+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, EMBC in Technical; Our school (Latimer Arts College in Kettering) has EMBC 2Mb broadband via a radio link 8O Lately it has been ...

Thank Post

EMBC

Our school (Latimer Arts College in Kettering) has EMBC 2Mb broadband via a radio link 8O

Lately it has been a terrible connection, constantly dropping downloads half way through, not loading all the gfx on websites etc all day.

I was just wondering if anybody else is having the same issues with EMBC, or whether it's just us and we need to trim the tops off the trees surrounding the school!!!

Cheers

Thank Post

Re: EMBC

I cant comment on EMBC but if you're having problems with your connectivity don't you have a support number you can ring?

If it was properly installed it shouldn't have been placed where tree's could grow in it's line of sight, is it definitely radio or is it laser? Radio is slightly more forgiving through tree's where as laser isnt.

Thank Post

Definately radio. The kit was installed years ago long before I got here, and looking at old photos of the school, the trees were definately a LOT smaller.

I think I will give EMBC a call just to check. Their webview doesn't report any known faults yet, and knowing my luck I am probably going to have to go out there with some clippers and a long rope!

Thank Post

I personally think its just EMBC's network, our school is located in Coalville and we are connected to EMBC via Fiber link and suppose to be getting 10MB or 8MB cant remember

we are no way reaching that at all, i would say the service we are recieving is about 1mb IF THAT!

Thank Post

Heh, cheers for that. I have worked at two schools that use EMBC now, and from my experience that are totally pants.

Thank Post

Sounds like a lot of people aren't happy with their RBC. Our RBC, Northern Grid is great, they're currently working on redundant connection's between LEA's and POP's around the region, just for our network! Downtime is rare and our SLA states anything less than 99.95% uptime and we get compensation.

Thank Post

I think EMBC need to take note from the Northern Grid lot... i would say over a course of the year its neen down more then 99.95%

I agree with alex in that EMBC are very poor.. but there is things saying that the contract is going to be passed on to someone else

There support line is useless, with the first line support talking down to you as if you dont know anything about a network... not good service at all...

Thank Post

Even 0.05% is still alot of downtime, its 21 minutes a month, or over 4 hours a year!

They've even paid up on one occasion when it was down for a day due to a fibre being cut!

Thank Post

embc connection has been pretty rubbish this week here. I know fujitsu siemens are doing some work in the exchanges around here, so whether this is preventative maintenance or fixing something before we notice.....

It was around this time last year that their data centre went titsup due to heat.

Thank Post

I find large downloads next to impossible 1 day then the next day or hours later they work. Downloads are often dropped and downtime is bad. Websites often stop working but buy the time some kid has dragged me to the classroom its all back up again. The past few weeks seem worse then normal.

The constant maintenance is a right pain as well. It goes down for hours to half a day far to often. Sometimes we even go days without a connation. Still it could be worse I know my old school are still on ISDN as EMBC have not got around to upgrading to broadband yet.

If we where a business EMBC would have got a formal complaint and we would have left a long time ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if total downtime over a year hit close to if not 1 month.

"view doesn't report any known faults yet,”
    They often don’t put faults on there. Ringing up is your best option.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 986 Posts
    Blog Entries

10 MB Fibre, 2 Mbps by radio!!! Good god! Our radios are 54Mbps and fibre anything from 100meg to 1 gig!!
    I am so glad we did not put our RBC to tender years ago.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    10 MB Fibre, 2 Mbps by radio!!! Good god! Our radios are 54Mbps and fibre anything from 100meg to 1 gig!!
    I am so glad we did not put our RBC to tender years ago.
    Fancy borging our rbc?

Thank Post

We had so many problems with EMBC last year that we left their service and went with another supplier.

The new connection is brilliant and never goes down and yes they have proper SLAs. We get paid compensation if it goes out of service or SLA drops below 99.5%.

The problem with EMBC is that their new connection (10mb) is only to the local concentrator and after that everyone is on it, hence not a 1:1 contention ratio.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We're with E2BN. They're not bad but our connection to them can be a bit flaky at times. However that is more down to Beds CC than it is to E2BN.

Thank Post

I have just had a letter through stating that EMBC are upgrading their 155Mbps pipe to a gig! Aparantely this means that on the 13th we will be without internet while they do the upgrade. not bad though eh?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast