+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Extending ADSL internally in Technical; I've just had a new line installed especially for broadband, its not in the same building as our servers as ...
    Thank Post

Extending ADSL internally

I've just had a new line installed especially for broadband, its not in the same building as our servers as the telegraph pole nearest to our main building is 2km+ away from the exchange whereas the building the new line is installed in is connected to a different exchange only 900m away, I'm trying to decide which route to take when connecting it up to our servers.

I've come up with 2 ideas so far -

1. Connect the router directly to the nearest switch and v-lan the port off from everything else then configure the switches between there and the servers with v-lans so that only our ISA server is connected to the router

OR

2. Use one of the many spare pairs on our internal phone cabling to extend the line to the main building. this would add around 150m to the cable length over potentially bad wiring(our ex phone company sold the school extra cabling and claimed it could be used to extend the lan however as the total distance is 150m+ and there are multiple joins in the cable it'd never have worked)

How sensitive is ADSL to bad cabling/extensions? I'm looking at having ADSL2+ installed with upto 20mbit down and 2.5mbit up, option 2 would be the most secure and would reduce the effect of any network outages on our net connection.

James

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    1. Connect the router directly to the nearest switch and v-lan the port off from everything else then configure the switches between there and the servers with v-lans so that only our ISA server is connected to the router
    I might be a special case, but I managed to kill an ADSL signal with about 25 meters of internal telephone cabling.

3. Thanks to K.C.Leblanc from:

Jamman960 (11th March 2009)

Thank Post
    In my experience ADSL is quite sensitive to bad cabling, so option 2 would work, but would probably effect the speed if the cabling is as bad as you say it is.

I presume you have a fibre link between this building and the main one, so is there a spare fibre channel you could use via a couple of 100MBs fibre converters (which are pretty cheap now) to take the signal from the router on a pysical seperate network to it's required location, thus cutting out having to configure VLANS on the switches etc.

Mike.

5. Thanks to maniac from:

Thank Post
    I wouldn't even contemplate the second option. Internal wiring (particularly if you haven't done it yourself) is notorious for killing ADSL because it's so much higher frequency. Terminate the line as close to the wall as you can, and piggy-back it across ethernet.

7. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replys, I thought as much

At the moment there is no fiber connection to that building, its connected to another building via cat5 which is then connected to the main building via fiber. I guess I could put another cat5 line in for now then use media convertors for the rest of the journey. All of the switches are vlan capable so I'll give that a go first.

James

Thank Post
    I agree with powdarrmonkey.

10. Thanks to kmount from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    I agree with powdarrmonkey.
    So do I, have done this in 3 or 4 schools now and all seems to work okay.

12. Thanks to Paul_L from:

Thank Post
    Also, I forgot to say, have it connected to the nearest exchange, so that your total line length is minimised not just the portion in your building. Get the bodgy bit (read: adsl) out of the way as soon as possible

14. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Also, I forgot to say, have it connected to the nearest exchange, so that your total line length is minimised not just the portion in your building. Get the bodgy bit (read: adsl) out of the way as soon as possible
    Thats the main reason I've had the line installed where it is, our current adsl line tops out at 4-5mbit, luckily we have a pole on another exchange right on the far edge of our site, we should finally get decent speeds once I choose a new ISP(definatly not going with BT Business Broadband again!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    I wouldn't even contemplate the second option. Internal wiring (particularly if you haven't done it yourself) is notorious for killing ADSL because it's so much higher frequency. Terminate the line as close to the wall as you can, and piggy-back it across ethernet.
    This is the most realistic option, however longterm, a second ethernet link may be required (depending on what speed this link is working at). If it's Gigabit, then you should see no slow down whatsoever. Managing the router remotely would be straight forward too

17. Thanks to Michael from:

Jamman960 (12th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,319 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just got rid of a setup like option 2 above and doubled the avalible speed while using the same line. As above get the DSL modem as close as you can to the line because the signal used is so fragile, ethernet however is robust in the right lengths and will work vastly better internally.

19. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Jamman960 (12th March 2009)

Thank Post
    I have seen 6ft of dodgy cable take 1Mb/sec of an 8Meg line. If I had my way, my dsl router would be glued to the telegraph post, assuming such things existed round here... which they don't

Echo earlier sentiments - get it to 100Mbit ethernet ASAP. If you have a sub-10-meg line you are now transiting over a medium which has a 90% overhead for error instead of 0%.

You could try a wireless bridge to make the connection back to the main building? Would not fancy VLAN myself - obviously the best option is another run of cat5, tho 150m is at the manky end for that... maybe it is time to bite the bullet and run some proper cables

Thank Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll get to work on the vlan setup

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread