+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Pre-terminated fibre quality in Technical; I've used Videk's pre-terminated fibre a few times and have had no problems but am starting to wonder why they ...
    Thank Post

Pre-terminated fibre quality

I've used Videk's pre-terminated fibre a few times and have had no problems but am starting to wonder why they are so expensive. I know that Videk tends to be pretty expensive anyway, but I'm wondering what's so special about Videk's 50m 62.5 ST-ST cable compared to this that they charge 100 more. Also, this CMS cable is cheaper still. Any ideas?
    Last edited by meastaugh1; 8th February 2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Inaccurate costs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The specs look exactly the same so I'm not sure what extra you're getting for your money.

If you look at the unterminated fibre from Videk it's a much more reasonable price so it looks as if they're just charging silly money for the termination.

It used to be really time consuming (= expensive) to terminate fibre (lots of polishing and so on) but now it takes seconds so the charge isn't really justifiable any longer.

I'd give Videk a ring and see if they can reduce the price; if not, I'd buy from one of the other companies.

3. Thanks to srochford from:

meastaugh1 (8th February 2009)

Thank Post

Post Multimode Fibre & Connectors

We use CMS on a regular basis, their fibre charges are reasonable, but you might get a better price from Auriga ([url=http://www.aurigaeurope.com]/url]).

Termination connectors have moved on quite a lot since ST - for multimode fibre (OM1, OM2, OM3) we generally spec LC or SC connectors - these give lower insertion losses and can connect directly to SX GBIC - the old style standard GBICs are SC connectors, whilst the smaller SFP GBICs use LC connectors).

To be honest 50m isn't a great length, so you could get away any grade of multimode and type of connector, especially in what appears to be a big patch lead. If you wanted to run longer distances >200m or possibly run 10Gbit I would recommend OM3/3E fibre.

regards - Jake

5. Thanks to Jake_Gully from:

meastaugh1 (18th February 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread