+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Smoothwall Express 3.0 NAT a NAT? in Technical; I am trying to set up a Smoothwall Express 3.0 proxy to allow my school network to connect to the ...

Thank Post

Smoothwall Express 3.0 NAT a NAT?

I am trying to set up a Smoothwall Express 3.0 proxy to allow my school network to connect to the internet supplied by our county council. The new setup is to replace an old Cobalt Qube that has failed after 9 years continuous service (PSU problem) The old proxy used Squid and with the exception of occasional problems caused by log files accumulating faster than the cron job to rotate them was very reliable.

The academic network (270+ computers) is a Windows 2003 domain. Network mask 255.255.0.0. we use the 10.0.xxx.xxx IP range. Almost all the computers gain their addresses via DHCP. A group policy sets the proxy settings used by IE to connect via 10.0.0.1 using port 3128. The county supply us with a single outward facing static IP address 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, and the addresses of primary and secondary DNS servers. We have to use port 3128 to connect to their smoothwall proxy server c***.xxx.sch.uk.

Physically the smoothwall server lies between the school network and the county WAN connected via a pair of NICs

If as an administrator I manually enter c***.xxx.sch.uk. and port 3128 into the IE LAN settings I can connect to the internet. This must be going through the smoothwall proxy as there is no other physical path it can take. But no matter what settings I try in the smoothwall configuration I cannot get machines to connect via 10.0.0.1:3128.

I would welcome any suggestions as how to proceed.

Bob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you set it as a transparent proxy? if so you don't set the properties in IE. you set the default gateway in DHCP to the smothwall box.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Have you set it as a transparent proxy? if so you don't set the properties in IE. you set the default gateway in DHCP to the smothwall box.
    Hi

10.0.0.1 is my default gateway. The IE settings (set as a GMO) are 10.0.0.1 on port 3128. The internal (green) interface of the smoothwall box has the address 10.0.0.1. I have tried both transparent proxy on and off to no avail. Are you suggesting clearing the IE settings in the proxy GMO?

Bob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, try clearing the proxy settings in group policy then set the server as transparent. i take it your smoothwall ip address on green is 10.0.0.1

5. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Diatom (12th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Yes, try clearing the proxy settings in group policy then set the server as transparent. i take it your smoothwall ip address on green is 10.0.0.1
    I will give it a go today, but since the settings for the IE already point to 10.0.0.1 and tell it to use port 3128 I am not sure how this will be different except for not giving IE the information about what port to use. Remember I can manually configure a browser (as administrator) to point to c***.xxx.sch.uk and internet traffic passes through the smoothwall OK. The original IE settings (10.0.0.1:3128) worked with the old Squid proxy.

I have not enabled DHCP on the smoothwall box because I do not want another DHCP server on my network. (I already have two running, one on each of my Win 2003 servers)

The only place I have set a gateway is on the Interface tab of the Networking screen where it asks for the server gateway In this section I have set the server gateway to 172.xxx.xxx.1 and given the IP addresses of two DNS servers on the county council WAN. Ihave I got this wrong? Does this section need information about the Green zone rather than the red zone?

Bob

Thank Post
    Problem solved now. Port forwarding was working all the time. The problem was with the group policy setting the proxy set up in IE

Many thanks to FN-GM for taking the time to reply with helpful suggestions.

Bob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent, typical of Mcirosoft to let you down

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread