+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, FreeNAS and Database Apps in Technical; I'm looking for a solution for a local firm and which has a mixed bag of XP Pro, Vista Home ...
    richard_s

FreeNAS and Database Apps

I'm looking for a solution for a local firm and which has a mixed bag of XP Pro, Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium machines. They are looking for a simple file sharing system as well as a somewhere to run a central database application from that could be accessed from any of the machines. My boss has been thinking of using an XP Pro machine for this as they only have half a dozen machines but I was thinking of using a FreeNAS box but because of the database app I was hoping that some one here could give me some advice before I go to him with the alternative.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Not sure if this on any help but I moved an Access Database type to a Freenas box - [ the .MDB files ] and not had a problem - you just need to make sure you get the permissions right - i take it you can use chmod ok ?

Tutorial for chmod

3. Thanks to mattx from:

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Not sure if this on any help but I moved an Access Database type to a Freenas box - [ the .MDB files ] and not had a problem - you just need to make sure you get the permissions right - i take it you can use chmod ok ?

Tutorial for chmod
    I'm a little rusty using chmod but I can get myself back upto speed pretty quickly. I'm hoping this is an Access based system but won't know for definite until a few days time. If it isn't Access based then I may well have to rethink this whole thing.

Thank Post
    XP Pro has a set number Remote of connections it allows at once... i think 5
    so a NAS box would be better.

Thank Post
    If its based on SQL you may be able to get MySQL working with a bit of tweaking, heres a thread that may help: SourceForge.net: FreeNAS: Help

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread