+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Which of these 2 switches would you choose? in Technical; I am currently doing a CCNA course and would eventually hope to go upto cisco switches. I purchased 2 of ...

Thank Post

Which of these 2 switches would you choose?

I am currently doing a CCNA course and would eventually hope to go upto cisco switches. I purchased 2 of these linksys /cisco switches about a year ago.

Cisco Small Business Managed Switch SRW2048 SRW2048-UK - PC World Business Online Store UK - Buy The Best Deals Online.

They have generally been pretty solid, although i had an issue with teaming ports on an xserve but that could of been me.

The boss has sent me a link to another switch he has found.

3Com Baseline Switch 2948-SFP Plus 48 Ports 3CBLSG48-UK - PC World Business Online Store UK - Buy The Best Deals Online.

I have looked at the specs and although they seem quite similar there are differences. So which one would you choose?

Thank Post
    A quick cursory glance makes me lean towards the Cisco, mainly because it provides a remote console via ssh and longer warranty (5yrs vs 3yrs), whereas the 3com is web-based only. According to PC World (so check, ffs ) the 3Com doesn't support port mirroring, which is useful to have if you want to run a sniffer or IDS.

BTW, that's not a great price on the Cisco - you can get it for less.

Check how much the SFP modules cost for each and ensure the backplane has enough throughput to handle what you need.

3. Thanks to pete from:

HodgeHi (23rd April 2009)

bio
    Thank Post
    I would not buy any switch at all to practice with.

Get one of the following switch emulators here :
    GNS3 | <-- very powerfull but requires ios file
    Introducing Packet Tracer 5.1 - Cisco Systems

if you need my help..just pm me

bio..

5. Thanks to bio from:

AngryTechnician (23rd April 2009)

bio
    Thank Post
    oh yes .. the 3com 4500 or 5500 series switches do support port mirroring and are CLI based switches as well (huawei based).
    Further 3com switches have lifetime guarantee.. so pete's info is incorrect on this one.
    In fact they are a good choice compared to cisco high $$$

bio..

7. Thanks to bio from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    A quick cursory glance makes me lean towards the Cisco, mainly because it provides a remote console via ssh and longer warranty (5yrs vs 3yrs), whereas the 3com is web-based only. According to PC World (so check, ffs ) the 3Com doesn't support port mirroring, which is useful to have if you want to run a sniffer or IDS.

BTW, that's not a great price on the Cisco - you can get it for less.

Check how much the SFP modules cost for each and ensure the backplane has enough throughput to handle what you need.

How can i check the backplane throughput? Sorry but i know very little about networking hardware, although i am doing my best to learn and find things out. At the moment we have two of the cisco switches, which seem to cope reasonably well although i would like to get the best for the money. Is there any other type of switch that you would recommend that would blow these out the water?

I would be interested in a core switch if the price is right and it has enough capacity to provide up to 250 ports. It will also need to able to support PoE for a later data as well as VoIP (which i think needs QoS support).

The SFP modules are built-in and share the ports with ports 23/24 and 47/48, or am i missing what you are saying. I'm definitely showing my crap knowledge of ICT networking today

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    I would not buy any switch at all to practice with.

Get one of the following switch emulators here :
    GNS3 | <-- very powerfull but requires ios file
    Introducing Packet Tracer 5.1 - Cisco Systems

if you need my help..just pm me

bio..
    The switches aren't to practice on. I need these for the school i work at. The college where i am studying my CCNA have all the kit i can use to practice on. I will break theirs instead of my own.

I have downloaded packet tracer and also dynamips although i couldn't get them to work successfully on os x.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,697 Times in 2,287 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are very simmilat as that cisco one is right at the bottom of the range (rebranded linksys). The 3com actually looks to have more ports avalible as it does not appear that the SFP slots do not appear to be shared meaning that you get 48 ports plus the 4 SFPs for fibre rather than loosing a port for each module that you install. The cisco one looks to have more managment standards supported but so long as it supports the one that you need the rest are expendible.

If you already have multiple cisco/linksys units in place it may make sence to keep to this standard as then all of the protocols are the same and it will generally work more smoothly than a multivendor environment. On merit though unless the linksys one supports the full IOS the 3com is probably technically better.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    We are having a new school built and so the money that we have as part of the build will be used to either purchase additional switches to go with the ones that we already have or if it makes more sense to go with a modular system like a core switch then to do that instead. Obviously it depends on how much the modules are that go into it.

This is a primary School and so i am very aware that once this money runs out there may be no more scope to develop the Infrastructure at this pace in the future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bio View Post
    oh yes .. the 3com 4500 or 5500 series switches do support port mirroring and are CLI based switches as well (huawei based).
    Further 3com switches have lifetime guarantee.. so pete's info is incorrect on this one.
    In fact they are a good choice compared to cisco high $$$

bio..
    Nope, PC World are wrong (they state a 3yr warranty), which was what I had a quick glance over.

HodgeHi
    By backplane* throughput, I mean the maximum routing/throughput capacity of the switch. Somewhere on the Cisco site and the 3com site where they list the specs (may be buried in a .pdf download) they should show the maximum throughput across the switch. As bio's comments show, you should always, always, always look at the manufacturer's website and not rely on the seller to get it right/show a complete picture.

*Your backplane is the circuit board(s) joining all your ports together. [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backplane]Backplane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] For examplle, this 24-port HP has a rated throughput of 48Gbps ProCurve 2510G-24 Switch (J9279A) specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

Re SFP: I mean, check the prices of the modules that go into the SFP slots. If two hypothetical switches are identical in function, price and reliability and the Fibre modules for one cost twice as much as identical ones for the other switch, then all things being equal you go for the switch with the cheaper modules.

Personally, I like HP kit but for 48 managed gigabit ports in a single 1U you'll be paying more than either of those two switches. What's your budget and when you say 250 ports I assume you mean 250 hosts/devices rather than 250 > 1 switch?

14. Thanks to pete from:

Thank Post
    I do like Hp Kit myself and am currently looking at their procurve offerings. There's quite a bit to take in though...

As far as i am aware the SFP modules are already in?? or are the cables that go into the ports the actual modules? I am basing this on what i know about some pro-curves i used to work with and they used to have 2 blanking plates where you took off the plates and installed a receiver and transmitter and then connected them together using a cable. Am i getting confused? I just installed them i didn't buy them. no idea what they were

The ports? Yeah 250 ports across more than one switch. We have a total of around 250 ports for devices/hosts and currently only have 2 of the cisco switches srw2048 with 48 ports in each minus the uplinked ports of course.

I will see if i can find out more about these cisco/linksys switches i.e. the backplane throughput and such.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The hp gear seems good, the SFP modules are stuff like fiber optic modules that you have to buy seporatly. These vary in cost greatly, the hp ones do come with a lifetime warrenty but are horrificly expencive (moreso than any other brand I have come across) and the switches are very picky and will only take specific hp modules so if you already have existing SFPs for fibre you would not be able to transfer them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They also both have 96GBit backplanes aswell:
    Buy Linksys 48-port 10/100/1000 + 4 shared mini-Gigabit Switch<b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">SRW2048-UK</b> from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2008, 2007 & 2006 for laptops, desktops and computer hardware
    http://www.3com.com/other/pdfs/produ...com_401044.pdf

and from the looks of the propper specs the 3com shares the ports as well.

Getting a single core switch which has all of those abilities and 250 ports will probably eat up your schools operating budget for a couple of years. It will probably be more cost effective to get a central core switch with 10gb ports and then various edge switches that connect back to the core at 10gb and to the workstations at 1gbs. Even this will be expencive but far less so than a monster switch. You could even use a 1GBs core with teamed links to your edge switches which is the setup that I have in most places.

18. Thanks to SYNACK from:

HodgeHi (24th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Hello all

where is this switch to sit in your network (core or access?)
    and also how large is your network?

I have been using GNS3 on the mac for a while. I believe you have to have Xcode installed and use the Macports project!

1. Xcode
    Xcode is the free development tools/environment from Apple. Install either from your macbook installation DVD (it is not installed by default), or download the latest version from the Apple website (it's free, but you have to register with their development program IIRC).

2. Install Macports
    Macports is just that - a collection of ports (software originally written for unix/linux, and modified - or ported - to run on another system) for Mac OS X. Download the install package from macports.com.

3. Use macports to install libpcap and dynamips
    With a bit of luck, typing in 3-4 commands at the command line will install these required packages (easy to follow instructions on the macports site).

4. "Launch GNS3 and after a few problems with the config of the ios and the hypervisor I got it working".

20. Thanks to jam3s from:

HodgeHi (24th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that. I will give it a crack tonight. I read about the macports thing but the last time i tried to get something working from the macports i couldn't work it out. Can't remember what it was now though.

Cheers for the steps

Thank Post
    i've yet to test the HP Liftime Garuntee as I've not had one HP Procurve switch fail yet and I've bought about 30 over the last 6 years from the old 2524s to the 2600s and more recently 2800s and 4xxx series. Ordering some 2548s this year.

You can't really go wrong with HP or Cisco but I went HP because I like the underdogs, and they've done massive amounts of work over the last 7 years in driving down the cost of networking (by constantly uncercutting Cisco whilst mostly matching the specs).

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast