+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, OpenFire Configuration Question in Technical; Hey all, For those of you using Openfire with Spark, I've a couple of questions I'm hoping you can answer. ...

Thank Post

OpenFire Configuration Question

Hey all,

For those of you using Openfire with Spark, I've a couple of questions I'm hoping you can answer.

1. Is it possible to configure Openfire to look at more than one OU? Obviously as technicians we are in a different OU to other staff members.

2. Can anyone help me understand how to configure it to pull certain criteria from AD? I only want full names really, but thus far it only grabs usernames.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss31 View Post
    1. Is it possible to configure Openfire to look at more than one OU? Obviously as technicians we are in a different OU to other staff members.
    As far as i can work out it will look in the first ou specified and then all child objects. The first screen shot shows my ad set up with techs in child ou under all staff. Openfire picks up all groups. Second screen is roster list to show what it gets.
    2. Can anyone help me understand how to configure it to pull certain criteria from AD? I only want full names really, but thus far it only grabs usernames.
    For pulling the required info it uses the same notation as active directory itself. If you want to see what each field is called you can use adsiedit to view them. Third screenshot. The notation is case sensative as you can see from the openfire admin page
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Thank you for your response. The problem is, there is no OU in which *all* staff are contained. What I suppose I could do is put in our entire directory structure and just have "DC=domain,DC=net". I'd then have to filter which users are granted permission to use Spark, which I'm guessing can be customised to search only for a "staff" prefix when searching for usernames?

Thank Post
    You can put in a user filter to filter users that are managed by one person. If I'm correct this means that you can select all of your users you want to include in your openfire database and set them to be managed a user named spark or chat. Then all other users will be ignored

I believe the notation for this is something like

(managedBy=CN='your user,CN=users,DC=domain,dc=com)

which can be put into the user filter box on the config screen or put straight into the xml config file

Thank Post
    I finally have it working! Now I'll get told the staff don't actually want it! Ah well, it's all a learning experience.

Many thanks for your help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread