+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, Issues with Extricom EXRP - 40 and intel 3945ABG? in Technical; Originally Posted by sukh before you logon, on a working wirelss laptop, are you being presented with any authentication program? ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    before you logon, on a working wirelss laptop, are you being presented with any authentication program?
    nope, it is generally ok for Admin accounts as they can then join the network.

The problem is coming from students not being on the network so they can't log in... if you get what I mean.

Thank Post
    i understand what you mean. Can any student logon via gthe wireless laptop if they have NEVER logged on before?

Also, if they do have a local profile, was this created because students had logged on before when the laptop was connected to a wired network?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    i understand what you mean. Can any student logon via gthe wireless laptop if they have NEVER logged on before?

Also, if they do have a local profile, was this created because students had logged on before when the laptop was connected to a wired network?
    Hi

Sometimes the students can log on when they haven't before depending on whether they wireless has been picked up.

We set a GPO that has helped with logging on "always wait for the network at computer start and logon" we still have a few saving issues.

the laptops have not been used on a wired network other than when they were built.

I am going to have to factory reset the box at some point soon as I need to know the settings and perhaps change the channel it is on.

Thank Post

hp laptop issue

Hi Tony,

I suspect you may have an issue with a server, can I enquire? Do you have windows server 2003?

regards
    Ken

Thank Post
    yes, yes we do..

I am intrigued to see where you are going with this, please continue

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    A lot of wireless problems are caused by the fact that the windows supplicant just sucks at creating a machine connection thus allowing seamless domain login.

We have just installed the odessey access client on 50 laptops and they now work perfectly.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    A lot of wireless problems are caused by the fact that the windows supplicant just sucks at creating a machine connection thus allowing seamless domain login.

We have just installed the odessey access client on 50 laptops and they now work perfectly.

Ben
    Hmm, not a free solution, i could say the same thing with cisco secure services client as well as odessey. The license costs a lot in my opinion, and even if its £15-20 a seat its still too much.

Ash.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Yes there is a cost involved but compared to the amount of work we've spent in the last few years running around the laptops trying to get the to play nicely it's money well spent.

Ben

Thank Post
    Hey, Just add my two cents - firstly the default for the Extricom switches is username - admin password - Switch1 so might be worth trying that. Its definately worth getting the firmware up dated. Also one of the previous posts about multicasts is correct your server needs to accept unicast requests see below:

In order for your Windows clients to receive DHCP responses by unicast rather than broadcast, you need to configure the DHCP server accordingly to allow clients to request a unicast response. To do so, you must modify the registry on the DHCP server (assuming a Windows-based DHCP server).

1. On the server, open the Registry Editor and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DHCPServer\Parameters.

2. If the IgnoreBroadcastFlag value does not exist in this key, create it as a DWORD value.

3. Set the value of IgnoreBroadcastFlag to 0 to allow the clients to request unicast.

4. Close the Registry Editor and restart the DHCP server service.

This may solve your problem it worked for us at least - if not then you should contact Extricom there guys really know what their doing!

10. 2 Thanks to HC_Netman:

chilbs (18th December 2008), Tony_Mc (18th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Many thanks for this..

we going to look into this and also reset the switch as we don't have the access.

Thanks again, will let you know where we get with it..

Quote Originally Posted by HC_Netman View Post
    Hey, Just add my two cents - firstly the default for the Extricom switches is username - admin password - Switch1 so might be worth trying that. Its definately worth getting the firmware up dated. Also one of the previous posts about multicasts is correct your server needs to accept unicast requests see below:

In order for your Windows clients to receive DHCP responses by unicast rather than broadcast, you need to configure the DHCP server accordingly to allow clients to request a unicast response. To do so, you must modify the registry on the DHCP server (assuming a Windows-based DHCP server).

1. On the server, open the Registry Editor and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DHCPServer\Parameters.

2. If the IgnoreBroadcastFlag value does not exist in this key, create it as a DWORD value.

3. Set the value of IgnoreBroadcastFlag to 0 to allow the clients to request unicast.

This may solve your problem it worked for us at least - if not then you should contact Extricom there guys really know what their doing!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Reading this discussion from top to bottom, it makes an interesting read. The common factor is the HP wireless laptops themselves. I have 15 x HP/Compaq 6715s connecting to some HP 10AGs at one site using Windows XP SP2/SP3's Wireless Zero Configuration and experience no problems.

If possible, disable the onboard wireless and install a PCMCIA wireless card into one of the HP's and see if you have the same problem. If you don't, then great; it either means there's an issue with the wireless adapter or it's driver related.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HC_Netman View Post

This is what we have had to do with networks with Extricom kit.

Thank Post
    We have a windows Server 2008. Has anyone tried the registry fix on 2008? or is there another article. I am struggling to find a similar resolution on 2008. thanks

Thank Post
    Have tried on server 2008 but we were having other issues at the time and I have not been back to the school or had contact to find out if this works. You will probably need to speak to Extricom.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chilbs View Post
    Have tried on server 2008 but we were having other issues at the time and I have not been back to the school or had contact to find out if this works. You will probably need to speak to Extricom.
    You know if myself wanted to roll out the latest firmware for the Extricom switches, can I just download this from somewhere or do I have to go through Extricom.

I called Extricom and they said I need to go through my reseller. I am not on best terms with the reseller.

What are my options?

thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12