+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Very slow shared start menu shorts -not sure how to explain! in Technical; Hi guys, This is a strange one. Just been setting up a new network where in theory everything should just ...

Thank Post

Very slow shared start menu shorts -not sure how to explain!

Hi guys,

This is a strange one. Just been setting up a new network where in theory everything should just fly along.

The Server - AMD X2 Dual Core, 2Gb Ram, 36Gb WD Rapter HDD for Redirected Start Menus/Desktop. Another 36Gb WD Rapter HDD for the OS (Server 2003 x64bit) and a 250Gb Seagate SATA2 drive for storage.

Clients - Biostar IDEQ N1 Small Form Factor, Nforce Chipset, AMD Sempron 64Bit 2800+, 512Mb DDR400 Ram, 80Gb SATA HDD and Windows XP SP2.

(as you can see I prefer AMD )

I have used group policy to redirect the start menu/desktop/my documents for all users (currently just one user called ITSuite) in the IT Suite.

All software was installed locally on the clients before they joined the domain. I just copied the local shortcuts to the installed software and put them on on the redirected start menu share on the server.

Problem I have is that when a client logs in, and selects a program from the start menu, it takes almost a minute before the application starts up. Its like something is blocking them???? Not sure how to describe it.

I copied the shortcuts from the redirected start menu to the local client machines C:\ while logged into the domain and all MS Office applications (which seems to be the main ones with the problem) come on instantly - no delay or hold up. Definetly seems to be a problem the server config?? But I can't think what??

I thought it was a group policy problem (windows installer being disabled) but after enabling it, the shortcuts to the applications stored on the server via the redirected start menu are still slow, yet the shortcuts to the programs via the local start menu (after I allowed the local start menu to appear) work instantly. What is going on??

This happened yesterday and I am now not back at the school until next week - but its annoying me and I kept thinking about this all last night even when watching the Spain Vs France game (god....I'm sad! ops: )

The only change I have made is add a new group policy called "Student Wallpaper" that (well obviously) adds a nice wallpaper and in order to get this working I disabled the option in my "Student Lockdown" GPO to force classic shell.

I just don't think it is group policy related. Just hope its a simple fix. Teachers have not noticed yet which is quite amusing...

Help please..

Thanks,
    CM786

The

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Very slow shared start menu shorts -not sure how to explain!

Is 'ITSuite' a clean new user? - is there old profile data messing it up?

Thank Post

Hi Mark,

Yep... brand new user and I don't use Roaming Profiles either.

After somemore reading I thought it might have something to do with the switch in the comms cabinete,but that has just been replaced with a new 48-port Netgear one with a gig uplink to the server........so its not that.

hmm...

Thank Post

Did you copy the icons or re-create them?

You'll find that, if you inspect the properties of some shortcuts, some apps don't put a normal path in the 'target' field. Instead they somehow link to something to do with the MSI that installed them.

Thank Post

Re: Very slow shared start menu shorts -not sure how to expl

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Did you copy the icons or re-create them?

You'll find that, if you inspect the properties of some shortcuts, some apps don't put a normal path in the 'target' field. Instead they somehow link to something to do with the MSI that installed them.
    I just copied them from a local machine onto the server share. I did look at the properties and the target field was greyed out?? Which means?? ops:

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CM786
    I just copied them from a local machine onto the server share. I did look at the properties and the target field was greyed out?? Which means?? ops:
    This is what I'm talking about... not sure what it means but I know that it can cause trouble. Simply drag the application EXE file with the righ-hand mouse button and create a shortcut that way.

Thank Post

Cheers Ric! I shall try in on Tuesday and report back!

Thank Post

Long weekend eh?!?!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    Long weekend eh?!?!
    Nah mate.... only vist that school half-a-day a week so won't get back in their until Tuesday unfortunetly. 8)

Thanks again.... really hope it works, then I can enjoy the football again without this at the back on my mind. ops:

Thank Post

Just had chance to try making a few shortcuts on another machine in another school - but with a very similar setup.

On this network it doesn't matter if the shortcut target field is greyed out or not, both shortcuts work instantly.

Pic attached (just to try! :P )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

Back at the school today.

I'm an idiot - I had given full control to the start menu share, so obviously when more then one person accessed it, the item become unavailable for the other users! Hence the "block" feeling ops: ops: ops:

Glad its sorted now however!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thank Post

I'm having a similar problem with my redirected shortcuts taken ages to appear can you elaborate on your fix cm786?

Thank Post

I did look at the properties and the target field was greyed out?? Which means?? ops:
    As Ric_ said, these are 'advertised' shortcuts which are sometimes created by software which is installed by Windows Installer (MSI) files. The shortcut points to a GUID which is an entry point for a particular 'Feature' in the MSI file. The idea behind this is that you can 'assign' an MSI to an OU (and therefore the users within it) and the shortcuts for the software will appear on those users' start menus. When a user clicks on a shortcut, the MSI then installs the requested feature. Quite clever but it could cause problems if you have different versions of software on different machines. Having said that, I regularly copy these type of shortcuts using scripts onto different PCs without any problems so far.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Uraken
    I'm having a similar problem with my redirected shortcuts taken ages to appear can you elaborate on your fix cm786?
    Check the permission set on the shared start menu folder. Standard users should only have read permissions on this folder and the shortcuts.

Thank Post

I have just noticed that my windows 2000 machines are fine and dandy but my xp machines seem to hang when loading these shortcuts?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast