+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, RADIUS and IAS in Technical; @Ash, Hi, Can you check the last Server 2003 hotfix number for me please? When I searched for it on ...

Thank Post
    @Ash,

Hi,

Can you check the last Server 2003 hotfix number for me please? When I searched for it on MS Help & Support site it said 932063 was a Vista Client Wireless hotfix?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashok View Post
    Hiya,

Can you provide the following:

- is the laptop/desktop joined to the domain?
    - what is wireless card vendor? Intel, Broadcom etc
    - If its a self-signed cert have to imported to the trusted root certification authority?

some screenshots of the remote access policies would also help.

Ash.
    Yeah joined laptop to domain.
    Wireless is builtin to laptop and is realtek 8187B
    Self signed certificate is imported in trusted root certfication authority on the laptop in question and on the IAS server. plus on the dc where the group policy is applied.

When i log on the laptop is just says "could not connect to Wireless SSID

Have attached screenshot, the laptop is in the group on the screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tomscaper; 6th November 2008 at 02:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    @Ash,

Hi,

Can you check the last Server 2003 hotfix number for me please? When I searched for it on MS Help & Support site it said 932063 was a Vista Client Wireless hotfix?

Thanks
    Hiya,

Yes you're right it is a vista hotfix. I'll update my other post.

Thanks.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tomscaper View Post
    Yeah joined laptop to domain.
    Wireless is builtin to laptop and is realtek 8187B
    Self signed certificate is imported in trusted root certfication authority on the laptop in question and on the IAS server. plus on the dc where the group policy is applied.

When i log on the laptop is just says "could not connect to Wireless SSID

Have attached screenshot, the laptop is in the group on the screenshot.
    Hmm,

Seems interesting, that realtek card seems to causes issues for a lot of people by the looks of it.

Can you post some config the "edit profile" (screenshot you sent earlier). If the card is 802.11n capable can you disable this for testing to see if there are any issues with this. Also make sure that the device is not set to power off when not i use - this setting is found in the device properties in Device Manager.

Ash.

Thank Post
    here are the screenshots of the edit part, blured out certificate as it is schools name.
    Was under the assumption the card was just 802.11b/g.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    here are the screenshots of the edit part, blured out certificate as it is schools name.
    Was under the assumption the card was just 802.11b/g.
    That looks okay to me. You could try using another laptop with another wireless card (from another vendor such as Intel) to see if the drivers for the realtek are no good. Driver updates play a big part in stable wireless connections, so far the intel wireless card are pretty good and reliable.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Try the 30 day trial of the odessey access client.

Ben

Thank Post
    That looks okay to me. You could try using another laptop with another wireless card (from another vendor such as Intel) to see if the drivers for the realtek are no good. Driver updates play a big part in stable wireless connections, so far the intel wireless card are pretty good and reliable.

Ash.
    It never connects at all even if i set it manually, it just says cannot connect to 3com or something on the lines of that.

Drivers are the new from the realtek site.

Thank Post
    It never connects at all even if i set it manually, it just says cannot connect to 3com or something on the lines of that.

Drivers are the new from the realtek site.
    Hiya,

Does it have the bubbles (kind of orbiting the icon) going around the wireless icon in the task bar (next to the clock)?

Also is the connection in windows profile set to automatic rather than manual. Having it manual will not initiate the connection during start up or other times.

My guess is that the drivers are not written very well by the looks of it. If it is possible can you use another laptop with built-in wireless card i.e. intel and then try it with that.

This will hoepfull eliminate the radius and AP side of things. Also do you get any errors in the system log on the radius server?

Ash.

10. Thanks to spc-rocket from:

tomscaper (24th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Hiya,

Does it have the bubbles (kind of orbiting the icon) going around the wireless icon in the task bar (next to the clock)?

Also is the connection in windows profile set to automatic rather than manual. Having it manual will not initiate the connection during start up or other times.

My guess is that the drivers are not written very well by the looks of it. If it is possible can you use another laptop with built-in wireless card i.e. intel and then try it with that.

This will hoepfull eliminate the radius and AP side of things. Also do you get any errors in the system log on the radius server?

Ash.
    To be honest because of the amount of time it is taking i have reset the access point to wep and i am just manually setting the key on each laptop.
    There are 60 to do and they need them yesterday. I think i will come back to this one a bit later once everything has settled down.

The connection is set to automatic. as i need this to connect when the laptop starts up incase there are any gpo updates.

the wireless in the corner does nothing and then just pops up with a message saying cannot connect to 3com, plus if it is the drivers or the built in card, then i am going to have to find another way as all 60 have the same spec.

Thanks again for all your help tho.

Thank Post
    The message that pops up when logged on is "Windows cannot log you on to 3Com"

Then another windows cannot connect you to your prefered wireless network.

Thank Post
    The error I had was the client wouldn't authenticate. The status of the wireless would remain on validating identity. I created a new certificate with a different name, assigned it to the server and client and changed the IAS policy and it worked fine.

Thanks for the help, very happy

14. Thanks to northernrob from:

Thank Post
    We are having a spate of problems with our wireless clients at the moment and this thread seems a good place to start...

Environment is 3Com WX2200 managed wireless controller, 35x 3Com AP2750 Access points. The hardware has been up & running for over a year without problems. Software environment is Server 2003, running IAS on DC, clients are all xp SP2, hardware is a mix of DELL systems, mostly Latitude with a variety of Intel and Dell wireless cards. Setup pretty much as Ash's absolutely splendid document describes although I could have done it a lot quicker with less pain if I had been able to read it before starting from scratch setting our wireless network up!

Over the last few months (since July) we have seen a gradual increase in the number of clients failing to get a working wireless connection. Symptoms reported as 'Domain not available'.

The client can see the wireless network but just sits there claiming they cannot validate. In many cases, simply connecting the machine using a CAT5 cable, leaving it a while for policies to be applied results in a happy system that can connect to wireless again. This is not always the case, and in extreme cases (mainly systems with Intel 2200BG cards) we have ended up reimaging the systems as it's quicker than spending a lot of time delving into why it won't work.

The event records on the server for IAS rarely show any indication of problems; we have had some timeouts recorded (reason code 96) but in almost all cases we see a timeout followed almost immediately by a successful connection. Client event logs are not helpful either.

Looking at 3WXM (Managed controller software) we sometimes see a failing system that has successfully contacted the WLAN controller and is sat with an IP address of 0.0.0.0, my guess is it is waiting for an IP address through DHCP and this doesn't happen for some reason.

At one point last month I had 45 laptops stacked in my office awaiting 'repair'. Curiously it only happens to student laptops, never staff. Most staff connect via CAT5 unless they are 'roaming' around the school so I guess they are less likely to have a problem.

We have yet to see the initial problem happen in front of us, where a machine suddenly decides it isn't going to play nice. I need some insight into how to get some diagnostics without having to turn on traces for 250+ student laptops and wait for the problem to happen.

I am guessing the problem seems to revolve around the DHCP and certificate authentication processes but I am at a loss right now as to why & when things break.

16. Thanks to broc from:

Thank Post
    Are you validating the server certificate provided by IAS? Is it still valid? You could try unticking the validate server under the peap settings and see if it starts working.

18. 2 Thanks to DMcCoy:

broc (12th November 2008), tomscaper (24th November 2008)

Thank Post
    I did reply to you a bit earlier but looks like that post has gone missing for some reason.

Strange.

Ash.

20. Thanks to spc-rocket from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast