+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Slow TFTP transfers in Technical; I have a TFTP server setup for use with PXE booting Thinstation clients. Originally I used tftpd32 running as a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Slow TFTP transfers

I have a TFTP server setup for use with PXE booting Thinstation clients. Originally I used tftpd32 running as a windows 2003 server on my DHCP server to do this. However the transfers were very slow. I tried fiddling with the various options (like turning on/off PXE mode and the read ahead option with little success). I then tried to use Solarwinds TFTP server, with the same result.

At this point I gave up and used atftpd on a linux box. Suprisingly this worked fine out of the box. So I left it for a while figuring it's a Windows issue.

However the box I am using for atftp isn't doing anything else and the time has come where I need to use it for something else as basically it's wasted.

So I tried again on Windows (this time our shiney new 2008 DHCP server) with tftp32 and solar winds tftpd where upon the same problems cropped up. However this time round I also tried WinAgents TFTP server. Suprisingly this worked out of the box just fine. However it's shareware. So I can't really justify buying it when atftpd works for free, at least on a *nix machine

So clearly, it's not a Windows vs Linux thing. It's something to do with how the tftp is configured. However at this point I've run out of ideas.

Thank Post
    Have you tried dumping the traffic enroute to/from the fine and slow TFTPDs, see if it's an odd parameter being sent that only certain servers are handling properly?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That was going to be the next thing to try.

Thank Post

Free, Fast TFTP tool

From PacketTrap Networks:
    PacketTrap Networks | Download

Thank Post
    How big are your thinstation images? Ours are around 7-8mb for a rdp frontend. Apart from the obvious bigger = longer to send, is there a set size at which things slow down?

Alternatively, how well does an non-service app work, say pumpkin? KIN:umpkin::description I use it here for dumping firmware to and from switches.

If you want to keep using atftp, is slinging ESXi on the server, carving off a minimal chunk of resources for a linux vm providing atftpd and using the rest for $other_use an option?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread