+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Anti Spam Options? in Technical; In the last few weeks we've noticed Sophos PureMessage letting more and more spam through (think member enlargement and lonely ...
    Thank Post

Anti Spam Options?

In the last few weeks we've noticed Sophos PureMessage letting more and more spam through (think member enlargement and lonely Russian ladies )

PureMessage also managed to crash out email delivery when it's scanning engine went belly up so thus far haven't been much impressed with the new version (3) that went on our Exchange 2007 box in the summer.

The situation I'm coming up to now is that the Sophos licenses are coming up for renewal and seeing as the antivirus is pretty hopeless as well (high CPU usage, poor cleanup etc) I'm weighing up the options.

Checked out MessageLabs but it's far too pricey, about double what we pay for the AV and antispam for just anti spam so prob out of the question.

Looking at Kaspersky for AV but not best convinved about their spam solutions yet.

We haven't got the Exchange 2007 spam agents turned on yet, that might help although is it based on the same rules Sophos is looking at?

Without the AV licenses it's about 1.5k for PureMessage, seems a bit steep so was wondering if there's anything else out there? Saw a Barracuda box I heard mentioned at Learning Tree but reviews didn't look great?

Checked out this thread...

Anti-spam for exchange 2007

Sophos was the recommended solution there, would be interested to hear if it's still doing well

What do you guys use and how well do you rate it?

Thank Post
    We use GFI MailEssentials as our Spam filter. its about 500 for 500 mailboxes I think.

Thank Post
    If you're running any SmoothWall stuff, our anti-spam is a worthwhile, cost effective add-on, but I wouldn't generally recommend it as a stand-alone, as you'd end up with bits you don't want

Thank Post
    What about Forefront?

We use it here with Exchange 2007, no problems, no virus so far... (touch wood)
    My boss has enabled SPF (?) think thats it.. and created a spam mailbox to check now and then.

Just had to get a renewal for this year... 345 for us.

Mike

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How many mailboxs do you need to protect?

Would you consider a hosted solution or is that a no no for the school, also does it need to scan in bound and out bound mail?

Also can you send me the links on the Russian Girls I am interested

Cheers

Mark

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkPower View Post
    How many mailboxs do you need to protect?

Would you consider a hosted solution or is that a no no for the school, also does it need to scan in bound and out bound mail?

Also can you send me the links on the Russian Girls I am interested

Cheers

Mark
    400 odd mailboxes, don't mind if it's hosted, software or appliance at the moment. Inbound really although outbound would be good.

As for the Russian Girls... the last one is prob best left in the inbox as she wasn't a pretty sight after the legs

We've got IPCop as our firewall, it's a fork of SmoothWall so probably doesn't have the spam filter on it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    400 odd mailboxes, don't mind if it's hosted, software or appliance at the moment. Inbound really although outbound would be good.

As for the Russian Girls... the last one is prob best left in the inbox as she wasn't a pretty sight after the legs

We've got IPCop as our firewall, it's a fork of SmoothWall so probably doesn't have the spam filter on it?
    No, for the anti-spam (which contains 3rd party modules) you need SmoothWall's commercial or Schools edition.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What version are you running?
    Version 3 is much better for windows. Also what limits have you set?
    TBH we have had no problems with puremessage and moving from 2->3 made a huge difference using recipient verification.

Thank Post
    We currently use Powerful eMail Filtering, Virus & SPAM Protection | CensorNet MailSafe but will probably be moving the Anti-Spam to our Smoothwall box when the annual contract runs out for Mailsafe in September.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sorry the thoughts I had on hosting are just not going to cut it on cost, I would pick up on the Smoothwall side of things and see if you are able to talk to Tom and look at the bigger picture with there kit.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    another vote here GFI MailEssentials, I've had it setup on a Exchange Server 2007 box, excellent product.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    What version are you running?
    Version 3 is much better for windows. Also what limits have you set?
    TBH we have had no problems with puremessage and moving from 2->3 made a huge difference using recipient verification.
    It's version 3, anything 70% or over treated as spam, 35% or over as suspected spam. Problem is all the spam we're getting is being scored as 8% as all the words *look* OK and the image is the spam bit

As for recipient verification is that the Microsoft SPF service?

Question comes down to whether it's worth keeping PureMessage as a separate product after Sophos AV goes (can't see one good reason for keeping the antivirus when there's better options available) as it came in a package that's pretty good price wise...

Think the Barracuda box here...

http://www.barracudanetworks.com/ns/...m_overview.php

Could be the alternative option I'm looking at right now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's version 3, anything 70% or over treated as spam, 35% or over as suspected spam. Problem is all the spam we're getting is being scored as 8% as all the words *look* OK and the image is the spam bit
    We use 40% marked as spam, 20% suspected spam here but it depends on what score any legitimate mail is getting at your end.
    Also ensure your updates are set to run every 5 minutes as it appears sophos drops small updates all the time to ensure its accurate. This update rate seems to be very important as when we had it on 60 mins things were much worse.

As for recipient verification is that the Microsoft SPF service?
    No its in puremessage. It only really applies I guess if you have your box sitting as a smtp rather then installed on exchange but basically it verifies each incoming email is going to a valid account and if not it nicely drops with a error to the server mid connection.
    You can find the settings in config->Filtering->Recipient Verification and to config the AD part look in config->Users and groups->Active Directory.

I am just surprised your having spam problems as it really has been the best antispam product we have had.

Thank Post
    Turned on recipient validation now, should stop the undeliverable messages I get when spam is sent to stuff like pc023@... (where we don't have any addresses like that).

Where it's really falling down is emails like this...
    (spam score is anywhere from 8% to 30%)

FW: {Spam?} Don't you love it when they come [Scanned][Spam score:32%]

An image about POWER Gain+
    (guess what it's for!)

You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to the Abrams Advertising newsletter as usernameremoved@redbridge-iae.ac.uk.
    If you wish to change or remove your email address, please visit this link

Abrams Advertising respects your privacy. Our Privacy Policy.

Our Contact Information.
    7513 Connelley Dr Hanover, MD 21076

2008 Abrams Advertising.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Must admit, we had GFI Mailessentials here when I started and had no end of staff saying they were receiving about 30/40 messages a day of spam.
    On ZeroHours recommendation I purchased PureMessage and it's been on default spam settings. I think we have had about 3 spam messages get through since last November, the rest are dropped (and we use recipient validiation too).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast