+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Multi-port PoE injector in Technical; One thing I would say about the Planet PoE injectors: my current school used to run its entire network on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    One thing I would say about the Planet PoE injectors: my current school used to run its entire network on Planet switches, but replaced them all about 3 years ago after an inordinate number of them experienced power supply failures.

It was before my time, so I can't give a personal testimony, but I'd be wary about using them. I know the consultant who specified the replacements (HP ProCurve) absolutely hates Planet switches now, and I can't say I blame him.

Thank Post
    @ AngryTechnician: Thanks for the heads up on the planet kit. It's always a consern when using an unknown brand if it will last or not.

So it looks like I'm back to using single injectors but luckily I've only got 2 APs which need PoE and I see Misco stock a 3Com model 3Com POE Single Port Midspan Solution - Misco.co.uk which looks like it will do the job.

Thank Post
    Got a few PLANET POE-2400 and POE-1200's running here now. Easy to set up and install. Well priced as well. THey are only a few months old so can't comment on the lifespan of them but my installer seems to use them all the time, and they've done some really big installs.

Thank Post
    We've had good experiences with the Phihong injectors, can't recall immediately where we sourced them though (can check at work on Monday if needed). One thing to make sure though, is that whatever you go for is Gigabit compatible - some of the cheaper ones aren't always (not much of an issue if you're going for 802.11g, but if you're looking at Ruckus or other 802.11n based kit, it's worth bearing in mind).

Stephen

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    One thing I would say about the Planet PoE injectors: my current school used to run its entire network on Planet switches, but replaced them all about 3 years ago after an inordinate number of them experienced power supply failures.

It was before my time, so I can't give a personal testimony, but I'd be wary about using them. I know the consultant who specified the replacements (HP ProCurve) absolutely hates Planet switches now, and I can't say I blame him.
    I've been slowly evicting the planet switches from my network as well - only got one left now as far as I know, unless there's any hiding away in un-known locations anywhere.

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12