is finished and I should see MSHOME in my network Places and it is not showing up anywhere. Is that still too vague?
    Last edited by Grumpy1; 15th May 2009 at 06:15 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    why are you wanting to see it though. What are you trying to do?

Thank Post
    I don’t know where to access MSHOME. Even did a search for it. Couldn’t find a domain at all.

From my understanding it is the backbone of the network. I want to share the pc’s printer and folders. I set the printer to share and the folders but cannot access them from the laptop. I thought that running the new network wizard would solve the issues. I want to set it up for gaming too. Am I barking up the wrong tree here.

Once a new network has been established MSHOME should be seen shouldn't it. Assuming that i am working on the premise that no network has been established even though the net can be accessed. Something is missing. i know it must be simple i just can get my head around it.
    Last edited by Grumpy1; 15th May 2009 at 06:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well i think you are getting confused between a domain and a workgroup. A domain is where you have a server, and the machines join that server. A workgroup is what you have got which is just 2 computers in an adhoc connection, with no server.

You want to make sure that both are set to MSHOME. Right click on my computer, click on computer name, then change at the bottom, and make sure they are both set to mshome. Also you might want to disable any 3rd party security stuff coz they can play havoc with network sharing and stuff. Seeing as though you have got a router in place just now may as well disable the windows firewall too to rule that out as a problem.

Then yeh, you should just be able to go to my network places, entire network, Microsoft Windows Networks, and MSHOME will be in there

Edit: as soon as you plug both computers into the router, and the router assigns them an IP, that is your network established.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,317 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless you have a server you will not have a domain, you are after a workgroup. This is a peer to peer setup and does not require the use of mshome.

First off you want to try connecting to the other computers by their ip addresses:
    Start > Run > \\10.1.1.4

If you have setup any shared stuff like printers these should show up in the resulting window. If they do not you wil want to look at configuring firewalls on the machines to let file shareing through. This could be the built in windows firewall or the nightmareish nortons or mcaffe which will all happily block file and print shareing.

10. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (15th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thats what i was trying to get at thanks

Thank Post
    will post my results as soon a i have tried, thankyou for replying.

Thank Post
    Well I am absolutely stoked. After what seems an eternity I can finally say the Network Problem is solved. Thought I’d drop by and fill you in.

1. Upon suggestion I renamed both laptop and desktop pc and used the same name for the workgroup not mshome even though I thought it had to be mshome. For the first time ever the two pc’s recognised each other. This I thought was a bonus and I realised I was on the right track.

2. Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on laptop and pc.

The two were communicating but still could not gain access to the network. ‘Access denied you do not have permissions to network resources’ was the message I was getting.

3. Shutdown both firewalls. It was then that I was able to access the laptop files and both pc’s could communicate with each other. Setting up printing and shares was simple after that. Once I realised the firewall was blocking network access I just changed some settings to accept the network.

Everything is sweet right now. Thanks for helping out the not so grumpy one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    congratulations

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread