+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, EMBC in Technical; Extremely Mediocre Broadband Connection EMBC are rubbish, FACT!!!! If i was the network Manager here then serious questions wouldbe asked ...

Thank Post

Re: EMBC

Extremely Mediocre Broadband Connection

EMBC are rubbish, FACT!!!!

If i was the network Manager here then serious questions wouldbe asked as to why we are still using them
    matt

Thank Post

Having rang them about this outage they have not confirmed anything for the 13th and have told me to contact Carrol Morris my local authority.
    hmmm
    matt

Thank Post

They should take fujitsu out of the equation. Would sort out a lot problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries

We have had no letter about the outage either ... in fact we have had very little documentation from them full stop.

Schools in Northants are in a slightly different predicament now too ...

dotICT has always been the first point of call for EMBC issues ... but now we are stuck with anything with the paperwork for changes of service (internet servers, domain changes, power users) have to go to ICT in Schools service ... who then pass it onto Andy Murphy at Capita dotICT ... so another level of red tape is introduced.

And Fujitsu Services have yet to update their paperwork to reflect any of this ...

I can honestly see Capita buying it all up when it comes up for renewal and running EMBC. The actually techies up at EMBC generally are decent people and try and work within their limits (they are told if it not Standard Build they are not to give advice or help) and it is people further up the chain making stupid decisions about what is needed and when to do things.

And you should hear what the manglers at EMBC say about other RBCs ...

EMBC are also holding fire on the Learning Platform front until the new service is arrange (april 2007) and will probably wait until the specification is actually published by Becta, in the meantime they will stick Moodle on for use (including SSO, configuration and design) for a one-off fee that works out far cheaper than yearly costs for Digital Brain, etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashok
    The techies ar ok ... their manglers will be the first against the wall come the revolution.

I am still waiting to move our principle domain onto EMBC. They are not allowed to put DNS entries in until they have the tag. That means that I have to move the tag to them (they will not contact nominet to do it ... the LA or the school has to), wait until they are happy ... then I have to ask them to add A and MX records ... and then confirm that the hosts on those records are ok for power user / internet server.

The idea that by having the records and ACLs in place before the domain is changed might speed things up and be helpful to the school is something the people further up the chain think is unreasonable.

About 5 days in total to sort.

Roll on the summer hols.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    We have had no letter about the outage either ... in fact we have had very little documentation from them full stop.
    We only got hold of the letter sent to us, because our business manager (bursar) is new to education (ex Misco manager) and believes we should be in the know about everything. Aparantely it was sent to the head, and passed to her. In my last school anything that was sent to the head stayed in her office and usually ended up straight in the bin if it was to do with ICT!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok
    I am still waiting to move our principle domain onto EMBC. They are not allowed to put DNS entries in until they have the tag. That means that I have to move the tag to them (they will not contact nominet to do it ... the LA or the school has to), wait until they are happy ... then I have to ask them to add A and MX records ... and then confirm that the hosts on those records are ok for power user / internet server.
    We are doing something similar. We registered latimer.org.uk a few weeks back with a private host company but are currently waiting for them to change the tag to EMBC. Our aim is to redevelop our current website - www.lcac.org.uk - and put it on the new domain. Our webserver for latimer.org.uk is all up and running, just waiting for EMBC/the private host to do their bit grrrrrr!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey
    I find large downloads next to impossible 1 day then the next day or hours later they work. Downloads are often dropped and downtime is bad. Websites often stop working but buy the time some kid has dragged me to the classroom its all back up again. The past few weeks seem worse then normal.

The constant maintenance is a right pain as well. It goes down for hours to half a day far to often. Sometimes we even go days without a connation. Still it could be worse I know my old school are still on ISDN as EMBC have not got around to upgrading to broadband yet.

If we where a business EMBC would have got a formal complaint and we would have left a long time ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if total downtime over a year hit close to if not 1 month.

"view doesn't report any known faults yet,”
    They often don’t put faults on there. Ringing up is your best option.
    We get the same problem here at Latimer. When downloading medium to large files (even printer drivers etc) it will drop mid-way through the download. Most of the time when web browsing, half a site will load then the rest will just be "cannot be displayed"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alexinnard
    We are doing something similar. We registered latimer.org.uk a few weeks back with a private host company but are currently waiting for them to change the tag to EMBC. Our aim is to redevelop our current website - www.lcac.org.uk - and put it on the new domain. Our webserver for latimer.org.uk is all up and running, just waiting for EMBC/the private host to do their bit grrrrrr!
    Remember that there is a 60 day protection on new domains so they can't be pinched ... the easiest thing to do when registering a new domain in these cases is do it straight through nominet and put the EMBC tag in from the beginning.

I learnt this lesson with lodgeparktc.info ... only another 5 days until i can get that one moved now.

Thank Post

Cheers for the info. We have had a rather rude letter from EMBC stating that they will only host .sch.uk domains for us, and that they cannot do anything else!

We have our own webserver on site, with an external IP address from EMBC but are currently waiting to give it a domain name (we had hoped to use latimer.org.uk but EMBC say no.)

Our idea was to host our own mail and webserver as the teachers and SLT here refuse to have name@latimer.northants.sch.uk email addresses due to their length.

Do you know if EMBC were just fobbing us off. Also how did you go about getting your staff exchange email access using your own domain?

I might catch you on MSN tonight if you are in. Cheers
    Alex

Thank Post

We have had connection loss and the other symptoms you described all week. Annoying. EMBC are....cr...interesting.

To say the least.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alexinnard
    Cheers for the info. We have had a rather rude letter from EMBC stating that they will only host .sch.uk domains for us, and that they cannot do anything else!

We have our own webserver on site, with an external IP address from EMBC but are currently waiting to give it a domain name (we had hoped to use latimer.org.uk but EMBC say no.)

Our idea was to host our own mail and webserver as the teachers and SLT here refuse to have name@latimer.northants.sch.uk email addresses due to their length.

Do you know if EMBC were just fobbing us off. Also how did you go about getting your staff exchange email access using your own domain?

I might catch you on MSN tonight if you are in. Cheers
    Alex
    Sounds familiar. We were told that a web server and email server were frowned upon. It can be done. But they move very slowly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12