+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Wireless Issue in Technical; apparently 802.11n APs can hold more connections since it has more bandwidth available. We currently have a mobile trolley of ...

Thank Post
    apparently 802.11n APs can hold more connections since it has more bandwidth available. We currently have a mobile trolley of 15 apple macbooks and an airport extreme. All connect wirelessly and use garageband. They also boot into windows. So far very few issues with the trolley.

Even that said though i am still in the same thought as yourself when it comes to wireless. I don't like wifi networks. It's not as easy as people make out to set up. It's easy to get going but when there's problems, they can be very difficult to resolve.

It's gonna be murder when the laptop per child scheme really gets underway.

Thank Post
    I have tried to plan each AP and set them on either channel 1 6 or 11 around school, to be honest i think they all overlap each other anyway, i can't figure out away to get them to not conflict with each other.

The only thing i have noticed is for the laptop trolleys to work i had to set the AP to channel 2, any other channel and they drop all the time.

Might have another go at mapping out the channels around school again and reduce signal strength, to see if the performance improves.

Thank Post
    Some overlap is ok as long as its minimal. Try to obtain a Wi-Spy as this will show frequencys that are in use around your school that don't show up using netstumbler because they are not wi-fi devices. Typically they are the monitoring systems for items such as fire and burglar alarms. I have found channel 8 is popular which wipes out channel 6 and 11 because of the frequency spread actually in use. When you set a channel the devices actually use about 3 channels either side as well.

Thank Post
    you might also consider using airodump-ng (the backtrack cd has it). It will show every AP by MAC address, the signal strength, and an approx amount of data vs beacons being sent out. I use it frequently to test if the APs are being overloaded or aren't available for connection.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NightShade01 View Post
    you might also consider using airodump-ng (the backtrack cd has it). It will show every AP by MAC address, the signal strength, and an approx amount of data vs beacons being sent out. I use it frequently to test if the APs are being overloaded or aren't available for connection.
    Good idea might have a play see what i can find, i am past caring about it right now, mabye on monday i will be bothered to sort this out, i am the right mind of put them all on channel 1 let hell break loose and wait for them to either, scrap laptops altogether or get managed system in.
    Either way i will get the blame for it not working.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Wi-Spy device we use on all site visits and surveys is cracking, it really helps to show the problem noise, we found that motion sensors and projectors a real pain and always interfer with omni directional access points.

I purchased mine from MetaGeek | Makers of the Wi-Spy Spectrum Analyzer only problem is they are US and some schools wont purchase from the US.

Cheers

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPower View Post
    I purchased mine from MetaGeek | Makers of the Wi-Spy Spectrum Analyzer only problem is they are US and some schools wont purchase from the US.
    Same here... but only because the bursar cant be bothered to do the currency conversion. Just get it on your credit card and claim it back

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12