+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Anti Spam Options? in Technical; Must admit I personally have been very happy with Puremessage and still use and recommend it...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Must admit I personally have been very happy with Puremessage and still use and recommend it

Thank Post
    I would suspect the issue resides in your AntiSpam Allow List. People using PureMessage 2.6 generally needed to add their own domains into the whitelist to get everything working. I would export out your allow list and save changes.

Adding recipient validation will also increase your spam catch rate.

Thank Post
    Another thing that may be worth trying is Connection Filtering in Exchange and using a dnsbl like spamhaus / spamcop.

Also if you have a spare box lying around, you try setting up a Postfix / Exim gateway and run Spamassassin and ClamAV. I did this recently and our spam dropped by about 99%, and it didn't cost us a penny (apart from roughly 2 hours of my time spent setting it up.)

SpamAssassin: Welcome to SpamAssassin
    ::: Official Home Page for MailScanner - Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam Filter :::

Iain.
    Last edited by Iain; 22nd January 2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling!

Thank Post
    PureMessage trashed itself again the other day taking the Exchange Transport Service with it... Sophos reply to try the new update but tbh it shouldn't be happening in the first place!

Still looking at options, now also stuff like Messagelabs and Mimecast in addition to the Sophos ES appliance. I like the idea of getting the filtering off to something else rather than being done on the mail server itself... anyone using anything similar?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well we actually have sophos running on a Win 2k3 box as a smtp role which sits between ISA and exchange to filter mail while off of exchange. This is hyper-v'ed as well and works well for us so far.

Thank Post
    To add to this, I am looking at the Smoothwall option for when I hope to bring our email in house as my UTM-1000 will work nicely with it (or flippin hope it would or else Gav's in for it)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    PureMessage trashed itself again the other day taking the Exchange Transport Service with it... Sophos reply to try the new update but tbh it shouldn't be happening in the first place!
    The people in support know what they’re talking about! Version 3.0.2 (currently the latest) is far better than either 3.0.0 or 3.0.1. If you're not using 3.0.2 then you should definitely upgrade ASAP. I've seen a number of problems with 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 - hence the 3.0.2 release. I know some people will say 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 is working happily but there are problems out there that are fixed in 3.0.2. It’s definitely worth reading the release notes to see what’s fixed (and what's not )…

PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange version 3.0.2 release notes

Some people find PureMessage works really well out-of-the-box. However it is normal to have to fine-tune the settings for your precise network. The following articles might help you understand how PureMessage can work even better for you...

PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange: how to configure for the best spam capture rates

Sophos Extensible List: SXL

Spam campaigns can last only a matter of minutes; therefore it's important to keep up to date. If you are seeing a particular type of spam that is getting a low score then maybe we've not seen many samples. You can submit samples of spam email in the same way as viruses...

How to submit spam, and false-positive spam samples to SophosLabs

If you do decide to upgrade I want it to be as easy as possible. So a heads-up that we have tightened up on the requirements. Namely service pack levels for OS, Exchange and the MSDE/SQL that houses the databases...

Sophos PureMessage for Microsoft Exchange - system requirements

If you hit any problems or need further advice please call us free 24/7/365...

Sophos - Contact technical support

Regards,

Sophos Technical Support

P.S. Regarding your moving from SAV: I know we’ve been weak on virus removal and that’s going to change soon!

Thank Post
    I have shifted from Messagelabs to Webroot / EmailSystems (another cloud solution)

Definately worth a look - they give big discounts for education.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    To add to this, I am looking at the Smoothwall option for when I hope to bring our email in house as my UTM-1000 will work nicely with it (or flippin hope it would or else Gav's in for it)
    Hi John

We will probably go down this route also in the summer. I use Powerful eMail Filtering, Virus & SPAM Protection | CensorNet MailSafe currently but might as well use the UTM after all its paid for and will save me money on renewing Mailsafe product.

I am not sure what the load would be like for 120 staff and 1400 student accounts as well as continue to filter and if its possible to filter two separate mail servers (staff and students), but thats all part of the trial I guess

Thank Post
    Talk to the guys at Smoothwall about it, if you have the UTM1000 I'd think it would be fine, its a very beefy spec box. I haven't used the mail stuff before, but the pricing Gav sent me looked very good to say I already have the box (or will have once we've got it and trialled and paid for it) so I am confident if Smoothwall are willing to put there name by it and sell it that they trust it as a good product as if it was pants they risk upsetting a lot of people quickly, so I'm sure it will all be good and work well.

Based on sizing when being honest i'd get away with the new baby UTM-300 but as I told Gav and he confirmed that tbh that I should get the big one really as its got such good throughput etc that I should look at that and I did and have worked it out for that, as at the end of the day I could end up with 2 or 3 external feeds into it, 20 staff VPN'ing into it, Mail Filtering, Web filtering, virus scanning, caching, report creating etc etc etc so as you can see the list of potential is great for it, we have 250 workstations max and around 550 users at present so not a huge number of workstations but the potential for future is there with the bigger box.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Talk to the guys at Smoothwall about it, if you have the UTM1000 I'd think it would be fine, its a very beefy spec box. I haven't used the mail stuff before, but the pricing Gav sent me looked very good to say I already have the box (or will have once we've got it and trialled and paid for it) so I am confident if Smoothwall are willing to put there name by it and sell it that they trust it as a good product as if it was pants they risk upsetting a lot of people quickly, so I'm sure it will all be good and work well.

Based on sizing when being honest i'd get away with the new baby UTM-300 but as I told Gav and he confirmed that tbh that I should get the big one really as its got such good throughput etc that I should look at that and I did and have worked it out for that, as at the end of the day I could end up with 2 or 3 external feeds into it, 20 staff VPN'ing into it, Mail Filtering, Web filtering, virus scanning, caching, report creating etc etc etc so as you can see the list of potential is great for it, we have 250 workstations max and around 550 users at present so not a huge number of workstations but the potential for future is there with the bigger box.
    We have the UTM-1000 yes. 850ish workstations and 1500 users, we will be looking at getting some of the things you have mentioned live in the summer holidays when I get the chance to have a play.

I'm especially interested in the VPN and e-mail filtering functionalities.

Thank Post
    I guess the main selling point of PureMessage at the moment is the price as part of the Endpoint Security and Email Control package and if we move from that then I think there may be better options for the price of PureMessage as a standalone product, hence the possible shift to something else.

Had some discussions with support on the AV side but without some form of software rewrite the desktop side of things is still a bit iffy imo

Edit: Just had more spam come through - thing is the spam scores are low at like 12, 19% so PureMessage doesn't seem to identify them as spam at all?!
    Last edited by gshaw; 3rd March 2009 at 10:06 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12