+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Creating a second Global Address List in Technical; At present we are running a Exchange Server 2003 with Outlook 2003 clients for members of staff. Is it possible ...

Thank Post

Creating a second Global Address List

At present we are running a Exchange Server 2003 with Outlook 2003 clients for members of staff. Is it possible to create just another global address list solely for the pupils, not a new exchange server just a new global address list.

If we attach a new global address list to the current one the list would be endless

Is there anyway this could be done or am i pushing it LOL

Cheers in advace

Faza

Thank Post

Re: Creating a second Global Address List

I can't give you specifics but it's a question of creating a suitable LDAP query to select the required recipients.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

I can't give you specifics but it's a question of creating a suitable LDAP query to select the required recipients.
    is this possible in outlook,? I populated AD with student email addresses and can search them from thunderbird/LDAP but cannot get them in outlook.

Thank Post

Im all new to this LDAP

Would it be possible to expand on this please

Faza

Thank Post

LDAP -is lightweight directory access protocol -sort of a database that has been designed mostly for read access. MS active directory, and most other directory servers uses an ldap schema to store information. You can edit the AD schmea using adsiedit and information can be retrieved programatically.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ldap

Sounds like we are in a similar situation, we have staff email on exchange and student email on another server. The student email system can query AD for staff and student email accounts. Using thunderbird or other ldap compatible email clients I can search AD for staff and students but the staff (who use outlook) cannot search for students. - probably an MS lock in to exchange, but if anyone has a solution I'd like to hear.

Thank Post

Yes sounds like it mate!

We have staff on a exchange server and the pupils on a totally different system not a exchange server.

I am trying to find a way that we can setup something like a separate global address list that contains all the pupils e-mail addresses, so the staff can e-mail pupils.

Faza

Thank Post

Theres is on option in the Exchange tasks wizard to Establish an E-mail address. I think is what is called a mail enbaled-user as opposed to an mailbox enabled user who would have space set aside in the mail store.

This could be probably automate this via CDO scripting.

As for address I list wouldn't create a new Global Address List unless I was giving Exchange access to students. Instead just create an ordinary address list. This way the teachers Outlook address book defaults to the teacher list and the student list is a subsidiary list in the Show name from drop down.

You need to look in System Manager > Receipients > Address Lists.
    You then attach a filter query to that list.

By the way here's what a LDAP query looks like:
    Code:
     (&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!(homeMDB=*))(!(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(|(homeMDB=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)))(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=contact))(objectCategory=group)(objectCategory=publicFolder)(objectCategory=msExchDynamicDistributionList) ))))
    This one is the defualt which pick ups everyone in the organisation. You will need to tweek it to only pickup students.

If you click on the modify button on the address properties dialog then you get a GUI tool to help you generate the filter. If you have ever used the advanced searches in Active Directory Users and Computers then you will should have an idea of how to use it. Basically you have just got to select the correct active directory attributes group name or distinguished name etc.

Here's a query wittled down to only elect users with external maiboxes but are in groups starting with 'students':

Code:
    (&(&(&(& (mailnickname=*) (| (&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!(homeMDB=*))(!(msExchHomeServerName=*))) )))(objectCategory=group)(samAccountName=students*)))
    Was this what you were thinking of Wombat?

Thank Post

thanks, I think this is what I needed, will play later.

Thank Post

I have just tried this solution but this is not really want i need. I would like a secong Global Address List or a another shared contact list that all AD users can see. But the only thing is in this secong Global Address List or shared contacts i would like new e-mail addresses, e-mail addresses used for pupils so these pupils are not exactly in the AD structure.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread