+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless ... Give me your brains in Technical; You can have wireless but you're not having my brains !! @ "reliable and secure " -- Turn of the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

Re: Wireless ... Give me your brains

You can have wireless but you're not having my brains !!

@ "reliable and secure " -- Turn of the wireless point and make everyone use an ethernet cable

Thank Post

@Gecko: It's surpising how many people will happily sit next to a data point using their laptop over a wireless connection.

What's less surprising is the number of people that complain about speed issues while performing the above.

Thank Post

@ Ric :

It's funny how they complain about the speed but I wonder how much they contribute towards the costs of the IT equipment so considering they are pretty much getting it for free I dont quite understand why they complain :-S

Did I miss something ?

Thank Post

You could turn off the wireless access point and make people use cables. However, that kind of defeats the push for mobility (the new buzzword of course). I think that wireless offers great promise but as with everything is more marketing than reality.

At our school we use wireless. At least I think we do- not many teachers use it at all, and those that do get such a weak signal that it isn't worth sniffing at. So we have this tension between the perceived need for more mobility and the security and performance issues that wireless brings to the table.

Sometimes it isn't just a perceived need for mobility either. We have a trolley of laptops (wireless) and the freedom this kind of thing brings is amazing for both students and staff. Without this wireless solution, our main tower block would cost us more to cable and get ready for ethernet than it would to allow a wireless connection for two or three lessons a week!

Just my 2p.

Paul

Thank Post

with mobility also comes risks as I am sure you all already know , because then things tend to go for a walk abouts putting it mildy aka getting stolen

So saying security issues is not just related to people getting a hold of sensitive data either :P

I guess at the end of the day it all depends on what is more important and weighing up the pro's and cons of the "Mobility" and figuring out which is more important

Thank Post

In education Gecko, it is the integration of IT and curriculum that is important and delivering that in a way that meets the needs of both students and staff. So, that being the case, yes you have to weigh up security and cost with flexible IT provision, but you also have to consider this alongside educational requirement.

In our case mobility hasn't led to lack of security necessarily. Lack of security led to stolen laptops. That's because when people speak of "mobility" they are really talking about data that travels with you- freedom to access your information wherever you are. Apparently some schools do this via PDAs. Same thing. Mobility.

So- what's more important is education- after all, that's what I think I am here to support. The technology has to fit the educational needs of the school. How I deliver this is probably up for debate, but in the end the solution offered despite its inherent security concerns, works for the students and makes life for staff easier when they need to teach a lesson in IT in a location that doesn't allow for a wired connection.

Paul

Thank Post

So curriculum is more important then admin ?

Must have something to do with 114 boxes to move lol J/K.

Anyway good reply

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    It takes about 5 seconds to dump traffic from an active AP and observe an 'authorised' MAC address. Windows generally doesn't offer the flexiblity to change you MAC address on the fly (some cards allow it via their drivers) but Linux, BSD, Mac OS X would not blink at such a request.

Even more depressing, with a correctly configured Linux machine a malicious user can pretend to be the AP.
    I couldn't agree more. Most people are surprised how far away signals can be picked up. We use WPA-PSK at the moment. WPA-PSK has been broken to some degree, but it's still "strong enough". I'd like to move to something centrally managed if possible, partly to make life easier and partly because pre-shared keys are intrinsically Bad.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

here we had a test access poibt mainly to do some research ino how many would need and where.

BECTA is starting to say that wireless should not replace wired n/w but enhance it and you should cover at leeast 50% of school.

when we do it it will be done via linux box acting security server

Russ

Thank Post

We have been banging our heads on this one for a while. Until July everything was kushti. We hadn't bothered about channels used WEP encription and were having no problems, Oh happy days.

Since September oh and moving from a linux server to Win server 2003 things just havn't been right. The Access points keep dropping out and trying to get more than 10 laptops logged on in a class is impossible.

We had hoped to have over 100 Laptops in use across the school most of them are gathering dust.

Be careful with HP procurve 420 ours needed 4 firmware upgrades before it did what the book in the box said it would do

By the way this teacher does know how to plug in a USB mouse but knows when he is beat and when to ask friends for their help

theshirt

Thank Post

@Russdev: What do you propose to run on the Linux box? Have you found a combination of packages that will go some way towards mimicing a bluesocket box?

Thank Post

We have only just gone to wireless and its been nothing but hell. Just one access point in a room and it just is causing us hell.

We are near the point of saying we don't want wireless at all.

I say stick with good old data points

Ross

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    What do you propose to run on the Linux box?
    He's probably talking about HostAPd

51°44’45.75”N 2°13’57.28”W With 182ft Elevation
    Thank Post

@ theshirt, ok you are the exception to my rule with regards the Usb mouse. Well done indeed.

@everyone I dident know about the becta recommendation of 50% but we have 95% coverage although it doesent replace wired it just gives a connection in areas that its 2 expensive or difficult to wire, for example we have a remote build that we would have to put fibre into for 5 machines so we used 2 AP's in bridge mode which gives us our connection in there and with excellent results all for under £600. I would never replace wired with wireless but wireless is good for giving access everywhere. We have found that with are trolley of 32 laptops that we get a max of 15 client to an AP. So in my view wireless has its uses but is still a new technology that has its issues.

Nuttygeek

Thank Post

What wireless APs are you guys using? I'll be needing some decent ones this year - any suggestions?

Ta!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast