+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Wireless Networks Thread, D-Link access points keep crashing in Technical; We have 8 d-link DWL-2100 aps now with the POE. They run Ok but I've switched Off any fancy settings ...
    Thank Post

Re: D-Link access points keep crashing

We have 8 d-link DWL-2100 aps now with the POE. They run Ok but I've switched Off any fancy settings like xtreem G (but have turbo on). We would reguarly have 15+ computers conneting to one point.

Have you tried:
    --them in WPA-PSK? Mine seem to run reliably in that mode since a firmware update last year. Or even no encryption (for testing)
    --removing certain brands of client (esp those b devices - then you can have it on G only - any b devices connecting slows down the whole access point). We found Dlink wireless -> ethernet adaptor (G810) we bought for a printer crashed every AP nearby.
    -- Auto channel scan - the AP selects the least busy channel and it actually seems to work. (Newer Netgear APs will autonegotiate and turn down other netgear APs, apparently).

OUr main problem were the d-link cards. They caused our RM (compal) laptops to run at 100% cpu. D-Link support were useless. (RM were surprisingly helpful - but still useless!). In the end I found a driver on tsd.dlink.com.tw fixed it but dlink europe denied it even existed.

We still have a problem where the notebooks freeze for about 1 minute after 20 minutes' use. They recover and are fine - but not after a few 6 year olds have poked them. Doesn't happen on our desktops. Odd.

So yes, D-Link are rubbish.

Thank Post

We have 13 of them. I find that some of them crash every few weeks, however the one in my room crashes all the time. I discovered that this is because of the centrino technology in the laptop, it doesn't crash when I use linux, it doesn't crash when the charger is plugged in. But if its running Windows and not charging it crashes after about 5 mins.

I tried putting another wireless card in my laptop and had no problems with it, but since I use the linux now it wasn't so much of a problem until we got some new laptops last week, centrino ones. The access point in the staff room keeps going off so I'm going to have to tell the owners not to use them without chargers

Thank Post

I've had D-Link APs for over a year now, and had all the same problems: The access points work fine for a while and then just disconnect. It's impossible to ping them from either the wired or wireless side. The only solution is to reset them.

In our case, and I suspect yours too, the problem doesn't lie with the access point (not entirely anyway). It's spanning tree protocol (STP) on the switches that they're connected to. After a while a stray packet will move wirelessly from one AP to another. The switch will see this as a loop in the network and stop all traffic to the offending APs.

After Elus1v pointed this out to me, I noticed that it only affected APs connected to the fancy 3com switches. APs conected to the cheap switches that didn't have STP were unaffected.

I've disabled STP on the switch's ports the APs are connected to, and now the problem is reduced. AP's now only ned resetting once every couple of weeks, not every couple of hours.

There are some more expensive AP's (£200) that are supposed to eliminate this problem. I don't know the details, but they're designed to be used as part of a network. The D-Link ones are only intended to be used alone (eg at home).

Does this help? You've described the same symptoms as I had, and STP was the answer for me. I'm now looking at phasing in the better APs.

Thank Post

Oh and... all of mine are on POE which are plugged into a multibar at the server end. So I have a timer switch on that multibar to switch them off at night.
    This was initially because we had some dodgy wiring which caused one of them to blow up, melting the whole POE adaptor!
    However, it has the added advantage that it reduces the risk of hacking and it gives all the adaptors a good clean restart every night.

Thank Post

This is what makes this site so useful. We are just starting to look at putting in Wireless networking across our site and are intending to look at DLink as it is a recommended LEA Supplier.

As so many have suggested that the kit is kess than stable, what other equipment are people using?

Might be a good idea to start an Edu-Geek approved list of hardware just like the essential software list.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We tried DWL-2100APs once. We ordered six. None of them worked out of the box, I turned them on, connected them to a PC to configure them and the AP kept on dropping its connection to the computer. It didn't even stay up long enough to attempt a firmware update. Contacted D-Link, got them swapped. Replacements did the same. Eventually got my money back on them after a lot of arguing.

Using Linksys for the most part, they work OK-ish but have similar random locking problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I use Buffalo kit here.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked
    I've had D-Link APs for over a year now, and had all the same problems: The access points work fine for a while and then just disconnect. It's impossible to ping them from either the wired or wireless side. The only solution is to reset them.

In our case, and I suspect yours too, the problem doesn't lie with the access point (not entirely anyway). It's spanning tree protocol (STP) on the switches that they're connected to. After a while a stray packet will move wirelessly from one AP to another. The switch will see this as a loop in the network and stop all traffic to the offending APs.

After Elus1v pointed this out to me, I noticed that it only affected APs connected to the fancy 3com switches. APs conected to the cheap switches that didn't have STP were unaffected.

I've disabled STP on the switch's ports the APs are connected to, and now the problem is reduced. AP's now only ned resetting once every couple of weeks, not every couple of hours.

There are some more expensive AP's (£200) that are supposed to eliminate this problem. I don't know the details, but they're designed to be used as part of a network. The D-Link ones are only intended to be used alone (eg at home).

Does this help? You've described the same symptoms as I had, and STP was the answer for me. I'm now looking at phasing in the better APs.
    The problem is that all the Aps that are on the same switch are not failing. I have one on one switch on it s own failing and one failing on a switch shared with around three others that do not.

I also have one that has been solid since implementation on a switch that is also shared by one that has never been working properly. (both of these aren't in the same vicinity.

I have also removed WEP encryption entirely and monitored the WAPs. The two that are the biggest issue didn't even last 24 hours.

Thank Post

Hello all.

I said i would update the topic with the response i got from the D-Link consultant when he visited us so here goes.

He did not even look at any of the APs around the school (just as well as they are in the suspended ceiling) but checked the settings on one in the ICT office.

He said the wireless side of things seems fine and that he reckons its the ethernet side of things that are not working correctly. He is going to send some new WAPs (DWL-2100's) to see if these resolve the problem. We are now waiting for these to arrive.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi
    Hello all.

I said i would update the topic with the response i got from the D-Link consultant when he visited us so here goes.

He did not even look at any of the APs around the school (just as well as they are in the suspended ceiling) but checked the settings on one in the ICT office.

He said the wireless side of things seems fine and that he reckons its the ethernet side of things that are not working correctly. He is going to send some new WAPs (DWL-2100's) to see if these resolve the problem. We are now waiting for these to arrive.
    You will probably still ahve trouble. Make sure you update the firmware to the latest version straight away if they need it.

Thank Post

I have a small zone which can only be connected to the network via wireless. I have tried Belkin, Netgear and D-Link and within a short time frame, they just disconnect. In reality, none of these 'home' units work well in big locations, but we buy them 'cos they are cheap. We installed Intel 4 years ago and have never had a single issue, but they were pricey (but of course worth it!!) We are putting 50 Netgear WG302 APs in this summer. I hope these will be OK (and we are putting fibre into the area mentioned at the beginning!).

Thank Post

We have some 3com APs that you have just reminded me about. We purchased the D-Links as we needed so many. The 3coms cost around £210 and we purchased three. I might drag them out of the store room and see how they go...

I will update firmware ASAP but they've got to get here first. Already i haven't received the email that was supposed to have arrived yesterday.

The guy who came apparently deals with the public sector for D-Link on his own, around 45% of their trade?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12