+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Licensing Issue in Technical; I have an issue with server licensing that I hope can be cleared up a little here. My licensing type ...
    Thank Post

Licensing Issue

I have an issue with server licensing that I hope can be cleared up a little here.

My licensing type is set up for Per device or Per User, which I thought would be alright as I have 180 computers and 650 users. Not knowing licensing 100% i have assumed that if I buy 200 Per Device Per User CALs then I would be coverd as far as connections to the server go as there cannot be any more than 180 connections at any 1 time. I updated the licensing administrative tool to show that we have 200 CALs and am still getting the error that I have run out of licences. On further investigation, I have found that the licences are being issued to the users and they are keeping them rather than the licences being issued to the computers. So what I'm asking for help with is how do I sort out licensing so I don't have to buy a CAL for each individual user but can buy the CALs for the number of computers I have.

Thank Post

Re: Licensing Issue

When the servers are initially setup you have a choice as to the type of licensing you are going to use either per seat or per server. The per server option you need one CAL per workstation. The per seat option you need one CAL for every server you wish to connect to therefore if you have three servers used by all your workstations you would need 3 CALs per workstation. Once you choose to deploy a Microsoft server product in Per Seat mode, your choice is permanent. See also here for a better explanation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts

Years ago we had just one server in school. The school were buying Per Server (Concurrent Connections) licenses. We have about 50 or so workstations so we bought 60 licenses. This means a maximum of 60 workstations can concurrently connect to one server.

We then bought more servers and changed the licensing mode to Per Seat. As mentioned above though, you can do this move once and it cannot be reversed. Licenses in Per Seat mode give each workstation a license to connect to any number of servers you may have on your domain.

I believe it's only in Windows Server 2003 or later and not Windows 2000 Server which introduces licenses Per User, instead of just Per Server or Per Seat. I am guessing (more than likely) you have more than one server on your network, so the most appropriate licensing method would be Per Seat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Alternatively, you can just disable the licensing service and it wont moan at you anymore.

Thank Post

I've read the link and per seat is the other name for per user or per device, so we are using per seat. But I don't understand how the server can be giving licences to all our users rather than just the computers. We only have 180 computers so I bought 200 CALs, I don't want to have to buy 700 CALs because the server has decided to give users licences.

Thank Post

@Geoff

Is that allowed??????

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Yep. But you only get to know about it if you go on a certain MS course!

As long as you've physically got enough licenses it's fine.

Thank Post

Geoff, your a genieus, now i can concentrate on any other errors that come up in my event log.

I know I have enough CALs for the devices on the network, at least the event log won't be full of little red crosses now.

Thanks again.

Thank Post

I'm positive the link petectid gave is out of date. I apologise if I am wrong on this, however Windows Server 2003 does introduce Per User licensing models.

Per Server = You buy the number of licenses required for concurrent access to one server, so if you have 100 workstations, it would be advisable to buy at least 100 CALs.

Per Seat = You buy the number of licenses required so each workstation has a license. The workstation can then connect to any number of servers on a network.

Per User = You buy the number of licenses required for each user and that license roams with the user, so you could have 20 workstations, but only 10 users so this licensing model introduced in Windows Server 2003 would be more appropriate.

Most schools these days do have more than one server, so they should be running in Per Seat mode. So for example if you have 100 workstations and 3 servers and you needed to add another server, it wouldn't cost you anything, as each workstation already as the correct CAL. Only if you increased the number of workstations on the network, would you be required to buy additional Per Seat CALs.

@Geoff - Are you refering to the "License Logging Service"?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Are you refering to the "License Logging Service"
    Yep, that's the one. I dug about and found an article on it too.

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...tml?bucket=ETA

Thank Post

There is a good reason that the licensing service is disabled by default on server 2003, it has been broken for years! I always used to tell it I had 10000 licenses so it would shut up, just keep an eye on your actual license allocation with paper

Thank Post

So MS are admitting that it is rubbish!! And unsurprisingly Product Activation is the replacement unless you have a volume license agreement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you have a volume license agreement you will probably be using per cpu licenses and thus not care about CALs.

Thank Post

The best bet is to manage your own licenses and dont let the server do it hehe

I use Device CALs for client workstatations connecting to the windows servers - as you can connect to as many windows servers as you like with each device cal [although theres bound to be some exceptions such as software servers i.e. MS SQL, Exchange, etc..] - and then for things like Exchange, I purchased various types of CALs to cover each, and every situation [i hope hehe].

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post

I've never used Microsoft Licensing as its a waste of time.

Disable and manage your licenses manually is my advice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast