+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wireless Networks Thread, Issues with Extricom EXRP - 40 and intel 3945ABG? in Technical; Hi guy First post is a "please help" one, so thank you in advance! A little while ago one of ...
    Thank Post

Issues with Extricom EXRP - 40 and intel 3945ABG?

Hi guy

First post is a "please help" one, so thank you in advance!

A little while ago one of the departments in the school I now manage went about getting their own wireless kit for their department.

The kit they bought consists of one EXSW-800 Switch and four EXRP-40.

The Laptops they bought are HP 6710b with the intel 3945ABG wifi card.

They have 20 of the above laptops that due to never being able to find the network on boot cannot be used for teaching. We have looked into the drivers and updated them to the latest offering and also tried using the intel PRO wifi connector and we are still having issues.

Running a ping -t, we can see we are getting absolutely awful replies, 1ms up to 1500+ms and then dropping for a few lines and then back up to 1-50-29-100-223-1-1-2- etc etc...

I have just tried another laptop, my eeepc 901 and I get great, solid replies... e.g. 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1, even walking through from point to point I am getting seemless hand over, so as much as I was ready to poo poo the Extricom stuff, after reading here, it is good kit.

I haven't managed to find anything on the web about known issues with this HP laptop, but can anyone add an idea or something to try?

Thanks again

Tony

Thank Post
    Had a similar problem with when I had managed wireless kit installed (3com) and laptops using the same 3945abg cards. In the end the supplier had to get 3com to look at it, turned out to be a problem with the firmware on the WX4400 server. Have you made sure you have the latest firmware installed on the extricom kit?

3. Thanks to marco84 from:

Tony_Mc (8th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Try the Odessey client from Juniper on them.

Ben

5. Thanks to plexer from:

Tony_Mc (8th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marco84 View Post
    Had a similar problem with when I had managed wireless kit installed (3com) and laptops using the same 3945abg cards. In the end the supplier had to get 3com to look at it, turned out to be a problem with the firmware on the WX4400 server. Have you made sure you have the latest firmware installed on the extricom kit?
    Thank you for your reply, I will have a look into this, as the kit was put in without IT input from the school, we dont have the login details for the box... Will have to work around that, but that sounds good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Try the Odessey client from Juniper on them.

Ben
    Thanks Ben

I will try this also, as I can do this straight away without needing access to the box.

Tony

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    Thanks Ben

I will try this also, as I can do this straight away without needing access to the box.

Tony
    Hmm the Intel wireless cards are pretty good and follows all the standards with wireless etc so i would not put it down to the driver but some communication issues i.e. the controller is timing out or the card before its ready to process the traffic.

The odessey or Cisco Secure Services client would also be ideal to test. You can download a copy and use it for 90 days.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Are you using DHCP? Sounds like a stupid questions but the Extricom system has issues with multicast DHCP and your DHCP server may need to be changed to unicast. If you speak to Extricom they know about this and will give you the info. I have contact info for one of their sales people, in the office. Don't entirely know what needs to be done but can find out or give you contact details.

Rob

Thank Post
    Hi Tony,

It is worth finding out the logon details to the Extricom kit, the latest firmware has a number of enhancements around client support, but failing that you may want to check a few things:

Power save mode, the wireless card may be set to save power, this means it goes to sleep when not in use and can lead to long ping times as the card has to wake up. I would suggest you select maximum performance and minimum power save.

Roaming aggression, some client cards allow this to be configured, with the Extricom system there is no roaming involved so you can minimise the time the client spends looking for better options.

There are other things you can try, but I would try these first as they are simple enough. If you do not have the password for the Extricom switch you could try the default which is admin and Switch1, you will need to access the box with https://x.x.x.x, if that does not work then re-post and we can try some other ways in.

Regards

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chilbs View Post
    Are you using DHCP? Sounds like a stupid questions but the Extricom system has issues with multicast DHCP and your DHCP server may need to be changed to unicast. If you speak to Extricom they know about this and will give you the info. I have contact info for one of their sales people, in the office. Don't entirely know what needs to be done but can find out or give you contact details.

Rob
    Hi Rob

I was wondering about the DHCP business but we set them as static for the time being as we were trying to find a workaround. Thank you for the heads up on the multicast though, that is useful to know.

Tony

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keeleyp View Post
    Hi Tony,

It is worth finding out the logon details to the Extricom kit, the latest firmware has a number of enhancements around client support, but failing that you may want to check a few things:

Power save mode, the wireless card may be set to save power, this means it goes to sleep when not in use and can lead to long ping times as the card has to wake up. I would suggest you select maximum performance and minimum power save.

Roaming aggression, some client cards allow this to be configured, with the Extricom system there is no roaming involved so you can minimise the time the client spends looking for better options.

There are other things you can try, but I would try these first as they are simple enough. If you do not have the password for the Extricom switch you could try the default which is admin and Switch1, you will need to access the box with https://x.x.x.x, if that does not work then re-post and we can try some other ways in.

Regards

Phil
    Thank you very much for this Phil

I am trying to find it on the network now...

Will be back in contact later today

Tony

Thank Post
    Tony,

Are you basically saying that you have HP wireless Laptops trying to connect to a wireless network?

If so, are the laptops able to see the SSID? before they even get an IP they must be able to connect to your router (wireless) assuming you are using this and not as a IP Helper/DHCP Agent.

To me it appears as a common issue with HP laptops connecting to wirelss networks, IF you are using wndows XP?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    Tony,

Are you basically saying that you have HP wireless Laptops trying to connect to a wireless network?

If so, are the laptops able to see the SSID? before they even get an IP they must be able to connect to your router (wireless) assuming you are using this and not as a IP Helper/DHCP Agent.

To me it appears as a common issue with HP laptops connecting to wirelss networks, IF you are using wndows XP?
    Yeah

I have some connecting and some not, when they are connected though we have quite a lot of loss of data, as i mentioned ping replies are very sporadic.

There is something going on where they laptops are not picking up the signal until after login, and for a user that doesn't have a cached local account this will affect them as well as the logon scripts not running so the student doens't have their my documents mapped etc.

Tony

Thank Post
    1. How far are the access points from the laptops?
    2. Are you using Cisco LEAP or another 3rd party Wireless solution?
    3. Are they all Windows XP SP2?
    4. Is the wireless solution been in place for some time or is it new deployment?

Thank Post
    1. How far are the access points from the laptops? - 10ft/3m
    2. Are you using Cisco LEAP or another 3rd party Wireless solution? - nope
    3. Are they all Windows XP SP2? - yes
    4. Is the wireless solution been in place for some time or is it new deployment? - It is a new deployment, It was installed before the summer and only recently was the equipment starting to get used.

Thank you for your help

Thank Post
    before you logon, on a working wirelss laptop, are you being presented with any authentication program?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast