+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Which Wireless?? in Technical; The big boss has decided that we need to do something amazing and he wants to go to a reliable ...
    Thank Post

Which Wireless??

The big boss has decided that we need to do something amazing and he wants to go to a reliable wireless solution. We do have some basic wireless access but it struggles with more than two or three machines logging on at once.
    He is looking for a solution that will enable a whole class of 35 students to log on at the same time with ease.
    So, what I am after is some companies/systems down here on the South Coast who can come and tell us all about it and recommend something.
    I have a local MERU accredited partner but I need more for comparison purposes

Thanks

Thank Post
    Ruckus

Thank Post
    Another vote for Ruckus here

Thank Post
    I've found the netgear managed kit to be quite reliable, and very good value. Not the simplest setup ever but isn't too complicated. Where abouts down south are you?

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    I've found the netgear managed kit to be quite reliable, and very good value. Not the simplest setup ever but isn't too complicated. Where abouts down south are you?

Steve
    If you are talking of WAG 302 APs hmmf they are average.
    Howver I don't rate Netgear stuff to high.
    Had three netgear switches fail in the last few years.

Meru stuff we have seems good and you can pack the APs in close without worrying about channel overlap - which is very handy - especially if you have any wireless interferance (which we get).

As far as 35 students at the same time.... You might want to also check the wireless cards in the laptops are good enough to support handy things like packet fragmenting etc... some Intel ones are a bit limited even if you have brilliant WAP infrastructure.

Consider using a and g points too - a is quite nice but you'll need more APs - range is limited.
    Last edited by diggory; 3rd April 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Thank Post
    +1 for Ruckus
    & Net-Ctrl (sponsor on here)

7. Thanks to jamin100 from:

MarkPower (6th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by diggory View Post
    If you are talking of WAG 302 APs hmmf they are average.
    Howver I don't rate Netgear stuff to high.
    Had three netgear switches fail in the last few years...
    I meant the WFS709TP controller and lightweight access points, although I have used the WG302 points in one school for a couple of years with no problems. 1 point happily supports 20 laptops with no worries at all.

Steve

Thank Post
    I've found the netgear managed kit to be quite reliable, and very good value. Not the simplest setup ever but isn't too complicated.
    The one advantage of Ruckus is that the setup is simple, easy to use and effective.

Thank Post
    Does anyone know of a Ruckus supplier down here in the wilds of Dorset (or near enough to want to visit)?

Thank Post
    I meant the WFS709TP controller and lightweight access points, although I have used the WG302 points in one school for a couple of years with no problems. 1 point happily supports 20 laptops with no worries at all.
    I'm using the same kit in a school with 80 laptops and now that I've spent the time learning how to tweak it, it's working well... Choice of Anti-Virus was important too... Don't use a WLAN with Sophos... it just freezes.

Can't compare to Ruckus as never had the chance to play but there does seem to be a lot of happy customers..

Thank Post
    Apple Airport Extreme 4TW

Thank Post
    Net-Ctrl will travel for your wireless needs and the Ruckus stuff is good.

The Netgear kit is not scaleable to a large site. You will only get 32 APs on the solution (16 with fail over of the controller).

I use BlueSocket which is excellent but would swap it for Ruckus tomorrow if Mark at Net-Ctrl offered to do it for free

14. Thanks to Ric_ from:

MarkPower (6th April 2009)

Thank Post
    I looked at HP, Dlink & Trapeeze & Aruba before deciding on going for Aruba here, we have found this to be very good & once set up I have had no issues with it see below for some of the features it was installed by a company called Burconix & the information below is from their site.I have found this to be a very reliable & high performing system & it covers our whole sixth form block(12 classrooms,Conference Room & Lecture Theatre) with 4 access points upto 20 laptops at a time with no issues.We are looking at expanding this into the main school over the summer which can be done easily by adding extra Access points.

With advances in technology and centrally managed wireless networks where each access point is aware of neighbouring access points, these issues are now resolved and schools can deploy secure, fast and reliable wireless which runs itself with little or no input from the Network Manager.

This enterprise solution is highly versatile, and can be designed to your deployment requirements. To give you an idea, here are just some of the features you could expect:

- Broadcast multiple SSID's/Wireless networks from a single antenna, allowing you to create multiple networks for guest, multiple managed, and/or voice networks.

- Provide a single point of configuration, configure a set of policies for your establishment, or buildings/departments and push the configuration to all of your access points on the network in one go.

- Broadcast a guest network that securely allows visitors to gain access to just the resources you define via the built in firewall, such as an internal intranet or guest internet access.

- Configure your guest network so that when users associate, they will be required to logon using a web based portal. Users can be forced to first authenticate against your existing active directory and/or an internal guest database when they first try to access the internet.

- Setup guest manager accounts, so that receptionists/librarians can create temporary guest accounts with expiry times for visitors requiring temporary internet access.
    - Distribute your managed wireless setting via group policy, so when you image a station it will automatically pull down the wireless configuration.

- Assign users to a specific firewall policies/VLANs or cabled ports based on the credential used to authenticate (or by group membership of that user integrated with existing Active Directory).

- Dynamically load balance your clients on the network with adaptive environment support. So that in the event of an access point going offline, or high load in one area, other nearby points will increase antenna strength to compensate.

- Centrally controlled automated channel adjustment to best cover areas defined.

- Real time monitoring, see which devices are connected to your network, and their physical location by triangulating their position from 3 antennas, or using the SNR values.

- Real time detection of interfering devices and live coverage maps, showing coverage and signal strength across the whole school from a single interface.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Don't use a WLAN with Sophos... it just freezes.
    I found turning down the bandwith it uses helps allot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I found turning down the bandwith it uses helps allot.
    Really? How would you manage that?

... curious as well as to how you figured this one out and what level "help" or rather reliability this gives as a result.

Thanks...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast