+ Post New Thread
Wireless Networks Thread, Re naming computers in Technical; I've got some computers to move from the suite to classroooms, they are currently on wsus and ad with names ...
    Thank Post

Re naming computers

I've got some computers to move from the suite to classroooms, they are currently on wsus and ad with names - suite01 etc.

If I rename them by leaving the domain and rejoin them with a new name, will this cause any problems with wsus, sophos and ad?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    I've got some computers to move from the suite to classroooms, they are currently on wsus and ad with names - suite01 etc.

If I rename them by leaving the domain and rejoin them with a new name, will this cause any problems with wsus, sophos and ad?
    no should be fine. When we did this i reimaged the room. Took 2 clicks with ghost console. once that was done just rename with sysprep. Its easier.

Thank Post
    Why do you have to remove the machine from active directory to rename the computer?

I would normally just rename the computer and run a "wsus change id.bat"

with this in it

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate /v AccountDomainSid /f
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate /v PingID /f
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Win dowsUpdate /v SusClientId /f
    cls
    @echo Triggering detection after resetting WSUS client identity
    net stop wuauserv
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow

This will rest the wsus id.

Now delete the old machine name from wsus and sophos and it just works.

If you run ocs inventory you will have to get it to change its id as well but thats just a script as well.

Lastly dont forget to move the machine in AD to the correct OU.

Wsus will pick the machine up under the new name and so will sophos, not a problem.

You might have to move the computer to the correct group in sophos and wsus as they will be detected in unasigned but thats a couple of clicks.

Richard
    Last edited by ricki; 28th November 2008 at 12:44 PM.

4. 2 Thanks to ricki:

AngryTechnician (29th November 2008), chrbb (28th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    2 separate issues - @chrbb wants to rename some PCs (so the names match physical locations) and wants to make sure there's no problem in WSUS

if you just rename them in AD then WSUS will still work but I seem to remember that you'll get two machines appearing. You can either just delete the old name from the console or you can use the reset method you've documented.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No need to drop them off the network or go through AD deleting duplicates. All you need to do is go into system properties and change the machine name on each workstation, this will prompt you for an admin password then will change the existing machine account name in AD.

It will leave the machine account exactly where it was in AD so you may not have to move it depending on the structure in your setup.

Then just run the WSUS reset thing from above and your done. I rename machines like this all the time with no hassels. I don't use WSUS at that site though (ISA caching rule instead) so I am not 100% on that aspect but suspect that it will reregister itself to WSUS in time without needing to be reset manually.

Thank Post
    Or just name your PC based on serial# or asset tag# (for example) - then when the inevitable room move comes round it's one less thing to do

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Or just name your PC based on serial# or asset tag# (for example) - then when the inevitable room move comes round it's one less thing to do
    We thought that but its a pain when using VNC. I know all the computers names and where they are at work, its easy to connect up then.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread