+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Network over mains in Technical; I have recently bought some Advent Ethernet over AC adaptors. These are working fine and I can now get PCs ...
    Thank Post

Network over mains

I have recently bought some Advent Ethernet over AC adaptors. These are working fine and I can now get PCs onto the network where it was previously impossible. However I am now getting a problem with other machines on the network. We have a mixture of W2K and XP and the XP ones take an incredibly long time to log on - the W2K are fine. This problem only happens when the Advent adaptors are active.

Any ideas or suggestions about this because my joy at getting 2 more PCs working has now been replace by 6 machines refusing to log on.

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suspect it's because the ethernet other power adapters work like a hub and and possible causing lots of un nesasery network traffic. it may also be down to the security in place on the devices

Thank Post
    you will also have issues if you try to cross fuse boxes filtered sockets/pwer bars etc.

box

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    As far as I'm aware, these devices don't act as hubs but more extending the range of Ethernet. The Advent Powerline is capable of upto 85Mbps with a 300m range. It should be much better than 54Mbps wireless I would of thought.

Could you try using the Advent Powerline within the same room (initially) and repeat the logon test? Then maybe try separating them further and further and see if you notice a pattern. You could also try logging onto the computer with a local account and transferring some big files (100MB+) and see how long this takes.

Does the Advent software/driver tell you the real network speed as Windows will just report 100Mbps Ethernet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought these devices were only intended for small home circuits and not large sites like schools. Are these special one's?

Thank Post

devolo

you should have a look at devolo.
    Welcome to devolo
    they do have suppliers in the UK

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Be aware there may be security issues with ethernet over power. You have no real way to tell how far your data is being transmitted upstream outside of the school buildings possibly into adjacent homes. Unlikely to be an issue but just so you are aware.

Thank Post
    How many adaptors are you using. Sounds to me like you've introduced a loop into your network.

My feeling is these are intended for domestic use, get your machines cabled properly.

Thank Post
    We successfully used a pair of Devolo network-over-power adaptors to reach two classrooms in the middle of nowhere (huts!), where we couldn't put in a direct cable. Devolo kit comes with a security app which means you can lock them down to only talking to each other. Faster than wireless but not much, plus the encryption also cuts the effective bandwidth further. Devolo software will show you the actual speed (but not the effective speed).

They are essentially for home use but that's because you can only use them on circuits on the same phase - many schools have all sorts of mixes of phase about the place (ours does!) whereas homes are all one phase (unless you live in a huge place or have a dodgy electrician). Otherwise fuse boxes aren't a problem - I use a pair at home on two different ring circuits.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread