+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Procurve Switch Setup in Technical; Originally Posted by carlday Hi We have a flat network no vlans. Does RM CC3 let you connect servers at ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carlday View Post
    Hi

We have a flat network no vlans. Does RM CC3 let you connect servers at 1gb also will rm build under a network with Vlans.

Carl
    CC3 should have no interaction with the actual hardware of the server - this will be handled by windows itself. So yes, it will handle it.

On the CC3 issue, I'm not sure - there are a few mentions of it on the forums here, one person saying it required a few changes to hosts files but that's about it.

Thank Post
    How difficult is it to config Vlans on procurve switches. I have not done it before so where do I start?

Thank Post
    not to bad if you understand the technologies of subnetting

check out this doc from http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/41260/189.pdf for cisco stuff but gives you the idea
    Last edited by jam3s; 11th May 2009 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Carl

I'm going to be a dissenting voice on this one. I really can't see VLANs being the answer to your problems. We're running a procurve based network here and have a vlan over twice the size of your whole network with no problems and no excessive broadcast traffic.

IMHO your first task is to get your servers connected at gigabit speed.

If you're concerned about broadcast/arp traffic levels, install a sniffer (wireshark etc) on a pc and see what's on the wire. If there is really an excessive amount of broadcasts you need to track down where they're coming from and sort that out.

None if this is to say that vlans aren't useful - they just aren't the way to solve your immediate problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keithu View Post
    Carl

I'm going to be a dissenting voice on this one. I really can't see VLANs being the answer to your problems. We're running a procurve based network here and have a vlan over twice the size of your whole network with no problems and no excessive broadcast traffic.

IMHO your first task is to get your servers connected at gigabit speed.

If you're concerned about broadcast/arp traffic levels, install a sniffer (wireshark etc) on a pc and see what's on the wire. If there is really an excessive amount of broadcasts you need to track down where they're coming from and sort that out.

None if this is to say that vlans aren't useful - they just aren't the way to solve your immediate problem.
    You will still be wasting a lot of bandwidth on broadcast traffic slowing your network!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jam3s View Post
    You will still be wasting a lot of bandwidth on broadcast traffic slowing your network!
    That depend on your definition of 'a lot' It's reasonably busy here at the moment and i'm seeing 0.1% broadcast packets on the links to our servers. Why would you expect to see anything more than a few arp packets and dhcp requests?
    Last edited by keithu; 11th May 2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Have you observed the amount used early in the morning when people are logging on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12