+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless Advice in Technical; Hidy hi folks, I'm looking for a little advice on Wireless Access Points and the setup/confing of said WAPs. At ...
    Thank Post

Wireless Advice

Hidy hi folks,

I'm looking for a little advice on Wireless Access Points and the setup/confing of said WAPs.
    At the moment we have a very ad-hoc messy little wireless network. We have around half a dozen WAPs each with a different SSID that are set up individually on each laptop. Basically, it grew from one WAP about 4 years ago and was added to in this ad-hoc fashion ever since.

Anyways, we're looking to install a centrally managed system in the next year or so (Ruckus being the clear leader ATM) so I'm not looking to radically reform the system we already have - it's messy and probably making a few of the purists cringe, but it's works (just!).

Now to the crooks of this post - I need to setup up wireless access on our ground floor (which is currently suffieciently out of range of the rest of the wireless to warrant sorting something out). It will be used by a bank of 16 netbooks. What I want to do is setup 2 or 3 WAPs at each end of the corridor and 'mesh(?)' them together to create a single access point which I can then configure on each netbook - thus eliminating the need to manually select the strongest WAP.

What I need to know is whether this can be done using fairly cheap entry level WAPs such as Netgear or Linksys. If so can anyone recommend a particular model and how to mesh them together.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Will

Thank Post
    All access points can be setup on the same ssid then set to different different channels to form a network that the netbooks will see as one network. The netbooks will choose the AP/channel with the strongest signal. You would probably be better spreading AP's out along the corridor to give a more even spread of signal strength.

Meshing refers to AP's that are linked wirelessly to each other to transmit the data back to a hard wired AP. Not all access points can do this, although as far as I'm aware the netgear ones can. Is this what you want to do or will they all be hard wired?

Chilbs

Thank Post
    They'll be hard wired into the LAN.
    So it's just a case of setting the same SSID and making sure the channels don't clash.

Can someone kindly check this diagram and point out any glaring errors?

Thank Post
    Will

Just manually check your signal strengths, mount high up and you should be ok for that no. of clients.

Chilbs

Thank Post
    Use Network Stumbler software to check the signal of each AP.

and 3Com AP's with POE to save on the cost of installing power.

Cooper

Thank Post
    Cheers for the advice.
    I'll check signal strength once I receive the APs.
    PoE isn't a concern as I have already earmarked rooms that have a network point and power outlet spare.
    But cheers for the info. Do you know if Ruckus runs PoE from it's controller?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Hello,

The controller (zonedirector) doesn't supply POE, it is designed to sit on the network and automatically provision Ruckus access points as they come online with the correct SSID, channel and power.

It also controls who can access the network once associated to the access point via a variety of backend authentication servers.

You can send POE to a Ruckus access point from a 3rd party power injector meaning a socket didn't need to be near the access point.

Stuart White.

Thank Post
    I can't comment on either of them as haven't had any experience with those particular models, if the budget will stretch to it i'd say go for something like a netgear wg102 or wg302, although if you are planning to replace it all with a managed system in the future, they may not be worth the extra money now.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartWhite View Post
    Hello,

The controller (zonedirector) doesn't supply POE, it is designed to sit on the network and automatically provision Ruckus access points as they come online with the correct SSID, channel and power.

It also controls who can access the network once associated to the access point via a variety of backend authentication servers.

You can send POE to a Ruckus access point from a 3rd party power injector meaning a socket didn't need to be near the access point.

Stuart White.
    So would that mean we'd have to run double network points for each AP? One for the Zone Director and one for a PoE switch?
    Could you explain a little how (physically) a power injector would fit into an install?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    I can't comment on either of them as haven't had any experience with those particular models, if the budget will stretch to it i'd say go for something like a netgear wg102 or wg302, although if you are planning to replace it all with a managed system in the future, they may not be worth the extra money now.

Steve
    A quick look at the pricing of these 2 units would rule out the WG302. What's the major advantage of the WG102 over the one I've linked to previously?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    So would that mean we'd have to run double network points for each AP? One for the Zone Director and one for a PoE switch?
    Could you explain a little how (physically) a power injector would fit into an install?
    No,

All you'd need is a POE switch.

Plug the access points into the POE switch and then patch the switch into the network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    No,

Plug the access points into the POE switch and then patch the switch into the network.
    Correct,

You still only send one ethernet cable to the access point however you are also sending power along the same cable.

The Zone Director controller is just a host on the network powered off the mains wall and does all the brain work.

The access points can be powered from the mains wall socket or using POE which can be by adding single injectors somewhere along the CAT5 like this one:
    Veracity Outsource VOR-OS Power Over Ethernet injector 1 port
    Or you can buy switches that will send the power for you or not depending on the setting on the switch.

If you'd like to talk to someone about Ruckus and how it works please feel free to give us a ring 01473 281 211.

Stuart

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    No,

Or use power injectors if a few APs are to be powered via POE.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartWhite View Post
    Correct,

You still only send one ethernet cable to the access point however you are also sending power along the same cable.

The Zone Director controller is just a host on the network powered off the mains wall and does all the brain work.

The access points can be powered from the mains wall socket or using POE which can be by adding single injectors somewhere along the CAT5 like this one:
    Veracity Outsource VOR-OS Power Over Ethernet injector 1 port
    Or you can buy switches that will send the power for you or not depending on the setting on the switch.

If you'd like to talk to someone about Ruckus and how it works please feel free to give us a ring 01473 281 211.

Stuart
    Got ya (I think)!
    The Zone Director doesn't have the APs patched into it, it just sits on the network.
    We'd probably be running new CAT5 runs for each AP so ideally don't want to have to run new power feeds too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast