+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Voice Over IP in Technical; Originally Posted by FN-GM If you want something even more easier use this - Asterisk at Home or Asterisk at ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If you want something even more easier use this - Asterisk at Home or Asterisk at Work in 30 MINUTES :: AsteriskNOW |
    Yup looked at that way back when they were using rpath/conary and asteriskgui, which is getting better but is still a long way off replacing freepbx.

There nothing like building your own, learning new skills and all that. I had never used a linux pc before i start installing asterisk

Thank Post

On a side note

I would recommend sticking to Digium Cards for PSTN and ISDN access. Had a horrid time trying to install sangoma A500 card the other week!

AAstra 57I handset are also top notch

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by uk101man View Post
    I would recommend sticking to Digium Cards for PSTN and ISDN access. Had a horrid time trying to install sangoma A500 card the other week!

AAstra 57I handset are also top notch
    A note to go with this... If you are going down the route of PSTN, then you *need* a card with hardware echo cancellation. Software echo cancellation just never seems to cut it. (Or at least, it doesn't with version 1.2, I'll see how 1.4 is when I upgrade over the Easter hols).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    A note to go with this... If you are going down the route of PSTN, then you *need* a card with hardware echo cancellation. Software echo cancellation just never seems to cut it. (Or at least, it doesn't with version 1.2, I'll see how 1.4 is when I upgrade over the Easter hols).
    Agreed, and 1.4 is hardly any better. The Digium cards have an optional echo module that you can put into one of your interface slots IIRC.

Thank Post
    If were were to get an ISDN30e , and use 8 channels, which digium card should i go for, there are so many, and its a new world to me.

Thank Post
    Depending whether you have basic or primary rate ISDN, you're looking at Digium's B410P or TE407P cards, but the costs will make your eyes water. I'd seriously consider routing your calls to a VoIP<->PSTN provider (voip, sipgate, etc) over your internet connection - after all, that's the point of VoIP. Save you a fortune

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Depending whether you have basic or primary rate ISDN, you're looking at Digium's B410P or TE407P cards, but the costs will make your eyes water. I'd seriously consider routing your calls to a VoIP<->PSTN provider (voip, sipgate, etc) over your internet connection - after all, that's the point of VoIP. Save you a fortune
    Are they just as easy to setup with Asterisk?

I've got AsteriskNOW working on a box, and got 4 Nokia N95's all communicating with it which is fun.

Now we want to look at the serious costs.

Thank Post
    (disclaimer: I have no affiliation or benifit to be made from recommending voipon, it's just that that's who I and my clients use, so I know it well.)

Yes, dead easy:

1. Get an account with someone providing the IAX (Inter-Asterisk Exchange) protocol, and configure it in iax.conf in Asterisk (don't know how that translates into configuring it on AsteriskNOW, though).
    2. Open the IAX port on your firewall
    3. Voipon work on pre-pay credit, so buy some of that
    4. Configure your dialplan appropriately

IAX uses just one port, so it's NAT-friendly, wheras SIP relies on arbitrary ports being opened across a wide range, so it's much less easy to deal with. In fact IAX was designed with this limitation in mind, so it does it extremely well.

Thank Post
    Next question, the fax machine, we have 2, how do these fit into the picture? Can it be as simple as a little box your plug in network cable one end, give box an IP and plug the analogue phone/fax in the other end????

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Next question, the fax machine, we have 2, how do these fit into the picture? Can it be as simple as a little box your plug in network cable one end, give box an IP and plug the analogue phone/fax in the other end????
    Fax seems a bit hit and miss in asterisk with me. What you need is a Linksys ATA which the Fax machine plugs into and the ATA links to the PBX over IP.

I recommend an TE120P isdn 30 card or the new TE122P card for ISDN access.

If you need a SIP line drop me a PM and I'LL zip you some costs

11. Thanks to uk101man from:

Quackers (3rd April 2009)

Thank Post
    I would use an internal FXS card in your Asterisk box, which provides a normal analogue phone signal to a device, just like the exchange does. But whereas humans are fairly forgiving about a little jitter or lag, faxes really really aren't, so I would maintain a separate, ordinary line for them wherever possible.

13. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uk101man View Post
    Fax seems a bit hit and miss in asterisk with me. What you need is a Linksys ATA which the Fax machine plugs into and the ATA links to the PBX over IP.

I recommend an TE120P isdn 30 card or the new TE122P card for ISDN access.

If you need a SIP line drop me a PM and I'LL zip you some costs

Are you saying then get an Linksys ATA box and if it works it works, if not its best to do what powdarrmonkey monkey recommends and get an internal FXS card? or is it more to do with network traffic effecting if the fax works?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Are you saying then get an Linksys ATA box and if it works it works, if not its best to do what powdarrmonkey monkey recommends and get an internal FXS card? or is it more to do with network traffic effecting if the fax works?
    It's more preference - the ATA box is a bit like an external FXS converter. I prefer to get the data turned into an analogue signal ASAP in the data path when it comes to faxes, but it means running an ordinary phone line between Asterisk and the fax machine. uk101man presumably prefers to keep it on network cable so it's easier to move the machine later.

Given a choice though I'd still keep an analogue line totally separate from Asterisk for faxes. Sometimes it can work absolutely fine, but a little bit of echo or jitter on your signal can play havoc with it. You can tell Asterisk it's a fax line and it can handle them quite well, and you might be able to use QoS or something on your LAN but if the noise comes from upstream there's not much you can do about it (and by the time you find out you might already have spent money on hardware to make it work...)

16. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    It's more preference - the ATA box is a bit like an external FXS converter. I prefer to get the data turned into an analogue signal ASAP in the data path when it comes to faxes, but it means running an ordinary phone line between Asterisk and the fax machine. uk101man presumably prefers to keep it on network cable so it's easier to move the machine later.

Given a choice though I'd still keep an analogue line totally separate from Asterisk for faxes. Sometimes it can work absolutely fine, but a little bit of echo or jitter on your signal can play havoc with it. You can tell Asterisk it's a fax line and it can handle them quite well, and you might be able to use QoS or something on your LAN but if the noise comes from upstream there's not much you can do about it (and by the time you find out you might already have spent money on hardware to make it work...)
    Thanks, i'm cannot decide over this one as Server will be about 50 meters away from the fax, so part of me wants the linksys for ease, but its gotta work so another part says get FXS card...

Have you ever used the Fax to e-mail option in Asterisk? Does it work like the description says, simple e-mail's any fax that comes in?

Thank Post
    I don't use AsteriskNow so I haven't, no. Gives me an idea though: VoipTalk do virtual fax->email with a geographic (eg. 01789) number for a modest fee, which would take all the headache out of it for you

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast